PDA

View Full Version : Staked A2 gasblock site vs foldables?

Strykeback
04-16-2012, 6:46 PM
Might be an extemely dumb question but I dont have any friends with ARs that dont have foldable sites...
Looking at my first build and first AR and trying to decide whether to go with a BCM midlength upper but it has the front fixed welded site.

Are there pros and cons to going with or without one? I wont be able to afford optics or anythinf more then a red dot any time in the future since i have a wedding and a baby coming up.

Just looking for your opinions. For what its worth I love the iron sites on the AK and SKS.

Also any love for the riflegear or any other lower?

Droppin Deuces
04-16-2012, 6:51 PM
A2 front sight base is all you'll ever need. It does the same job as a folding sight for half the price(or free if it's included). Even when you do put a magnified optic on there you won't be able to see it. In my opinion, there is no need for folding sights unless you plan to have only a 1x/red dot optic on there. And even then the need is debatable.

Chaos47
04-16-2012, 7:01 PM
decide whether to go with a BCM midlength upper but it has the front fixed welded site.

Are there pros and cons to going with or without one?

Also any love for the riflegear or any other lower?

I seriously doubt it is welded to the barrel. Standard attachment is 2 pins (which can be very hard to remove but it is possible to remove and later put on a lowprofile gas block)

Pro
Flexibility
Looks

Con
Your going to need a rail to be able to attach a front sight (unless you get a flip up gas block one)
Might have a shorter sight radius depending on your rail length

Might want to check out Palmetto state armory
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers.html
Depending on what they have in stock at the time they can build you an upper with a lowprofile gas system and a rail instead of an A2 post if you want

Riflegear is good to go! Great people and quality products!

Strykeback
04-16-2012, 7:32 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I definitelu planned to go with a quad rail type but the A2 site is growing on me as I do more research.

Any other advice as far as uppers lowers or even trigger options Im likea sponge.