View Full Version : Dismal results, rifle or scope?

04-15-2012, 7:40 PM
I went out today to shoot my april 50 yrd scoped target. Pretty bad results, shots were all over the map. I had to try to rezero the scope every third of forth shot. I'd get it dialed in and it would take off again. I decided to give it up and try next week, I decided to use the last 6 rounds on 100 yrd lane. From my last zero at 50 yards I now had a 6-7 inch drop at 100 yards... WTH? I bought the rigfle used, maybe i got a lemon but I can't find or see a mechanical reason for the bad results. Of course it could be me but I can usualy shoot better then this. If nothing else I am consistant with my misses. Never all over the place.
I dbl checked the the scope mount, the action screw and the rings. everything seemed right

indoor range, no wind good clean light
bench rest with bipod
Savage MKII
Bushnell Dusk and Dawn 3-9X40 set at 9X
50 rounds of wolf match target
50 rounds of RWS target

04-15-2012, 7:47 PM
Try this:
Take the elevation screw for your scope and bring in midway in the adjustments then shoot a group. It the groul is small and round it was the tension spring was not supporting the tube in your scope. If its still like a shot gun your scope is broken in some other way...like the adjustments are stripped or similar type of malfunction.
Chances are if the groups you are shooting now are more oval in shape this action above will help correct it and you just need to shim the scope.

pennys dad
04-16-2012, 7:35 AM
Do yo have any pictures?

Have you ensured that the scope is secure and not wobbling on the base?

Is the scope tapped for rings or dovetail/tip off?

Did you try bringing the scope down to 3x and the target into 25 yards to check zero?

All over to me means you are aiming center of target and the rounds are flying all over with no pattern. Normally I would suggest refine your sight picture by making the scope cross hairs clear and the target fuzzy, also making sure your cheek weld is not changing shot to shot.

04-16-2012, 8:07 AM
Check to make sure that the scope and mounts are secure.

04-16-2012, 8:10 AM
...... From my last zero at 50 yards I now had a 6-7 inch drop at 100 yards... WTH?

For subsonic ammo around 1050 fps, the 6 to 7 inch drop is in the range. I have a ballistics chart for wolf mt, and with a 50 yd zero the drop at 100 yds is 7.5"-normal.

MK II's are very sensitive to torque on the two action screws that hold it into the stock. Also, if you are using the savage synthetic stock, the sensitivity is amplified a lot from my experience with two of them. The plastic stocks just don't hold tension llike a wooden stock will.

04-16-2012, 8:58 AM
Is the bipod secure meaning tight. I see this when it starts to loosing up .

04-16-2012, 1:27 PM
Check scope rings, rail, bipod, ect. Hopefully something minor is just loosening up.

Good luck ;)