PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use to clean your 22/45?

stangmar
04-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a universal pistol/rifle cleaner and the rod is too big to fit into my 22/45. I also have a 22 Boresnake, but I can't pull it through the 22/45.

What do you guys use to clean it?

Also, after shooting tons of rounds through it, there seems to be some dirt build up in the handle part of the gun. It sounded gritty/sandy, but I've got rid of most of it, but there are still some specs of dirt/powder residue stuck inside the handle on the metal. How do I clean it better?

Thanks

mnh2obuff
04-17-2012, 5:19 AM
For a quick clean at the range I use either a bore snake (pistol version) or Patch Worm. At home for a better cleaning without stripping, I use the Otis system and picks to get into the tight places in the receiver. For the gritty feeling with the trigger, I've had luck snaking a piece of dental floss through the receiver and trigger. Once or twice a year, I'll bite the bullet and do a full take down and cleaning.

pennys dad
04-17-2012, 6:14 AM
Boresnake or otis kit with breakfree and oil rag

brassburnz
04-17-2012, 8:47 AM
I use a PatchWorm for everything. You can't damage your bore or chamber. You only need to stock one size patch. You can clean right on the shooting bench while the bore is still warm with a minimum supplies. I use a 2 oz. spray bottle of Hoppes and a small bottle of Break-Free. I use between 5-10 patches for every gun.

http://www.20-20.8m.com/patchworm.html

tal3nt
04-17-2012, 6:57 PM
If the boresnake is made for .22LR, it'll fit. It isn't supposed to glide through easily though, use some muscle! Use a toothbrush to get into the magwell area. I usually take the gun down completely when I do a cleaning. you should get familiar with full disassembly.. although it may be a nightmare at first, it becomes rather intuitive after several tries. I wipe down everything using a patch soaked with Hoppe's. Lightly lube contact points before you reassemble. To be honest though mine runs just fine completely dry.

tal3nt
04-17-2012, 6:58 PM
PM me if you ever need assistance taking it apart or putting it back together. After a billion disassemblies I can confidently say that I have mastered it :cool2:

Bigtwin
04-17-2012, 7:43 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a universal pistol/rifle cleaner and the rod is too big to fit into my 22/45.

Thanks

Get a dedicated (quality) .22 cleaning rod! Problem solved!

Asher L
04-17-2012, 7:56 PM
I use a PatchWorm for everything. You can't damage your bore or chamber. You only need to stock one size patch. You can clean right on the shooting bench while the bore is still warm with a minimum supplies. I use a 2 oz. spray bottle of Hoppes and a small bottle of Break-Free. I use between 5-10 patches for every gun.

I also use the PatchWorm. Great little device, and cheap.