PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 795 and DROS 10 day wait question

Catalyst81
04-16-2012, 9:29 PM
I've decided to purchase my first rifle - a Marlin 795. Can you make some scope recommendations? I'll start off using it for plinking. I'm guessing from around 50-75 yards and shooting squirrels.

Also, I have a question regarding the 10 day waiting period. Am I correct in thinking that if I purchase it tomorrow (4/17) that I will be able to pick it up on 4/27 - Friday? Do they count 240 hours? I'm going shooting on Saturday (4/28) and would love to be able to bring it along.

Excaliburr
04-16-2012, 9:41 PM
You are correct on the ten day wait. 10 days from the minute of the dros. Yes, 240 hours. Scope. Depends on how much money??? If you don't have much, then I have had good luck with a simmons 3 to 9. I have seen them on swfa on the sample list for $19.95. If you can afford more, then take advantage of the Nikon deal, $50 rebate and get a Nikon Prostaff 3 to 9. You can also look into Weaver 3 to 9 or just the straight 4 power. At the distance you are talking, my Marlin 60 is dead accurate with my Simmons 22 mag 3 to 9. I paid a little more for it because it was not on that sample list and I bought it from a local dealer. Good luck and safe shootin!

Kelster1574
04-16-2012, 9:58 PM
10 day wait unless you buy it from say Dicks, Big 5, Sports Authority, etc. Then it's 11 days. Listen to Excaliburr as far as scopes. Enjoy your new rifle.....

Catalyst81
04-16-2012, 10:16 PM
10 day wait unless you buy it from say Dicks, Big 5, Sports Authority, etc. Then it's 11 days. Listen to Excaliburr as far as scopes. Enjoy your new rifle.....

Good to hear. Buying from Turners so looks like I'll be alright on the wait. I'm assuming scope glass is like photog lenses where generally you get what you pay for, but the Simmons scope sounds like a good one to start out with. Once I get a little more proficient and want to shoot a little further out, what would I want to look for?

DinoPJR
04-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I own a Marlin 795 and i shoot squirrels often from 50 yards no problem. Try the stock sights and get good at those and then pick up a nice scope. Have fun man these are fun lil .22s!

Excaliburr
04-17-2012, 8:50 AM
True on glass sometimes. It is a bit like photography equipment and optics are pretty important to an accurate shooter. A lot of times you need to look through the glass before you buy and find out what looks good to you. Our eyes are different, so all we can do is make suggestions. Nikon is a leader in photography as they are with rifle scopes, but that doesn't mean you will like the scopes. So IMO the Simmons scope is worth the money, but is it the best, No. But do you want to spend $1,000's on a couple hundred dollar gun? Just sayin, if I were in your shoes, and for what you said your intended purpose was, that is what I think would work for you and it would not break the bank. For me, I would like to have about 100 .22's in different configurations. They are fun to shoot and ammo does not cost too much.

PoorRichRichard
04-17-2012, 9:08 AM
If this is you first rifle, put 3000-4000 rounds through it with the iron sights before you scope it. You'll be a better shooter for it.

Izzy43
04-17-2012, 9:50 AM
When you DROS the rifle they should give you a receipt with the date/time that you can pick up the rifle, no guess work involved. Don't cheap out on the scope, you'll be sorry in the end (ask me how I know).

The current offering from Nikon on their rimfire scopes is a pretty good deal. I purchased the 3-9x40MM BDC version and its a nice clear/bright scope. Replaced a Simmons 22Mag 3-9x32mm AO (decent scope) with the Nikon. Around $99 after rebate. If a 4X will work for you I'd suggest the Nikon 4x32MM also with a $50 rebate. Gotta buy before 28 April.

If you want to get better glass look at the Weaver RV-9 or RV-7 but more $$$. Buy quality once.

Catalyst81
04-17-2012, 2:46 PM
Turns out I came home with a Ruger 10/22 instead - well I will in 10 days. It felt a lot better than the Marlin. How often does Nikon offer this rebate? The scope looks enticing but I'd rather hold off on buying it. But, if the rebate doesn't happen all that often, I may go ahead and get it now.

ejhc11
04-17-2012, 3:11 PM
Yes,, you better get the Nikon rimfire Prostaff scopes - its a really good deal with the $50 rebate and it doesn't happen often. Get at least the Prostaff 3-9x40 w/BDC or EFR.

jbush
04-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Good choice on the 10/22. Its nice that Turners is set up to do the 240 hrs and 1 minute to release the gun.

Excaliburr
04-18-2012, 7:22 AM
Let us know when you are ready for the Ruger 10/22 upgrades. It would be good to shoot that with the iron sights for a bit, but agree with the above poster on the Nikon Rimfire 3x9 if you have the money. Personally I hate rebates and just would rather not have all these games retailers play. Why can't they just have the best price possible all the time? Why should you have to pay $150 now and if you meet all their requirements, in 5-6 weeks they will send you a check back for $50. The check is only good for 90 days. I like instant rebates. This is why I usually end up just buying used. A lot less stress when you come upon a deal or you see a scope that you want on a used gun at a gun shop. Then you make your offer and see what happens. Anyway, most people find the ruger 10/22 has a factory set high trigger pull and do not like the bolt release as compared to the Marlin. So, when you are ready, it is time to make the bolt release automatic and lighten the trigger pull for a more accurate rifle. To me, the Marlin is more accurate out of the box, the Ruger becomes more accurate when you add modifications. Both great guns.

Catalyst81
04-18-2012, 8:14 AM
Let us know when you are ready for the Ruger 10/22 upgrades. It would be good to shoot that with the iron sights for a bit, but agree with the above poster on the Nikon Rimfire 3x9 if you have the money. Personally I hate rebates and just would rather not have all these games retailers play. Why can't they just have the best price possible all the time? Why should you have to pay $150 now and if you meet all their requirements, in 5-6 weeks they will send you a check back for $50. The check is only good for 90 days. I like instant rebates. This is why I usually end up just buying used. A lot less stress when you come upon a deal or you see a scope that you want on a used gun at a gun shop. Then you make your offer and see what happens. Anyway, most people find the ruger 10/22 has a factory set high trigger pull and do not like the bolt release as compared to the Marlin. So, when you are ready, it is time to make the bolt release automatic and lighten the trigger pull for a more accurate rifle. To me, the Marlin is more accurate out of the box, the Ruger becomes more accurate when you add modifications. Both great guns.

I agree. Probably hope that some people won't redeem those rebates. I bought the Nikon scope, but I'm going to take the advice and leave it off for the first couple trips. I won't be getting crazy with the mods, but it looks like there are a couple good ones that will help with accuracy. Besides a new hammer, are there any mods that will significantly improve accuracy?