PDA

View Full Version : this boar-hunting thread got me thinking...

thefinger
04-25-2007, 3:06 AM
...and now I can't stop! I started talking to my friend about possibly hunting some wild pigs this summer and he got excited and then I got excited and then we both were excited and now we are both REALLY excited ahhhh!!......

Now I'm looking at the CA F&G website and reading all kinds of articles on boar hunting in California. I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with all of you. Is there anyone in Norcal that would be willing to show me and my pal the ropes of boar hunting at anytime in June or July of this year? Also, what are the rules for carrying a back-up pistol while you hunt? Do you have to open-carry or can you just keep your pistol in your jacket pocket or backpack?

edwardm
04-25-2007, 8:12 AM
If you start in June/July, you're going to be hot, sweaty and miserable and may not find many pigs. Pigs don't sweat, so they wallow in mud. When it gets too hot, the pigs will find a shady place to bed down and just not move during the day, at all, until it cools a bit, and then they'll head towards wallows.

Staking out a wallow is a possibility, but since they can smell you about 15 miles before you can smell them, they'll avoid the area. I'd try right now while the weather is cool and damp (but not rainy). They'll be more active at all hours of the day, as opposed to just early morning and late evening later in the year. Right now, as the wild grasses are coming in, they'll be easier to spot on open, grassy hillsides feeding. Or start when the acorns start to drop, but before the rains come.

Finally, my experience with pigs is that they're like schools of fish (I fish, too). You can go weeks in really prime pig territory and not see a footprint, let alone the pig attached to that footprint. But, once you come upon the herd, there'll be pigs everywhere, falling out of the trees, popping up from under the rocks and maybe even hiding in your rifle case!! ;) Be patient, be ready to place a good first shot, and be ready for the follow-up shot (practice, practice, practice!).

As for carrying, I'll leave the question to someone else. Personally, I carry open (as a matter of convenience, not law) when hunting pig. However, I usually hunt only private property these days.

...and now I can't stop! I started talking to my friend about possibly hunting some wild pigs this summer and he got excited and then I got excited and then we both were excited and now we are both REALLY excited ahhhh!!......

Now I'm looking at the CA F&G website and reading all kinds of articles on boar hunting in California. I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with all of you. Is there anyone in Norcal that would be willing to show me and my pal the ropes of boar hunting at anytime in June or July of this year? Also, what are the rules for carrying a back-up pistol while you hunt? Do you have to open-carry or can you just keep your pistol in your jacket pocket or backpack?

battlehatch
04-25-2007, 8:19 AM
My roommate and I have pig tags in out wallets for when we are out hiking around. So far we have just done "armed hikes" but one of these days, we will see something. As far as packing a sidearm, I open carry because if something is charging me or in really close, I may not be able to get it in my scope fast enough. I think there is a regulation, and I'm sure someone will quote it, that states you can concealed carry during your hunt. Another thing is make sure you have the right ammo and equipment. If you are out at a place like Lake Sonoma bow hunting, you better not have a sidearm. Make sure you have soft points or HP's loaded in there too. No FMJ!

FreedomIsNotFree
04-25-2007, 2:13 PM
You can open carry, loaded, as long as you are in an UNincorporated part of the State. There may be some local restrictions on hunting/shooting so I would recommend speaking to the local Rangers for specifics.

For example, in the Carmel Valley area, its Unincorporated, but you can not shoot near or off Tassajara Rd.

Rob454
04-25-2007, 3:51 PM
I jsut open carry. Like Edwardm said its good advice. The only thing I would add is animals are lazy. they wont take the high road. If its tough for you its tough for them so they will take the easy way . Usually i pack a small pack and fill up my camelback and go. before you go to the area try to scout it out. Look for big pools of water and see if you find tracks. Look for marks on trees and rutting for roots. if its really hot early morning or early evening is the best. If its hot you basically have to walk up to the pig and kick it in the head to get it to move. They do come out when its hot but its not as common. if you can find some BLM land near a farmland that would be a good bet.
Rob

anotherone
04-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Why carry even more weight (revolver + ammo)? Just carry a few extra slugs for your shotgun or some extra rifle ammo. I use both my shotgun and a .308 semi-auto rifle to get pigs... if you can't nail a pig with 5 shots and a semi-auto rifle you're doing something wrong.

I've never encountered aggressive pigs... although I certainly can't speak for private land where there is less hunter pressure. On the public land I hunt the pigs are very aware that humans mean guns and that means death. Pigs can quickly become nocturnal and move around alot on public land, hunting them on public land is a b**ch.