PDA

View Full Version : Is this (modified) Saiga stock legal?

GJJ
04-24-2007, 5:28 AM
Would this stock be legal on the Saiga if a person filled in the open space like many have done on their Cali legal AKs?

http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/2-20-07/SaigaStock2.jpg

You could make it where your thumb would not penetrate the stock and be safe from SB23. 922r seems like it wouldn't apply because of the same reasons.

You could even close up the hole by wrapping it with duct tape...

69Mach1
04-24-2007, 7:16 AM
Would this stock be legal on the Saiga if a person filled in the open space like many have done on their Cali legal AKs?

Should be fine. It does not meet the CAL DOJ definition:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

Stock, Thumbhole- A stock with a hole that allows the thumb of the trigger hand to penetrate into or through the stock while firing.

922r seems like it wouldn't apply because of the same reasons.

Thumbhole stocks are not 922r restricted.

You could even close up the hole by wrapping it with duct tape...

Don't recommend doing that.

This stock is a little harder to fill in because of the rotating cheek piece. I also don't get why this stock costs almost half as much as the entire price of the rifle (7.62x39 carbine).

GJJ
04-24-2007, 7:59 AM
Why wouldn't you recommend using tape? Your thumb couldn't penetrate the stock. The stock only costs $65.

MrTuffPaws
04-24-2007, 9:25 AM
Why wouldn't you recommend using tape? Your thumb couldn't penetrate the stock. The stock only costs $65.

Not permanent enough, but feel free to run with what ever you feel is legal.

MrTuffPaws
04-24-2007, 9:31 AM
As for the legalness of it, I have one on the way. I plan on moding it to fill the hole and remove the top portion of the stock to allow my thumb to grasp it in a pistol grip fashion but keeping the webbing above the trigger line.

Still not really sure what I am going to fill the stock in with. Thinking epoxy putty, but still researching if the stuff I have in mind to see if it will be strong enough.

GJJ
04-24-2007, 9:52 AM
I would be interested in knowing what you will use to fill the gap.

To play devils advocate - is there a permanence requirement to fill a thumbhole stock? I don't see any requirements?

MrTuffPaws
04-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I would be interested in knowing what you will use to fill the gap.

To play devils advocate - is there a permanence requirement to fill a thumbhole stock? I don't see any requirements?

Yep, you're right. There is nothing other than what a definition of what thumb hole stock is. Thumb through or into the stock. Thankfully, there are no regulations on what can be done to a thumb hole stock to make it into a regular stock.

Rule of thumb ;) on stocks. Your thumb cannot go into or through, and the webbing between your thumb and index finger cannot be below the top of the trigger with grasping the stock and firing the gun or it is considered a pistol grip.

So I guess that duct tape would work, but as a CYA option, I would go for something a bit more permanent.

As for my plans for the stock mod, I will make sure to document it and post a thread about it. My wife just got a new digital camera so there will be lots of pretty pics.

adamsreeftank
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I think I could stick my thumb through a couple of layers of duct tape. When it comes to this kind of thing, it's better not to take chances.