PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my POSP scope on my Saiga

hairtumor
04-15-2012, 9:50 AM
I need a little help. I picked a POSP 6x42 D Rifle Scope w/ Independent Focus and 400 Meter Rangefinder, AK Version from Kalinka Optics last year and have not been able to zero it. Took it to Turners yesterday to see if they could zero it for me. They were also unable to zero it. The guy that was helping me had AK experience and commented that he has never seen a POSP scope that was so hard to slide onto the side mount. My AK 47 is a new Saiga, the mount on the scope appears to be correct for the AK platform (not SVD). The machining looks a little rough on the scope side. Has anybody else run into this kind of problem.

zfields
04-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Loosen up the tension screw a little. What issues are you having zeroing it? Is it running out of adjustment or what?

chead
04-15-2012, 10:29 AM
They can be pretty tight, especially with Saigas/Arsenal since the rail is painted. Loosen up the screw as zfields suggested and don't worry about it.

When you are zeroing, keep in mind that it probably WON'T zero in the middle of the glass, and that's normal.

FeuerFrei
04-15-2012, 10:40 AM
trouble mounting to rail?
zeroing scope once mounted?
all answers are in the manual section on their site.
i have and use a fixed 4x on my wasr and have had no problems.

pyro3k2
04-15-2012, 10:59 AM
when the mounting issue is fixed please give a little more info abut how the scope is acting please. The POSP and PSO scopes are actually extremely easy to zero, i'm not saying anything negative about you or your skills, i'm just saying it's probably something very simple thats being overlooked.

hairtumor
04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Loosen up the tension screw a little. What issues are you having zeroing it? Is it running out of adjustment or what?

It's running out of adjustment, the best I can get is low and to the right, the scope slides all the way on the rail, you just have to wiggle to get it to seat to the end. I took it to Turners because I thought I was doing something wrong but they could not get it either. It's a $200 dollar investment that isn't working, very frustrating. It maintains it's position (low and Right) when I take it off and put it back on.

hairtumor
04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
when the mounting issue is fixed please give a little more info abut how the scope is acting please. The POSP and PSO scopes are actually extremely easy to zero, i'm not saying anything negative about you or your skills, i'm just saying it's probably something very simple thats being overlooked.

I hope it's just my skills, I would hate to think my scope or my AK it screwed up.

pyro3k2
04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
It's running out of adjustment, the best I can get is low and to the right, the scope slides all the way on the rail, you just have to wiggle to get it to seat to the end. I took it to Turners because I thought I was doing something wrong but they could not get it either. It's a $200 dollar investment that isn't working, very frustrating. It maintains it's position (low and Right) when I take it off and put it back on.

what distance are you zero'ing at?

hairtumor
04-15-2012, 11:11 AM
what distance are you zero'ing at?

I am just trying to get it on paper at 50 yards.

zfields
04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
This is how I zero my redots on side optic rails.

Use a gun sled / gunsmith rifle stand ( a lot of clubs have these in the shack ) and lock it down in there.

Get it so the irons are on target

slide on the optic, and then zero it to target.

Should get you on paper.

pyro3k2
04-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I am just trying to get it on paper at 50 yards.

I know this is going to sound odd, since you are having problems at 50yards but have you tried 100 yards yet? I've noticed with all of my POSP scopes, that they don't preform well at short ranges. And if they do the adjustments are bottomed out and i'm still holding over to get on target. But once you take them out to longer ranges is when they become amazing.

digdug74
04-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I have that same scope but in the weaver version. I used these instructions when zeroing mine which is mounted on a Vepr .308:

http://www.dragunov.net/docs/pso_scope_zero_manual.pdf

Of course, with the weaver version, the scope sits atop a rail and my rail is pretty much dead nuts centered over the bore axis of the rifle which means the scope is too. With the POSP scopes with the integrated mounts like yours, I think they tend to sit off to the left. There's supposed to be enough adjustment available with the reticle to allow for that but if your rifle inherently shoots right to begin with, I suppose you could run out of adjustment.

How does the rifle shoot with just the irons? Is your font sight post cranked way over to one side or another?

saki302
04-15-2012, 8:08 PM
Try zeroing it at the range for 100 yards.

Keep in mind the thing is offset left, so at closer distances you will ALWAYS hit to the right.

-Dave

digdug74
04-15-2012, 9:20 PM
^^^

Yep, also that.

hairtumor
04-18-2012, 2:29 PM
thanks for all the good info. The site I got it from states it's russian so use a russian fine adjustment tool (rubber malet) and it will work just fine.

Fate
04-18-2012, 3:14 PM
How to fix your out of elevation issue:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?59664-Out-of-elevation-adjustment-on-PSL-scope

Bigtwin
04-18-2012, 5:38 PM
I run the POSP fixed 4x scope on my Saiga 7.62, it required only small adjustments to get to zero at 50yds. It easily adjusts to 100yds, and I remove it after each range trip (to fit in my safe). Never an issue for me.
A friend of mine runs the same POSP as me on a WASR, we had a bit more adjusting to do compaired to my Saiga but got that worked out in short time.

Never known of the problems you are having. BUT....the malet method makes me cringe a bit!

Good luck!