PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson M&P 15?

Nismogismos
04-17-2012, 8:19 AM
I'm looking at buying the S&W 15 but am new to ARs. I know how they operate but don't know much about accessories and what not. Its for sale at my local gun shop for $649. I figured for that price I can't pass it up for a plinking range AR. I've never owned an AR so I figured I'd ask around, is this a good AR? Is there another manufacturer that is a better deal?

odslim
04-17-2012, 8:39 AM
Which M&P is it, is the OR, sport ? But regardless you cant beat M&P and its prices, very reputable, reliable. Let me save you from searching on here, there is nothing but great reviews on that AR. Its pratically viewed as a outstanding first AR, but Iv seen those MP's "look" like a top shelf AR with the rest of the top dollar ones, but will it shoot and be as accurate is a different story. But thats the thing with AR's, there building platform is off the chain, upgrades galore, mix and match whatever. For manufactures, theres ALWAYS going to be ones better than the other type deal, but pricing compared to the complete M&P is hard to beat. I look at it this way, If your not spending the $650-800, your defintely gonna be in the $1k. Others will tell you you can build from the ground up for a lot less with quality parts, and its true, but now a days your lucky to find parts that are in stock, and if you impatient like me Id opt'ed out for a complete off the shelf especially as a first AR.

Nismogismos
04-17-2012, 8:43 AM
Its the sport model and I know it doesn't have a dust cover (don't care) and it doesn't have a forward assist (also don't care). I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into and I wanted to know if because it's so inexpensive (I won't use the word cheap) if your sacrificing reliability or build quality. Either way I think this would be a great entry level AR

Kodemonkey
04-17-2012, 8:57 AM
Either way I think this would be a great entry level AR

You are going to get that consensus here pretty much. I have an M&P 15 OR and it's been a great rifle. It hasn't jammed on me yet. As a value rifle, It's hard to beat. It's been a popular seller and there are a ton of them out there. One would think if there were any major problems with them it would have been discovered by now.

You really can't go wrong with the M&P 15 sport.

Lifeon2whls
04-17-2012, 9:42 AM
I bought one for the same price and I would do it again in a heart beat. The rifle is solid, accurate with a decent trigger. I dropped the CMMG .22 conversion in it and I can run down to the indoor range right down the street and blow through a few hundred rounds whenever I feel the need and its also accurate with the .22.

I've been in the sport now for about 20 yrs but just getting back into it after some time off and definitely happy I picked this gun up. I've seen others that retail in the $1000 range and I really don't see where the extra money went. When I get another AR I may opt for a Sig556 or something similar and go more the "sniper" route but this is perfect for going to the range, plinking, HD, and just fun!

jbush
04-17-2012, 9:57 AM
Really hard to find anyone on this or other forums who is not happy with their Sport, go for it. As stated above, they review very well for the money.

ZombieTactics
04-17-2012, 10:19 AM
The current Sport model with Melonite treatment and 5R rfiling profile is really an outstanding value for the money. I bought mine just as a beater, but I find myself asking "why do I need anything more than this?" quite often.

jcjt
04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Seems to be a great rifle. Only question is, besides op's local gun shop, where can I get it in stock...

Kodemonkey
04-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Seems to be a great rifle. Only question is, besides op's local gun shop, where can I get it in stock...

Where do you live? I see them often at Oaktree in Los Angeles.

zealot9802
04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Finding it in stock is difficult and the ones that do bump up the price due to the high demand.

Kelster1574
04-17-2012, 3:46 PM
I own a M&P 15 Sport and a DPMS Oracle. Both are solid rifles at a good price. I use them for shooting.........not saving the world (Thank You to those that do). Is there better.....I know there are more expensive, but for what I use them for I am not sure if there better.

p2rider426
04-17-2012, 5:55 PM
My M&P Sport is a fantastic rifle. Shot another 200 rounds through it this last weekend, still no FTFs or FTEs to date running about 2000 rounds of 10 different brands/types of ammo through it. I still haven't mounted any type of optic on it to really check accuracy but I love the open sights and really enjoy training with them.

Moonshine
04-17-2012, 6:16 PM
The M&P 15 rifle is the Sig P2022 of the rifle forum heh :)!

KandyRedCoi
04-17-2012, 6:28 PM
I own a M&P 15 Sport and a DPMS Oracle. Both are solid rifles at a good price. I use them for shooting.........not saving the world (Thank You to those that do). Is there better.....I know there are more expensive, but for what I use them for I am not sure if there better.

the Oracle is on Turners Wednesday sale for $630

since u own both, what are the major differences...im also in the market for an entry Ar very very soon :)

thanks

Moonshine
04-17-2012, 6:31 PM
Sorry to post twice so closely but the only way you're going to get something as nice as the M&P 15 for that price is to build a PSA with a stripped lower from a kit as far as I can tell.

InkHammer
04-17-2012, 6:56 PM
Yep, the M and P 15 sport is a fantastic rifle at a great price! I bought mine a few months ago and have taken it out 3 times now, 1200 rounds thru, no issues whatsoever. Fit and finish is superb, gas key staked properly, castle nut staked, LMT carpenter steel bolt carrier group, mil spec buffer and tube, melonite barrel(look it up, more accurate than chrome lined and as corrosion and wear resistant), I could go on and on... Smith and Wesson makes pretty much everything in house, which is one reason they can pass the savings on to us. A lifetime warranty is nice too! I have added a quad rail, Aimpoint comp m2, magpul MOE grip, magpul STR stock. KAC vert grip and sure fire flash light....oh **** and a Troy medieval muzzle brake. Phew! ****in love the thing. Better than my old CMMG that has forward assist and DC. You can rest assured you will get BRD , so the initial savings will certainly be needed as you compile upgrades. Good luck sir !

Kelster1574
04-17-2012, 7:23 PM
the Oracle is on Turners Wednesday sale for $630

since u own both, what are the major differences...im also in the market for an entry Ar very very soon :)

thanks

Oracle has a Dust Cover and Forward Assist but no front sight like the Sport has. Honestly I don't have a favorite, they are both fun to shoot, reliable, and seem like they are way more accurate than I am....if that makes sense

KandyRedCoi
04-17-2012, 7:26 PM
thanks

polo.45
04-17-2012, 7:37 PM

Bravo!!!!! You just made the point!!!! Have fun, scratch it, do what ever!!not saving the world...

jcslone
04-18-2012, 12:24 AM
I had the OR model and ran about 5000 rounds through it before I sold it *sniff :-( * I got mine for $760 shipped and it was a steal lol. By far the best bang for the buck IMO. When I start my build again I'm either going to base it off of the M&P15 OR or the DPMS Oracle...both are outstanding rifles and a great place to start off your BRD with ;)

Zartan
04-18-2012, 4:35 AM
Get it, you will love it. Check my siggy

the86d
04-18-2012, 4:41 AM
Shot a co-worker's recently, and it was a nice light, comfortable rifle for the the price.

I think the lady wants one, but I should get her a ring 1st (after I pay down all these credit cards from her SR9, my reloading press, and all the accessory purchases). :)

Mail Clerk
04-18-2012, 6:41 AM
In it's basic form all you need is a red dot scope and a nice sling.

Mail Clerk