PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA

boomer135
04-15-2012, 2:56 PM
Just got the word that I'm moving to CA... Looks like my full autos and suppressors need to stay behind... What can I do to tote along my rock river LAR-15? Also is there and caliber limitations on firearms.

cayotehunter
04-15-2012, 3:32 PM
install a bullet button and leave behind any mags that hold more than 10 rounds...

pyro3k2
04-15-2012, 3:39 PM
Sorry to hear about you moving here but good to have you here on calguns :). There is the flow chart and the OLL (off list lower) list guide posted above just below the big block of advertisements. They are big help in trying to understand the cluster **** that is the CA firearm laws.

Full Clip
04-15-2012, 3:50 PM
Sorry for your loss...
Regarding caliber limits, no .50 BMGs.

baih777
04-15-2012, 4:00 PM
what length barrel do you have ?

DirtyLaundry
04-15-2012, 4:02 PM
install a bullet button and leave behind any mags that hold more than 10 rounds...

Leave them behind or disassemble them into parts kits and don't reassemble them in state.

GMANtt
04-15-2012, 4:05 PM
Stay away.

Excelsior
04-15-2012, 4:11 PM
Just got the word that I'm moving to CA... Looks like my full autos and suppressors need to stay behind... What can I do to tote along my rock river LAR-15? Also is there and caliber limitations on firearms.

Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativity dissuade you. Depending on where you settle in California, this state can be one of the prettiest places in the world. You might just want to retain those magazines for the future...

jdam777
04-15-2012, 4:12 PM
You should really re-consider the move to California. The State is Broke and Jobs that pay are hard to find. I have been here 8 years and am already looking at moving back out of this state.

Not a good state for your gun collection either !!! LoL...

TreeHugger
04-15-2012, 4:47 PM
Just got the word that I'm moving to CA

Why do such a terrible thing?

fatfreadiescat
04-15-2012, 5:02 PM
Welcome, only the weak can't make it here.

dad
04-15-2012, 5:04 PM
You'll be sorrrryyy!

boomer135
04-15-2012, 6:47 PM
The move is not something i have control, I am active duty military and this will be my last assignment until I retire. It's a RRA LAR-15 with 16" barrel. I am leaving all my hi-cap mags, full autos in storage. I would like to bring some of my shooters with me.

ott1
04-15-2012, 7:11 PM
Stay away.

+2

Sure we have sunny weather, but other than that everything is crappy.

Steelheader
04-15-2012, 7:24 PM
The move is not something i have control, I am active duty military and this will be my last assignment until I retire. It's a RRA LAR-15 with 16" barrel. I am leaving all my hi-cap mags, full autos in storage. I would like to bring some of my shooters with me.

Thank you for your service. Install a Raddlock and you will have the best of both worlds. Just 4 turns counterclockwise and your have a riwfle with a detachable mag. 4 turns clockwise and you have a CA compliant rifle. :)

empty the mag
04-15-2012, 7:33 PM
Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativity dissuade you. Depending on where you settle in California, this state can be one of the prettiest places in the world. You might just want to retain those magazines for the future...

I agree about California and all it's priceless wonders of beauty. There is really no state better or even comes close with multitudes of destinations. The weather is also absolutely beautiful. So I tell everyone not to move here. If you are into anything outdoors we got it all. As a Motorcycle enthusiast we are tops hands down.

Politics , this is the worst state to come to. They are broke and want to disarm you. More benefits for the lazy and illegals then for hard working Americans. Hell they purchased the steel for the bay bridge from China to save a buck and put Americans on food lines.

p7m8jg
04-15-2012, 7:42 PM

Bring everything with you and leave all your Kalifornia illegal stuff on base which is federal land. Ask the provost marshal first before doing this, but see whether they don't care about Kalifornia's lunacy. That way you can fondle it occasionally for the time that you're here and never forget that, one day, you'll be free again in a different state.

:(

Excelsior
04-15-2012, 7:46 PM
Welcome, only the weak can't make it here.

Amen!

Excelsior
04-15-2012, 7:50 PM
+2

Sure we have sunny weather, but other than that everything is crappy.

Bull.

Great weather. Better looking wimmins than anywhere in the world. Gorgeous lands -- from great beaches to the tallest mountain in the lower 49. Great culture. Great food.

A university system (both public and private) second to none in the world. If there weren't so many people who wanted to live here, it would be far more affordable...

TURNKEY13
04-15-2012, 7:52 PM
Welcome, and thanks for serving!! As stated above, check out the flow chart. And if you want additional dry, depressing reading, California Penal Code sections 12020 (19 thru 33, magazines) and sections 12275.5, 12276-12290.

arsilva32
04-15-2012, 7:56 PM

obviously your not a native Californian:7:

Excelsior
04-15-2012, 7:57 PM
It's sorta sad just how miserable and ignorant so many people are on these forums. We had a potluck today at church. One retire couple was talking about how her bother and sister in law are moving to California (from Henderson, NV) because they want to be closer to one other. The local couple was open to moving to NV but after viewing each other's communities they all agreed that the Central Coast of California simply offered a higher quality of life.

Other group then chimed in about selling their winter home in Scottsdale, CA. After moving to California from the East, they simply had no more need for it. It's nicer here in the winter than AZ and AZ is an out-and-out hell in summer.

Excelsior
04-15-2012, 7:58 PM
obviously your not a native Californian:7:

False conclusion. 9th generation Californio here.

ott1
04-16-2012, 9:19 AM
A university system (both public and private) second to none in the world.

LOL!

Dave07997S
04-16-2012, 10:44 AM
You didn't say where in Cali you are moving to. I love California but I hate the government here. The main problem on this site is we are all gun enthusiasts which means we are considered a pariah on society in this state, we are also a minority. Even though a lot of us are LE's, military, former military and just good citizens who want to enjoy firearms.

That being said I really couldn't imagine anywhere else to live...been to a lot of different states. Born in Georgia, early childhood in the Northeast grew up in Arizona. Moved out here after a stint in the US Army and ended up joining a CA ARNG Mech Infantry unit out here...love the state.

Anyway welcome aboard....thanks for your service.

Dave

Dave07997S
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
It's nicer here in the winter than AZ and AZ is an out-and-out hell in summer.

I grew up in Mesa, graduated from Cortez High in Phoenix..I remember a couple of nights and early morning when the temps were in the high 20s low 30s when Im doing my paper route...

Weather is so much nicer here, well in S. Cali anyway. California is a big state..

fighterpilot562
04-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Well that sucks you gotta come here!

boomer135
04-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Moving to Travis AFB... I am actually looking into some gun storage near Reno so I can still take a drive now and then and play with my toys... Suppressors, and my Full Auto.

Any suggestions?

Also is there any limitations on what I can have in my home for ammo... Reloading equipment, primers, powder?

RoundEye
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I recall a thread floating around questioning the legality of a complete (upper/lower) RRA rifle as the RRA Car A4 Flattop, and RRA Standard A-4 Flattop are both on the list.

I think the conclusion was that to be one the "safe" side it would be best to not have an RRA Upper & Lower together in their original configurations. But that could be simply overcome by adding sights, forends, etc...

Dave07997S
04-16-2012, 1:14 PM
Moving to Travis AFB... I am actually looking into some gun storage near Reno so I can still take a drive now and then and play with my toys... Suppressors, and my Full Auto.

Any suggestions?

Also is there any limitations on what I can have in my home for ammo... Reloading equipment, primers, powder?

Flew into Travis AFB when I ETS'd out of the Army. Near San Fransisco and is a nice place. Not Southern Cali..but hey we can't have everything..:D

Steelheader
04-16-2012, 3:35 PM
I recall a thread floating around questioning the legality of a complete (upper/lower) RRA rifle as the RRA Car A4 Flattop, and RRA Standard A-4 Flattop are both on the list.

I think the conclusion was that to be one the "safe" side it would be best to not have an RRA Upper & Lower together in their original configurations. But that could be simply overcome by adding sights, forends, etc...

He has a RRA LAR. LAR is not on the Kasler list and therefore legal in CA. I have an LAR-15 lower with an Operator stock (bought in WY) and a complete RRA bought in LV NV). I am GTG, in Del Norte County at least. :)

RoundEye
04-16-2012, 4:12 PM
He has a RRA LAR. LAR is not on the Kasler list and therefore legal in CA. I have an LAR-15 lower with an Operator stock (bought in WY) and a complete RRA bought in LV NV). I am GTG, in Del Norte County at least. :)

It's a little more complicated than that.

Various matters relating to Rock River Arms rifles and the poor construction of the Kasler list keep rearing their ugly heads.

And some newbie CA FFLs and/or their friendly out-of-state suppliers are getting a bit casual. (I think the original early-on OLL Leadership FFLs 'get it', and are not part of this issue.)

This is a very interesting situation where trivial cosmetic features that are not even related to 'characteristic features' in 12276.1PC could come into consideration.

Let's analyze and fix the situation....

Rock River Arms ("RRA") AR lowers are truly 'off-list' and legal to possess, acquire and to construct
various legal rifle configurations upon.

The Kasler list (11 CCR 5499) of formally-identified, 'banned-by-name' AR/AK 'series' members includes the
following banned RRA rifles, which nevertheless have OLL receivers marked with "Rock River Arms LAR-15"- Rock River Arms, Inc. Car A2
- Rock River Arms, Inc. Car A4 Flattop
- Rock River Arms, Inc. LE Tactical Carbine
- Rock River Arms, Inc. NM A2 - DCM Legal
- Rock River Arms, Inc. Standard A-2
- Rock River Arms, Inc. Standard A-4 FlattopSuch exact rifle configurations are regardable as 'named' assault weapons even though the receiver itself
is an OLL ('off list'). Mere addition of a 'bullet button' may well not be effective at changing its status,
though it could be argued that these specific models refer to rifles with fully-functional magwells & mag
catches ;)

FFLs should be wary of these matters and not ship/accept these specific rifles into CA regardless of BB
installation or one minor change like a MonsterMan grip. It appears there are quite a few current RRA
'generically described' models that differ from the banned items above and which would truly be 'off
list' in the whole (as well as the receiver continuing to be off-list.) In the future, it'd be helpful if
receipts and FFL books were to reflect the exact nature of a rifle (providing it's not one of the above
'listed' items!)

Tons of other homebuilt 'parts guns' built on RRA receivers are also marked the same way ("RRA LAR-15").

There is no issue (other than the usual OLL-vs.-AW concerns) when RRA uppers are used on
a non-RRA lower.

If one of the banned rifles above were questioned by busy LEOs, DAs/crime labs, etc. it's pretty likely
they'd go with markings on magwell sideplate (RRA "LAR-15") - and not necessarily as one of the above.
However, the chance does exist and it's not an infinitessimally small risk.

For safety's sake, one should simply not install one of the RRA upper assemblies on an RRA LAR15 lower
receiver such that the end result would produce an exact duplicate of one of the Kasler-banned entities
listed above.

Given that busy cops/DA/crime labs may have great difficulty in determining RRA uppers from identically-
configured uppers from other mfgrs, it probably makes sense to not mimic the exact configuration one of
the RRA banned rifles with a non-RRA upper assembly that looks really, really similar.

The RRA models banned on the Kasler list have specific features suites. (These may have had minor
variations over time in their catalog/product line, I am not sure: a 2001 RRA, say, CAR A2 may have
some differeces than, say, a 2004 or 2005 CAR A2.) To be absolutely pure, your rifle would need to
be different than all prospective individual expressions by RRA of a given model - otherwise there's
risk of "oops, your configuration is identical to that model back in 2002", etc.

However, use of different stocks, handguards, muzzle devices, sights and grips from different mfgrs with
the end result of visibly different appearing rifle would make such an RRA LAR15 rifle most certainly NOT
one of the banned entities: those models refer to an exact configuration as sold/inventoried by RRA.

(It can also be argued - at least tenuously - that an RRA 'parts gun', even though exactly duplicating a
banned entity, is not the banned item because these RRA model names refer to factory-manufactured,
factory-warranted guns. This would only be an element of a defense, and you shouldn't get here in the
first place anyway!!)

Note that Harrott requires clarity and make/model specificity, and if those names were to apply to multiple
gun models with varying features, those banned entities would become in essence multiple "sub-series".
However, we simply do not need divert ourselves to fight a "son-of-Harrott".

If you find yourself with a LAR15 rifle closely (or even closer!) approximating one of the named Kasler-banned
entities above, immediately separate the upper from the lower. Make various changes to the upper: maybe a
different sight set, change out flash hider vs. brake vs. thread protector, and differing handguards. The fact
the bolt assy, barrel and upper receiver are still the same shouldn't be worrisome, as it appears these items
are shared across multiple non-banned RRA platforms as well. Also, put a different grip and/or buttstock on the
LAR15 lower. Just change out things so overall configuration is visibly different from the banned-by-name rifles.

For a fast solution, just swap an RRA upper with an upper of a different brand with a shooting buddy who
owns a non-RRA lower, and compensate any price difference with, say, some ammo or some steaks ;)

Here is also a link (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=141885&highlight=Rock+River)to the original thread.

Moonshine
04-16-2012, 4:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't he register AWs because he's active duty military? He would only need to go bullet button if he retires.

And oh yeah, please bring TONS of STI pistols and off list pistols to PPT.

Chaos47
04-16-2012, 4:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't he register AWs because he's active duty military? He would only need to go bullet button if he retires.

And oh yeah, please bring TONS of STI pistols and off list pistols to PPT.

Its possible but not easy as I understand it

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#mawp

1. May active duty military personnel apply for a Department of Justice (DOJ) Permit to Possess and/or Transport Assault Weapons?

Yes. Active duty military personnel may apply for a DOJ Permit to Possess and/or Transport Assault Weapons only under the express conditions of Penal Code section 12285 (c). The following documentation and fees must be provided:

Submit your fingerprint impressions before submitting this application. To submit fingerprint impressions, you must take a completed Request for Live Scan Service form (BCII 8016) to a Live Scan station. Refer to ag.ca.gov/fingerprints for Live Scan station location information. Have the Live Scan station submit your fingerprint impressions to both DOJ and FBI. You must pay the Live Scan operator a $73.00 DOJ fingerprinting fee and a $19.00 FBI fingerprinting processing fee, as well as the Live Scan operator's fee (Note: the Live Scan operator fee varies by Live Scan site, and the Bureau of Firearms does not regulate or set this price).
Completed Application (BOF 4082), pdf.
Current copy of applicant's official military identification card.
Official letter signed by the applicant's Base Commander, establishing that a bona fide necessity exists for use of personal assault weapons in sanctioned military activities. The letter must include a current telephone number for the Base Commander's office.
Copy of Permanent Change of Military Station Orders.

2. Does a DOJ Permit to Possess and/or Transport Assault Weapons for active military personnel expire?

Yes. The permit is valid for one year from the date of issuance or the termination of permanent active duty military stationing in the State of California, whichever occurs first. The following documentation for renewal of a DOJ Permit to Possess and/or Transport Assault Weapons must be mailed to DOJ prior to the permit expiration:...

Butthead
04-16-2012, 7:22 PM
A university system (both public and private) second to none in the world. If there weren't so many people who wanted to live here, it would be far more affordable...

LOL!

What other state or even country comes close to having such great schools? Just to name a few, Cal-tech, Harvey mudd, Stanford, USC, UCLA, UCI, UCB, UCSD, USF, etc...

Our gun laws suck but not our education.

Manolito
04-16-2012, 8:25 PM
Welcome aboard.
Fairfield is not a bad area and close to some of the best bird hunting in the world. Deer hunting etc. is fair to good depending on where you draw a tag for.
Fourteen miles to Vallejo where you can catch the ferry and travel to San Francisco a ton of things to do and see. Three hours from Reno if you drive slow and some of the best snow sports area in the world the record snow fall was between you and Reno at 24 feet in 24 hours.

Shooting areas are abundant and a lot of good people to share guns with. If you are going to live on base their gun rules may be your problem not California.

Thank you for your service. I did several things on Travis when it was a SAC base and returned from RVN twice landing at Travis. Many signs on board in those days USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED BEYOND THIS POINT.

Travis Federal Credit Union is a great place to bank. One of the most solvent institutions in the Nation.

Enjoy your twilight cruise and agian Thanks for serving.

Respectfully,
Bill

PS I live about 25 miles south of Susanville if you get up this way drop a note the wife is a good cook and the ranch is a great place to fire off a couple of rounds.

Bill

bloodhawke83
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Sorry for your lose.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bigbob76
04-17-2012, 8:25 AM
Something tells me that unhappy people will be unhappy wherever they go. If they all left CA we would be better off.

Excelsior
04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Something tells me that unhappy people will be unhappy wherever they go. If they all left CA we would be better off.

Amen! They have to have something to blame their misery on. I really wish they would all just go! Of course they all have martyr-making reasons that they can't leave. Still, I wish they would.

Excelsior
04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Welcome aboard.
Fairfield is not a bad area and close to some of the best bird hunting in the world. Deer hunting etc. is fair to good depending on where you draw a tag for.
Fourteen miles to Vallejo where you can catch the ferry and travel to San Francisco a ton of things to do and see. Three hours from Reno if you drive slow and some of the best snow sports area in the world the record snow fall was between you and Reno at 24 feet in 24 hours.

Shooting areas are abundant and a lot of good people to share guns with. If you are going to live on base their gun rules may be your problem not California.

Thank you for your service. I did several things on Travis when it was a SAC base and returned from RVN twice landing at Travis. Many signs on board in those days USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED BEYOND THIS POINT.

Travis Federal Credit Union is a great place to bank. One of the most solvent institutions in the Nation.

Enjoy your twilight cruise and agian Thanks for serving.

Respectfully,
Bill

PS I live about 25 miles south of Susanville if you get up this way drop a note the wife is a good cook and the ranch is a great place to fire off a couple of rounds.

Bill

Awesome. :)

Excelsior
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Flew into Travis AFB when I ETS'd out of the Army. Near San Fransisco and is a nice place. Not Southern Cali..but hey we can't have everything..

That's simply not true. Much of Southern California is gorgeous. San Diego is a wonderful place. Moving north there are place like Oceanside and Temecula before entering into the very nice and uber-conservative Orange County. If solitude is your thing there's the desert with wonderful places like Palm Springs, Mount San Jacinto State Park, Joshua Tree National Park and Death Valley national park.

Los Angeles is a huge city but as big cities go it can be a great place to live. I wouldn't mind a nice beach house in Santa Monica and a condo in Holmby Hills. North of LA County (Ventura County and beyond) is some of the nicest land anywhere in the world.

It's sad that people buy into the "Southern California is bad" stereotype without ever really experiencing the area for themselves.

gunafficionado
04-17-2012, 2:34 PM
Just got the word that I'm moving to CA...

DON'T...LOL...be prepared to loose some gun rights. Otherwise, 10rd clips or less, OLL, evil features, no 50 cal, tracers, AP plus a few more that others can fill you in.

jokat989
04-17-2012, 9:38 PM
if you can handle high cost of living, laws that politicians dont understand(not just gun laws), politicians that are dummer than boxes of rocks, people who drive like *******s, too manny welfare recipiants, and polution around big citys,

then california is right for you