PDA

View Full Version : anyway to determine a fake magpul prs stock?

high_revs
04-15-2012, 11:30 PM
i have the guides on how to identify fake magpul ubr stocks. is there one for the prs? been searching here and on the internet but there doesn't seem to be any way to identify fake prs stocks.

only asking due to possible 2nd hand purchase or from a forum.

TreeHugger
04-16-2012, 6:48 AM
Why not shoot magpul an email, they always answer fairly quickly.

high_revs
04-16-2012, 7:57 AM
it was over the weekend. was hoping to land something if i can confirm but all my searches came up empty. actually it's probably good to call them since the magpul unfair advantage that has the ubr pdf file is broken. :(

i figured someone here knows and not from personal experience. :)

buymenow00
04-16-2012, 8:49 AM
Based on the guides that I have seen, the fakes are full of typos or Chingrish and should be fairly obvious just by reading the trademarks carefully...

high_revs
04-17-2012, 11:39 AM
just got a call back from Magpul. they dont' have any guides like the UBR as they have not come across any fake PRS. (saw lots of post and even here I thought).

only advice they can give is the "feel" of a magpul. :facepalm:

didn't feel i got good support given i have 2 ubrs, a ctr and a prs for my ar15s. but oh well. maybe i'll have to remove the ar15's prs to get a "feel" for that stock. it's not like the ubr where you can see etching vs. paint on the adjustment and some other stuff.

cabinetguy
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
There are two good ways to tell if you have a fake, #1 is buy it on Ebay, #2 is if you think you got too good of a deal for it.

TreeHugger
04-17-2012, 1:51 PM
I bought my UBR on eBay about 1.5 yrs ago for $210, at that time, the price was about $40 cheaper than everyone else, the seller had great feedback, I was leery, but it looked legit, so I ordered it. Prior to ordering, I did read the Magpul PDF regarding fakes. When I got it, I compared every detail with the fake and it was legit. So, just because it's on eBay and the price is cheaper than everyone else, does not necessarily mean it's fake, unless it's WAYYYYYY below the average price, than I would stay away. If you still have concerns, then just pay full price from a reputable dealer and you will sleep better. I wanted to pay less for my Troy BUIS, but to avoid the hassle of getting a fake, I got it from a well known dealer at full price.

702Shooter
04-17-2012, 2:10 PM
Based on the guides that I have seen, the fakes are full of typos or Chingrish and should be fairly obvious just by reading the trademarks carefully...

My buddy picked up a UBR from a gun show for $110.00. Although it didn't come with any packaging, the seller claimed it was brand new and legit.

I'm not familiar with the Magpul docs on how to spot a fake but now that I see people mentioning them, I will look into that.

Getting back to the UBR stock...

My friend asked me to put it on for him. I was pretty skeptical about the stock being authentic so I looked it over very closely and compared it with my own UBR stock. Every marking was identical. However, the material had a different feel to it. The cheek piece on my friends was considerably thinner than mine. Maybe this is one of the tale tell signs listed in the UBR doc?

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-17-2012, 4:34 PM
Poke around on YouTube. There are a few videos out there on this subject.

TreeHugger
04-17-2012, 5:35 PM
I was pretty skeptical about the stock being authentic so I looked it over very closely and compared it with my own UBR stock. Every marking was identical. However, the material had a different feel to it. The cheek piece on my friends was considerably thinner than mine. Maybe this is one of the tale tell signs listed in the UBR doc?

There are probably about 8 to 10 telltale signs, some that I remember clearly

* look at the spacing of the words (Magpul Industries blah blah blah), the fake is either farther apart or closer together, I forgot which.
* The weight between the two are close, but different.
* The screws that goes into the housing, where the buffer tube goes thru, the fake protrudes thru the plastic a bit, the real one are flushed.
* The position numbering on the metal adjustable part of the stock, the fake is printed, while the real one is laser engraved.
* The screws and nuts on the outside, the fake is of slightly different diameters.
* etc.

The Magpul PDF link is not working
http://store.magpul.com/downloads/counterfit_ubr.pdf

$110 sounds super suspicious if it is supposed to be new.

high_revs
04-17-2012, 9:02 PM
yeah.. ubr is easier to spot since there are plenty of information for it. prs.. not as easy with my searches here and on the internet.

TreeHugger
04-18-2012, 6:08 AM
From what I've noticed with all the fake PRS, they all seemed to have at least one or two easy telltale signs. The Magpul pdf of the fake UBR, shows the same one telltale sign of the screw heads.

All screw heads are missing the cast in Magpul name on the fakes. On the right side of the stock, the words "PRS AR-10" are most likely missing on the fakes.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/ifubad/Misc/MagpulPRSGenuine.jpg

high_revs
04-18-2012, 7:22 AM
appreciate your pointers treehugger. i'm compare your pics to my ar15 prs also.

GoBig
04-21-2012, 7:04 AM
On the PRS, not all were built with the screw heads containing the word "Magpul". YFS bolts were used on older PRS stocks and are stamped "YFS". You can see it here http://store.magpul.com/product/ACC001/35 if you zoom in on the 6th picture and here
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4123/4858592598_dd969a428c_o.jpg

and, I've never seen one (except yours) that said "AR-10" on the side. This photo shows a Mega Maten
(308) with a newer PRS and the "AR-10" is not there.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4092/4974789567_aa1d80bf86_o.jpg
BTW, this photographer shoots for Magpul...

From what I've noticed with all the fake PRS, they all seemed to have at least one or two easy telltale signs. The Magpul pdf of the fake UBR, shows the same one telltale sign of the screw heads.

All screw heads are missing the cast in Magpul name on the fakes. On the right side of the stock, the words "PRS AR-10" are most likely missing on the fakes.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp61/ifubad/Misc/MagpulPRSGenuine.jpg

TreeHugger
04-21-2012, 10:30 AM
The words prs ar10 are on the right side only, not the left. I'm 100% sure mine is legit and i'm sure magul will change/add stuff to their current model here and there.

GoBig
04-21-2012, 1:04 PM
The words prs ar10 is on the right side only, not the left. I'm 100% sure mine is legit and i'm sure magul will change/add stuff to their current model here and there.
You are correct...on the newer ones it does have the "PRS AR-10". My newer one has it, but my older one doesn't.

zombiescanlearn
04-21-2012, 4:25 PM
You bought it on eBay and they're shipping it to you from China.

high_revs
04-22-2012, 12:06 AM
thanks for all your help treehugger. i confirm the same markings. i also pulled out my prs on my ar15 and same things match (except for the prs ar10 vs. ar15 stuff wording). same thing for etched/engraved hex allen bolts.