PDA

View Full Version : AR help...

ThE_LoNgShOt
04-15-2012, 5:09 PM
so, I've decided that an AR 15 makes the most sense as my "bug out" rifle, but now I need to know what I should be looking at in my price range. I'd like to find something in the $1200 to $1500 range that will be dependable, and upgradable over time. in that price range, should I buy used, or are there rifles that I could buy new that would be good to go?

fatcircles
04-15-2012, 5:24 PM
You can easily build a good AR for that price range with great parts and that will be very dependable. Do a quick search there are a lot of recent threads and build threads you can look at.

Prc329
04-15-2012, 5:28 PM
http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/spike-s-tactical-complete-rifle-5-56-16-midlength-le-2117.html

That will do the job.

shooperman
04-15-2012, 5:29 PM
You can easily build a good AR for that price range with great parts and that will be very dependable. Do a quick search there are a lot of recent threads and build threads you can look at.

+1 And building one yourself is alot more rewarding than buying one at a shop.

DirtyLaundry
04-15-2012, 5:38 PM
so, I've decided that an AR 15 makes the most sense as my "bug out" rifle, but now I need to know what I should be looking at in my price range. I'd like to find something in the $1200 to $1500 range that will be dependable, and upgradable over time. in that price range, should I buy used, or are there rifles that I could buy new that would be good to go?

You can build a quality reliable AR for less than $800.

If this is going to be your 'SHTF bug out gun' you should seriously consider building it as light as humanly possible. Possibly look into a polymer lower 14.5/14.7 inch lightweight barrel and as little crap hanging off of it as possible. Truth be told you'd probably be better off just starting with something smaller a lighter from the get go as you can easily end up with an 8 pound basic AR with nothing on it.

Good choices are the sub2000 and su-16 for lightweight foldable and easily packable long guns. Also worth considering is something in .22lr or a lightweight magnum caliber level gun. But really what you should focus on is a good handgun, as this is what you'll likely have the room and ability to carry should something ever happen where you'd need to carry a weapon. Carrying an almost 10 pound gun, any reasonable amount of ammo and then expecting to carry all the other gear (read:water) you'd need to realistically bug out is pretty unrealistic over any reasonable distance.

If you're stuck on an AR-15 as a gun to throw in the car when you get out of dodge, I would still keep it compact, light, and simple. Basic furniture, decent sling, lightweight 14.5 or 16" barrel, no crazy optics/doodads/tacticool crap (probably no optics at all, unmagnified compact red dot if anything).

Check out PSA for some of the best deals on good quality AR's you can get right now.

billetmann
04-15-2012, 6:04 PM
Look at the sig 516 mine is awesome- love it- a little over 1300 at rifle gear

digdug74
04-15-2012, 10:45 PM
You've got plenty of money to play with, there. Not sure why there even needs to be a question mark. Plenty of high quality ARs out for that price range:

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1152-daniel-defense-m4v7-midlength-rifle.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1077-noveske-n4-light-recce-16-midlength-moe-rifle.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1417-colt-le6920-moe-carbine-rifle.aspx

And that's only one shop. Of course, they're all out of stock as are many other retailers right now but that's what you get for waiting till the last minute :p

Panchira!
04-16-2012, 1:02 AM
I'd say defenatly build one. It's very rewarding and its seriously not hard at all! I built my light weight ar for around 700-800 parts include:
JD machine lower
Riflegear upper
Daniel defense light weight barrel chf
Yhm lightweight ff
AAC blackout flash hider
Bullet button
Magpul mbuis
Bcm bolt and charging handle

It all came out to 6 pounds with no mag. My other is around 8.4 pounds but has rifle length handguard rail covers afg and a acog, will be ditching the rail covers and afg.