PDA

View Full Version : AA Batteries..Costco vs Duracell or does it even matter..

gunafficionado
04-17-2012, 7:53 AM
Is there any big difference between Duracell Copper Top batteries and other "store brand" batteries?

I'm trying to stretch the dollar.

Calplinker
04-17-2012, 7:58 AM
I highly doubt there is any significant difference between Costco's AA's and the name brands. One thing I really like about Costco is how their buyers insist on high quality from suppliers. If you want to sell to Costco, you have to earn it.

We buy AA's and AAA's two flat packs at a time for our kids' toys, gadgets, etc. They work perfectly fine and we've never noticed a difference between them and others, except that Costco's cost a heck of a lot less. ;)

Fatstackz
04-17-2012, 8:04 AM
I invested in a few packs of the Sony Enloops from costco. I use them in all my flashlights and camera flash units and they have been a big money saver for me. They are rechargables.

problemchild
04-17-2012, 8:08 AM
I invested in a few packs of the Sony Enloops from costco. I use them in all my flashlights and camera flash units and they have been a big money saver for me. They are rechargables.

^^^^^X2

sargenv
04-17-2012, 8:17 AM
I've had people tell me there is a difference using a handheld GPS device of a few hours per 2 batteries.. but if it's 18 hours use as opposed to 14 hours with the costco batteries, then that justifies bringing along spare costco batteries that cost less over the long run than buying the premium ones.. If they were the same cost and had less performance then that would be an issue, but the costco batteries are about half the cost of the premiums...

paul0660
04-17-2012, 8:18 AM
Go rechargeable.

In the old days (the 90's) the word from battery suppliers was that off brands had less shelf life and were more prone to leakage. No idea what is true.

OldShooter32
04-17-2012, 8:21 AM
Kirkland (Costco) brand is rated as high as the "name brands" -- I've used them for years and they work great.

busta00
04-17-2012, 9:25 AM
Battery life on the costco brand is very good quality. They do not last as long as a duracell or energizer. Also, when the costco brand hits about 20 percent power, they do not give full amperage to power your product if its a item that requires high amps to start up, such as a solenoid. Have tried all types of batteries in hands free faucets. The lithium batteries last the longest in my experience.

xrMike
04-17-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm a newly-converted Eneloop guy now too. They last a lot longer in my flashlights than the Radio Shack NiMHs I was using previously.

0351USMC
04-17-2012, 10:22 AM

sanyo eneloop

Lifeon2whls
04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
I've been using the Kirkland batteries for years and do not see any difference between those and the name brands which I have used side by side. The only difference is when you by the "pro" or lithium batteries which cost a lot more and are at different level than the Kirkland's...but when comparing apples to apples get the Kirkland.

slo5oh
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
+1 for sanyo eneloops. I refuse to give to the kids because they usually loose them, but for all my normal AA and AAA purposes, it's eneloop all the way.

jyo
04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
When Costco first started selling batteries under their store brand---They were SHIIT!! Made in China---wouldn't even light up my Nikons. I guess they learned their lession because they are not now made in China and are MUCH improved---don't know if they are quite as good as "National" brands. I buy Sony or Panasonic AA and AAA batteries from 99 Cent stores---4 for 99 cents---they work well and are cheap---made in Mexico, Japan, Belgium etc.---make SURE you get "Alkaline" batteries and NOT "Super Heavy Duty" as these are crap.

GillaFunk
04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Sanyo Enloops from amazon. I haven't bought batteries in years

These rechargables are THE BEST. FLAT OUT.

jsragman
04-17-2012, 3:15 PM
Eneloops rule! For regular AAs I spend the extra money for Energizer Lithium. 8X the energy, incredible temp range and an 15yr shelf life. The only way to go!

gemoose23
04-17-2012, 3:26 PM
+1 enloops for anything you actively use, flashlights, baby toys, camera flashes, kid monitors.

I use kirkland alkalines in b-o-b flashlights

SDM44
04-17-2012, 3:39 PM
The only batteries I buy these days are Eneloops and Li-Ion cells.

I still have a bunch of new Duracell batteries and get those all the time, but I get them free from my work :).

Those alkalines work good in the wall clocks and in spare flashlights that I have stored away for months at a time. I also have enough to spare/barter with if there's ever a SHTF economic collapse where batteries become a currency item.

ERdept
04-17-2012, 4:17 PM
Go rechargeable.

In the old days (the 90's) the word from battery suppliers was that off brands had less shelf life and were more prone to leakage. No idea what is true.

THIS!

Mezcalfud
04-17-2012, 4:50 PM
I worked at costco in the mid 90's and the kirkland batteries were made by duracell per mngmnt. Fact or fiction...?

Taidaisher
04-17-2012, 5:20 PM
for those of you using the rechargeable batteries, do you keep spares on hand charged and ready to go? Is it a good idea to keep them charged and waiting to be used?

welchy
04-17-2012, 6:30 PM
Years ago Consumer Reports or someone similar did a comparison of alkaline batteries and determined that they were all comparable.

mindwip
04-17-2012, 6:35 PM
Enloops rule. So much cheaper over the long run bought another 10 aa pack.

77bawls
04-17-2012, 7:03 PM
Typically I just buy the 100 pack from frys for $18 or $20. :shrug:

How much are they from Costco?

MudCamper
04-17-2012, 7:41 PM
No need to guess or render opinion. Somebody at CPF did a study on this. The Alkaline Battery Shootout (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?64660-Alkaline-Battery-Shoot-Out&highlight=alkaline).

mindwip
04-17-2012, 7:46 PM
I Love CPF, thanks for the link.

Toyman321
04-17-2012, 8:29 PM

I LOVE them, with having a kid I'm saving a TON of cash on batteries. They also cycle my camera flash faster than alkalines.

SDM44
04-17-2012, 9:45 PM
for those of you using the rechargeable batteries, do you keep spares on hand charged and ready to go?

Yes and No.

Yes, I keep some spare alkaline AA batteries in my EDC carry bag since the 2 lights I have in there use AA batteries. However, they're currently setup to run 14500 3v batteries so that's what I have in there now.

No, since I have the GoalZero Nomad & Goal10 in my BOB, and that will allow me to recharge my 14500's or my Eneloop AA's that I have.

ExtremeX
04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Eneloops are top notch, if you do some reading on them, very impressive NiMH cell.

brassburnz
04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Consumer Reports did a writeup about AA batteries a couple of years ago. They found the Kirkland brand from Costco as a "best buy." They ran the batteries in a digital camera and took flash pictures until the AA's wouldn't cycle the camera. I think the worse buy was AA batteries from CVS Pharmacy.

POLICESTATE
04-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Kirkland doesn't really make anything, they just use an OEM and rebrand it. It depends on the item, I don't know about their batteries, but their beer is not brewed by Kirkland, it's brewed by Hoppen und Malz Brewing Company in San Jose and then labeled as "Kirkland"

It's possible Kirkland is just getting their batteries from Energizer or Ray-o-Vac or even Duracell for that matter.

I have some, going to see what it says on the package. Hmmm, imported and distributed by Kirkland. Internet searches turned up nothing except for their car batteries being made by Johnson Control.

orangeusa
04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
The writeup was about alkaline batteries - and YES - they are all the same.

Rechargable AA's are NiMh - which are all about the same, but far from ideal. They don't keep their charge... Someday Li-Ion will be cost competitive at the AA level. Not yet.

mindwip
04-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Sanyo Eneloops still have 75% charge after 3 years. Thats not bad at all.

kb58
04-18-2012, 5:58 AM
... One thing I really like about Costco is how their buyers insist on high quality from suppliers...
Maybe now but in the past I found that they only carried mid-range (quality) products. They didn't have high quality stuff (in the context of name-brand cameras, stereos, etc.) It was always frustrating to never see Consumer Report's top rated products in Costco. Back to the batteries, the easy thing would be to test them... try out each in an LED flashlight and see how long they last. That way, irrespective of where they're made, you have a good answer.

Mr. Beretta
04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Kirkland (Costco) brand is rated as high as the "name brands" -- I've used them for years and they work great.

+ 1................

tradecraft
04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Don't forget to check out Amazon-branded batteries. I've been using them for a while now without complaints.

voodoo
04-18-2012, 8:33 PM
Do any of the Eneloop users have recommendations on a good solar battery charger? I have a Goal Zero Guide 10 kit with AA battery charger, but was wondering what other options may be out there.

mindwip
04-18-2012, 8:37 PM
What type of solar charger are you talking about. I have a 20 watt panel hooked up to an 80 amp deep cycle battery and an 800watt converter. It will charge battery's with out issue, car battery's too.

ExtremeX
04-18-2012, 9:01 PM
+1 on the solar + deep cycle battery + inverter combo.

You can scale batterys to add run time, and get different inverters depending on load. Makes for a fun DIY project.

q3131a
04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Costco AA batteries are 40/11.99 and Duracell are 30/10.99 at Costco.