PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on CCI Standard Velocity

DinoPJR
04-16-2012, 5:15 PM
Hey guys i want your opinion on CCI Standard velocity .22 ammo. I am lookin at stockin up a little bit and just want to see if anyone doesn't like this ammo. I am gonna use it for plinking and shooting squirrels. Thanks Calgunners!

covingtonhouse
04-16-2012, 5:47 PM
It worked great in a Ruger 10/22T that I owned. It shot as well as the Green Tag, with the occaisional flyer spreading a group out to 1in at 50 yds. This was back in the mid 90's however. I have only used it recently in my Savage, and it didn't do as well as others.
Therein lies the rub. .22's are generally picky about ammo even between guns of the same make/model. If you are going to be hunting, a hollow point would generally be the choice. Pick up a few small boxes of what you can get your hands on or order some, and see what works best out of your gun. Buy a lot of that!!

Ogre8472
04-16-2012, 5:55 PM
Covingtonhouse said it best about rifle to rifle. Best thing to do is try it. My savage 64fxp does okay with it but the Selects easy out group the standard velocity stuff.

DVSmith
04-16-2012, 6:03 PM
I like it.

JNunez23
04-16-2012, 6:13 PM
Works well for me, with Federal a close 2nd.

Izzy43
04-16-2012, 6:21 PM
Once again, it's a love/hate relationship with .22 ammo. Most folks swear by it, none of my rifles like it. Best to try some before buying a bunch. My best example is Lapua Center-X ($10/50). One rifle liked it, 4 others did not. You just can't ever tell.

JSolie
04-16-2012, 6:21 PM
I've got a Marlin 60 that loves the stuff and one that has nothing but problems with it. I've had inconsistent results in my Ruger MkII, but it has inconsistent results with other types as well. If you've got some older weapons made before the high velocity stuff was so prevalent, it's a good idea to shoot standard velocity stuff so you don't wind up damaging the gun from too much pressure.

DinoPJR
04-16-2012, 7:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Well I think I will just get a couple hundred rounds and try it out in the rifles. All my rifles are new ( Marlin 795 3 ruger 10/22's and gsg5) Thanks again!