PDA

View Full Version : AR Questions Answered..A MUST READ for All AR Newbies and oldies

Ding126
04-17-2012, 8:38 AM
http://www.702shooter.com/community-awareness/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-purchasing-building/

AeroEngi
04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Very good read! Thanks for sharing man. This should be a sticky so all the new guys can read it before creating threads like "Should I build or buy" or "What AR parts to get".

MrExel17
04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Thats cool , thanks for sharing the article defiantly a good read + 1 for Calgun Member "DieselPower" :thumbsup:

702Shooter
04-17-2012, 2:42 PM
Although I appreciate the links to this article that are being shared on multiple forums today, I also feel the need to give credit where credit is due.

I originally found the information here on Calguns and contacted Agent Tikki to see about publishing it on 702shooter as well.

Agent Tikki posted it all in a thread in this very sub-forum just 2 weeks ago.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=555451

Either way, it's full of good info and it certainly won't hurt to spread it around more.

Cheers

Ding126
04-17-2012, 7:26 PM
^^^ THIS

Stan08
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I published an AR-15 buyers guide that coincides with most everything this one said, with that I agree the difference between 4150 vs 4140 makes little difference to most civilian shooters but it doesn't hurt either. So here is some banter from a past discussion:

You can dump as many rounds as you like with a FN/FAL, HK, Sig, AUG, or, Kalashnikov until the barrel is glowing white. Try that with a Mil-B-11595E barrel and you run the risk of creating micro-fractures across the barrel that will cause the barrel to EXPLODE the next time the rifle is fired. When 4150CMV is heated to 1100 degrees the molecules separate. The High pressure tested barrel is no longer stable. The next time the trigger is pulled the barrel cannot withstand the pressure and explodes.

Bottom line: don't shoot over two thousand rounds in a sitting to burn out your barrel

#1: I do not sell ARs, parts, barrels etc. I am not affiliated with any shop at this time though I am in negotiation with a shop for T&E of a receiver, hasn't happend yet though. The shop is not mentioned in my buyers guide. You can see on my website that I do not sell any merchandise.

#2: Yes, I am biased. I am biased towards good products that consistently work with the least amount of issues if any. I have not tested every AR product out there nor ever will. I can only recommend what I have personally have tried and tested or is backed by substantial recommendation from the community who have tested said named product.

Fact: The M-16/AR-15 was built as a military weapon. In turn a great number of people who buy an AR-15 do so with the idea that they may use said weapon in the defense of their family and/or property whether inside or outside their homes.

What is this number?

From a national poll on AR15.com com

139 out of 438 people (31.7%) voted that they bought an AR with defense as their primary purpose.

230 out of 438 people (52.5%) voted that defense came second to target shooting and recreation.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/563775_MOVED______of_AR_owners_that_bought_for_def ensive_purposes___.html

This means that still a total of 369 out of 438 (84.2%) still consider defense as one reason to own an AR15.

On Calguns.net the results not too different:

55 out of 251 (21.9%) defense as primary.
144 out of 251 (57.37) defense secondary to recreation
So 199 out of 251 (79.27%) Californians on Calguns.net had defense somewhere in their mind when buying their AR-15s.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8058424#post8058424

No kidding, its a military-derived firearm, there are better rifles for deer hunting or other recreational pursuits.

If your motivations are for defensive purposes then the bottom line you want a quality product for your money.

For your money who do you trust? Here are you options: the mil-spec, unknown people on the internet, the guy at the gunstore or gunshow, and/or the reputation of the brand name you are buying.

*Take everything on the internet with a grain of salt and cross check everything of importance. If a majority says something says something is good it probably is and conversely for the bad.

*Depending on credentials, the guy at the gunstore or gunshow is no smarter than you.

*Brand reputation speaks for itself. A Mercedes Benz is a high quality car and its name and price says so. A Yugo is not a nice car and its name and price say so. No kidding; brand name, quality, reputation and price go hand in hand.

*Mil-Spec: A Glock is a reliable brand and pistol, no doubt about that. There is only one factory in Austria and there is a smaller factory in Smyrna, GA that does make parts. The 1911 when built for the military by a few specific companies using ball ammo is a fine pistol, once the patent ran out hundreds of companies made them to varying tolerances, now 1911 reliability goes from great to poor. So goes the AR15, you have many, many manufacturers of parts across the world including the 2nd and 3rd world nations. The MIL-SPEC gives you at least a base line. You can trust the guy at the gunshow with a no-named rifle and parts but you are all on your own. Caveat emptor.

If someone says that you won't be saving the world and you don't need to chase the mil-spec then in the same vane you don't need to buy a Glock just get a Hi-Point or Raven because why pay for the extra quality? Buy a $50 gun and pocket the rest, right? Save some money... Go ahead, not for me.

As far as the purported claim of barrels bursting at 1100 degrees, I am not a metallurgist, machinist, etc. I am an end user and enthusiast. Like most everyone reading this I only know what I research and unless you are wearing lab coat at one of the manufacturers or laboratories with scientific instruments you are hearing the same second or third hand information from those who do this research.

The below link is a US Army test on barrel failures and their findings show much higher temperatures than 1100 before failure.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA317929&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/Lance1775/barreltest.jpg

From this test above you can see that the barrels failed between 1600 - 1700 degrees F not 1100. This means nothing to most of you as a figure because you wouldn't be able to carry that much ammo unless you are stationary and you wouldn't be able to hold the rifle due to heat anywhere near that amount. I posted this because unknown people on the internet will cite something purporting to be the truth without any evidence. Someone can claim the test posted was BS etc. etc. so who do you end up trusting? The professor at the manufacturer? The gunshow guy? Unknown internet people without any cites or credentials? The mil-spec? The military? Pick who you want but I'll trust something with some tangible evidence and/or reputation versus anyone who purports to know-it-all with no substantive proof.