PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Standard Magazine Release Button Purchase

bubbaboey
04-15-2012, 7:41 PM
Hello,

Hope someone can offer some advice. I bought a Colt M4 5.56 - CA compliant with bullet button installed. I plan on visiting relatives in WA St. and shooting at ranges up there.

I was wondering if it would be foolish to purchase a standard magazine release button online here and take it up with me. Never ever to be installed in CA, only when out of state.

Could that be misconstrued for something illegal -- like intent to manufacture an AW?? Or am I just being over paranoid?

Thank You.

Cucv
04-15-2012, 7:50 PM
My lower came with one i just used a raddlock and when i go out of state it works as a mag release.

htfan
04-15-2012, 8:02 PM
This may be a good option for you. It's called a AR15 Bullet Button Wrench. Found it on riflegear.com

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/large/489.jpg

Here's a link:http://www.riflegear.com/p-489-ar15-bullet-button-wrench.aspx

It can be installed when out of state and removed when in CA...

Intimid8tor
04-15-2012, 8:05 PM
It's not constructive in nature as all LPK come with the standard mag release. I would say, it is not worth the change for a short visit. I would just use the tip of the bullet to drop the mag. What would be worth it is to get rebuild kits so you have 30 round mags when out of state.

pontiacpratt
04-15-2012, 8:06 PM
No "constructive possession " in regards to AW.

bubbaboey
04-15-2012, 8:06 PM
Mine came with a bullet button installed. But, I'm just wondering if purchasing a standard mag release button --- after the fact --- could be viewed as intent... I'm ordering it online, so I'm concerned about raising any red flags. The BB wrench -- I pretty sure won't work with my pre-installed Colt BB, because it has a flat-head for unscrewing.

You might be right Intimid8tor -- not worth it. I'm going to cancel the order.

I might be blowing this way out of proportion though -- pls tell me otherwise.

thetaxman
04-15-2012, 9:07 PM
Blowing it way of out of proportion. Get a regular mag release. Takes 1 min to install.

Next subject.......

DoubleDown707
04-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Raddlock bullet button can be used as a regular mag release OUT OF STATE if you use the flathead they supply. All it takes is 4 quick turns.

artoaster
04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Ditto on Raddlock. Simple tool turns it into regular mag release mode.

h0use
04-15-2012, 11:22 PM
get a raddlock

DinoPJR
04-15-2012, 11:27 PM
get a mag magnet, just dont use it in cali!

bigdawg86
04-15-2012, 11:29 PM

+1 That's what I have... plain and simple. Cheaper than a Radlock, but requires zero changes to your current CA legal gun when traveling out of state.

fighterpilot562
04-16-2012, 12:04 AM

+2. they are pretty good

skkeeter
04-16-2012, 9:33 AM
Blowing it way of out of proportion. Get a regular mag release. Takes 1 min to install.

Next subject.......

^^^^^^^This. It seriously takes 2 minutes to uninstall and reinstall. Just don't forget to swap it back before returning to Cali.

Uruz003
04-16-2012, 10:41 AM
I vote for a convertible bullet button. They are easy to install and can be changed according to state laws with the use of an allen wrench. That being said, they need an allen wrench to convert which means you may need to have an additional piece of gear with you. However, if you're considering swapping mag releases everytime you cross state lines, this isn't a big deal. One concern I do have about the convertible BB's are that they may have a longer push to disengage the magazine. It's not a huge factor, but is something that some might find aggrivating.

monkeylice
04-16-2012, 11:27 AM
I think to be safe you should have a 10-round magazine welded to the lower, fill the bullet button with epoxy, and then break the AR open to manually load cartridges into the magazine. Just to be safe.

mdimeo
04-16-2012, 12:27 PM

I'll probably get one when I get around to buying a rimfire upper, but I'll hate giving money to those people.

nitroxdiver
04-16-2012, 1:33 PM
Just buy a regular button (and spring as they are different). Changing it takes a matter of minutes. You wont get in trouble for ordering it or having it, just dont have it on in Ca. The Colt uses a mag lock similar to a BB, but instead of the familiar castle type nut that we are use to, it uses a nut with a straight slot screw driver head. It's even easier to remove than a standard BB. A wonder wrench won't work on it. A mag magnet probably would. I'd just get either a magmagnet, or a standard button and spring. No biggy.Even if some parts distributor were to question it, which they won't, you could be doing a featureless or rimfire build for all they know. A standard release in Ca. would be perfectly legit on either of those. Have fun, just remember to re-configure before crossing checkpoint charlie.

PhoS
04-16-2012, 3:47 PM
This may be a good option for you. It's called a AR15 Bullet Button Wrench. Found it on riflegear.com

+1 on the this tool , you stick it in and turn it twice and its a button ezpeze. I think I paid 5 bucks for mine?

There is no risk buying a regular button to use out of state , just don't install it until you're out of state! :oji:

nitroxdiver
04-16-2012, 4:26 PM
[QUOTE=PhoS;8415786]+1 on the this tool , you stick it in and turn it twice and its a button ezpeze. I think I paid 5 bucks for mine?
QUOTE]

As I stated above your post, this will not work on the Colt SP6920CA M4 with the Colt installed mag lock that the OP has. That tool only works on bullet buttons with the castle type nut. The Colt uses a straight slot screwdriver nut that doesn't allow the mag catch shaft to protrude through it. It is a very nice maglock though.

welchy
04-16-2012, 4:36 PM

That is what I did when I went to NV. Worked great.

stix213
04-16-2012, 4:56 PM
Nothing illegal about owning a regular mag release button in CA. I run one on my featureless build legally in CA as it is. Just don't install it on your AR rifle with evil features in CA unless you are running rimfire.

Steelheader
04-16-2012, 5:03 PM
Raddlock! 4 turns counter clockwise and you have a standard mag release. 4 turns CW and you are CA compliant. Just make sure you are in CA compliance mode when you cross the state line.

nitroxdiver
04-16-2012, 7:00 PM
That is what I did when I went to NV. Worked great.

They do work great, just not with the Colt factory equipped BB in the OP ;-)

0351USMC
04-16-2012, 7:21 PM
I stored Standard Mag release button inside pistol grip storage

edwardjames
04-16-2012, 8:03 PM
+1 on the BB Wrench. works great as a mag release when out of state. i got mine for i think $5

but if you can find a proper mag button for around that price. id rather go with that if you don't mind changing it out. its all preference

nitroxdiver
04-16-2012, 8:17 PM
+1 on the BB Wrench. works great as a mag release when out of state. i got mine for i think $5

hahaha ok, now you guys are just messing with me :):):) I still love you all though.

To the OP, do not buy a wonder wrench or BB wrench for your Colt SP6920CA M4 as it will not work with your Colt supplied factory MagLock

Have fun. Oh, and I do agree, if you have a standard BB with the tiny castle type nut, the wonder wrench works great!

bubbaboey
04-16-2012, 8:44 PM
I think to be safe you should have a 10-round magazine welded to the lower, fill the bullet button with epoxy, and then break the AR open to manually load cartridges into the magazine. Just to be safe.

Haha -- that's funny as sh** Monkeylice, but frightening at the same time!

bubbaboey
04-16-2012, 8:48 PM
hahaha ok, now you guys are just messing with me :):):) I still love you all though.

To the OP, do not buy a wonder wrench or BB wrench for your Colt SP6920CA M4 as it will not work with your Colt supplied factory MagLock

Have fun. Oh, and I do agree, if you have a standard BB with the tiny castle type nut, the wonder wrench works great!

Thanks Nitroxdiver! Definitely the MVP on this thread :cool:

Everyone else, thanks too -- some good stuff!