PDA

View Full Version : Gonna build a featureless AR

Dave07997S
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
I have a pre ban AR15A2 that isn't registered here in Cali. It currently is with family in Az. I want to bring the upper here and mate it to a lower that is OL to make a featureless rifle. The upper is a early Colt AR15A2 with A1 rear sights with 20" 1/7 barrel USGI profile. I currently have a DTA Milbrake by Fabian Bros. on this barrel. From my understanding it is a brake/compensator not a flash hider. It even says muzzle brake on it, do you think this is safe for a featureless build? This upper also has the large front take down pin which has screws securing them together.

Also, I want to purchase a lower and have it re anodized to the XM gray or preban gray that the upper is. Anyone in Cali can do this and do they have to have a FFL?
Thanks for the help guys.

Dave

Dave07997S
04-17-2012, 2:59 PM
No one??

Chaos47
04-17-2012, 3:14 PM
Mating it with an OLL does not automatically make it a featureless.

Sound like you have a fixed A2 stock so that's good but you will also have to deal with not having a pistol grip by having a hammerhead grip or a monster man or a solar tactical grip wrap.

Penal Code 12276.1.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

So According to Penal Code 12276.1. (a)
A Featureless Rifle Can Not Have Any of the Following:
Pistol Grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

Check out this link for more help on featureless builds:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14Sc8MNP9AO6JgHxcnqm5oR45LDLIhpqeBHsCN8-K4XU&pli=1

From google it seems the DTA Milbrake is good to go as long as it is not the combo flash hider version

http://i45.tinypic.com/2i75l6q.jpg
First 3 are flash hiders 4th is a brake

On the refinishing as I understand it since the lower is the registered part anyone doing refinishing on it would have to be a FFL

jbush
04-17-2012, 7:03 PM
Does removing the anodizing and reanodizing remove or effect the serial number or rollmark??? Why would the refinisher have to have an FFL???

Dave07997S
04-17-2012, 7:03 PM
Thanks for the response. I have the the last one on the right, so that is good to go. I plan on using a solar tactical grip wrap with a fixed A2 stock. That was my understanding is that anyone who is in possession of the lower receiver other than the owner must be an FFL.

Dave

Chaos47
04-17-2012, 7:28 PM
Does removing the anodizing and reanodizing remove or effect the serial number or rollmark??? Why would the refinisher have to have an FFL???

Thanks for the response. I have the the last one on the right, so that is good to go. I plan on using a solar tactical grip wrap with a fixed A2 stock. That was my understanding is that anyone who is in possession of the lower receiver other than the owner must be an FFL.

Dave

No problem. Sounds like you are good to go as planned!

Yes that is my understanding as well.

Dave07997S
04-17-2012, 7:42 PM
No problem. Sounds like you are good to go as planned!

Yes that is my understanding as well.

Thanks...

mrBTW
04-18-2012, 7:42 AM
From what I have read, if you get your lower painted/anodized/whatever they dont have to be an FFL as long as you stay with it. So no FFL and you need to stick around the shop till its all done. With an FFL you can just drop it off and pick up when ready. But as always, you should probably double check that as I may have been misinformed.

Fate
04-18-2012, 8:12 AM
Instead of getting a standard OLL and then refinishing it, you might want to look at the nodakspud lowers. They're made in XM grey. I have one on my M16A1 clone and like it a lot.

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

Dave07997S
04-18-2012, 8:41 AM
Instead of getting a standard OLL and then refinishing it, you might want to look at the nodakspud lowers. They're made in XM grey. I have one on my M16A1 clone and like it a lot.

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

I checked them out and they haven't been able to fulfill orders back from Nov./Dec. 2011.

Dave