PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory "My first AR" thread.....

ptgarcia
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Picked up my stripped Palmetto Arms lower yesterday and built it on my desk here at the office. :D I went with a bare-bones carbine-length rifle and tried to spend less than $750. I ended up spending $830, not too bad, but I'm very happy with the result.

- Palmetto State Arms stripped lower
- Rock River Arms standard LPK
- RaddLock
- Del-Ton M4 stock kit
- Stag Arms Model 2H upper
- MagPul MOE hand guard

I'm still waiting for that good deal on the grip and better stock to finish off the foliage green furniture. Now I need to get out and shoot the thing!

Crappy pic below (I really need to use a real camera!).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145752&d=1334690019

sharxbyte
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Congrats! Welcome to black rifle disease! Enjoy your stay :) waiting for my upper in the mail...

Casual_Shooter
04-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the addiction. :)

frankDmole
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Nice start, they never stop, I keep finding new accessories that I have to have..

Dreaded Claymore
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Nice. I, also, recently bought one. I ordered a 20" upper with an FN machine gun barrel from Palmetto State Armory, because their prices are incredible. I've got all Magpul olive green furniture on mine. I can't wait until it gets here. :) Both of us will surely have lots of fun.

fighterpilot562
04-17-2012, 1:18 PM
Nice, congrats!

jbush
04-17-2012, 7:00 PM
Nice. My son likes the foliage green also, but we were having a difficult time finding a stock, we ended up with black. Have fun and enjoy.

Bigtwin
04-17-2012, 7:35 PM
Even better than the rifle, is that you assembled it on your desk at work! :thumbsup:

roushstage2
04-17-2012, 7:40 PM
Amazon and the sellers on there have good prices on Magpul stuff every now and then. Plus, you can support CGF by shopping through this link: http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=calgunfounda-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Nice rifle, and great choice on the color ;)

kurby09
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
very nice looking build. im looking into building my second ar from the ground up and was looking into the palm lower. how do you like it?

ptgarcia
04-18-2012, 1:19 PM
Nice. My son likes the foliage green also, but we were having a difficult time finding a stock, we ended up with black. Have fun and enjoy.

Yeah, findng places with foliage green furniture has been a chore. That hand guard was bought new off a Calgunner, and I just bought a foliage green MIAD grip off another Calgunner just this morning. But it has taken over a month to get just those two pieces.

Even better than the rifle, is that you assembled it on your desk at work! :thumbsup:

It took over a month to get my lower and I just couldn't wait any longer to get it together!

Amazon and the sellers on there have good prices on Magpul stuff every now and then. Plus, you can support CGF by shopping through this link: http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=calgunfounda-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Nice rifle, and great choice on the color ;)

Thank you for the info. I'll surely take a look at the link.

very nice looking build. im looking into building my second ar from the ground up and was looking into the palm lower. how do you like it?

I'm very pleased with it. The machining is very good; there are no burrs, nicks or other marks anywhere. Holes for springs and detents were clear of any debris and the proper depth for reliable operation. The finish is even and appears to be sufficiently thick. The RRA lower parts kit dropped right in without a hitch and the fit to my Stag upper is nice and tight with no gaps or movement. I have nothing to complain about, not even the price. I paid $79 at Turners and would certainly do it again.

exp0zure
04-18-2012, 1:23 PM
Congrats! Now comes all the fun accessories and the itch to assemble another one!

MrExel17
04-18-2012, 1:52 PM
Congrats! And Welcome aboard!