PDA

View Full Version : getting a marlin 60 to not jam

NOTABIKER
04-16-2012, 11:33 AM
i just love the internet, my son in law has a 10 year marlin 60 that jamed almost every shot. i asked him if i could give it a try fixing it before he shipped it off to a gun smith. i found a adj trick in which you take a nickle and you adj a spring and use the nickle as a guage. it was way off. i also did a deep cleaning. took it out and i first started with top shelf ammo. 50 rounds and no jam. then i did about 30 rounds of bulk WALL MART federal and that worked flawlessly also. i feel like a gun smith. ;)

SoCal Bob
04-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Great job! I am amazed at all the DIY info and videos available on almost any subject.

NOTABIKER
04-16-2012, 12:13 PM
the recoil spring and rod were also bent, i doubt it was the problem though. those little cut outs next to the chamber were fouled up pretty good, maybe the ejector rods [2] were being blocked ?. whatever it was it works great now.

JSolie
04-16-2012, 6:23 PM
Yep. The guys over at rimfirecentral.com are wizards with Model 60's. It probably was the ejector wire. I've got one Model 60 that still has problems, but it has the old two-piece feed throat which probably isn't helping out terribly much.

nastyhabts26
04-17-2012, 9:39 AM
Replacing the feed throat may become quite the project.
It was for me on my 41 year old model 99C.
Feeds great now cycles rounds by hand which it wasn't before.
Now I need to really shoot it to see if it works for real.

NOTABIKER
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
yes the info on rimfirecentral. com was a big help. i do not post their though.

jbush
04-18-2012, 12:43 AM
It is pretty amazing the info you can find on the internet. I was able to rework the trigger on my 17 hmr with about 4 bucks in parts and a little time, even got info on safety checking it when I was done. Saved me over 100 bucks and works great. Ya, rimfirecentral.com has tons of info and I've used a few of there sponsors to mod a 10/22, all where great to deal with.