PDA

View Full Version : Auto loading pistol caliber carbine appeal?

AragornElessar86
04-15-2012, 8:50 AM
I get lever guns in revolver calibers, but what's the appeal of say, a Cx4? I wouldn't use it for HD because of its size, and anything longer just seems like I should grab my mini14 or bigger. So, please convince my to buy a Cx4 or PC4 to match my Px4 or P944.

tujungatoes
04-15-2012, 8:57 AM
Fun, controllable, cheap to shoot, good for teaching new shooters,...did I mention FUN?:D

Find a steel pistol gallery and you'll understand.

AragornElessar86
04-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Haha, fair enough. I just can't see it being $1100 worth of fun, which is what my local shop wants for their converted Cx4.

VegasND
04-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I agree; if you're going to spend that much on a rifle you should be shooting something more powerful and versatile than a pistol cartridge. If you want to play with a semi-auto 9, .40 or .45 just get a Hi-Point. They're cheap and they work.
Haha, fair enough. I just can't see it being $1100 worth of fun, which is what my local shop wants for their converted Cx4.

brassburnz
04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Look around for a Marlin Camp Carbine. The 9mm uses the same magazine as a Smith & Wesson 469 compact or Model 59 full size pistol. The .45 acp uses 1911 magazines.

I've got a Camp 9 and a Smith 469 so it's nice to have a carbine and a pistol with the same magazine. The carbine is really fun to shoot.

tujungatoes
04-15-2012, 3:18 PM

$1100! Well there's your problem. CX4...:puke:

Sorry I'm not a big fan of anything beretta.

You can snag a ruger PC, hipoint, marlin camp carbine, or if you've got an AR just pick up a pistol cal upper. Any of those should be much less than $1100.

MrPlink
04-15-2012, 3:20 PM
$1100! Well there's your problem. CX4...:puke:

Sorry I'm not a big fan of anything beretta.

+ 1 million.

at that point just spend a bit more and buy a HK USC.

Arent Colt 9mms arround that price?

NoHeavyHitter
04-15-2012, 3:31 PM
Absolutely! Pretty much any of the popular pistol caliber “sub-gun style” semi-auto carbines are going to be lots of fun to shoot, and for the most part still highly effective as weapons. They are also easier to shoot well and have a higher hit probability than any like-sized SBR. The primary reason for the migration of small-arms from pistol to rifle caliber is the anticipated likelihood of encountering an adversary using body armor.

Bull's_eye
04-15-2012, 3:35 PM
Absolutely! Pretty much any of the popular pistol caliber “sub-gun style” semi-auto carbines are going to be lots of fun to shoot, and for the most part still highly effective as weapons. They are also easier to shoot well and have a higher hit probability than any like-sized SBR. The primary reason for the migration of small-arms from pistol to rifle caliber is the anticipated likelihood of encountering an adversary using body armor.

Why do you think a pistol caliber carbine has a higher hit probability than a SBR?

Capybara
04-15-2012, 3:50 PM
I bought a Cali compliant Vector Uzi for $800.00. Built like a freaking tank, cool looking, fun to shoot, amazing history in the design, tons of accessories and then there are always the maniacs over at www.uzitalk.com to discuss Uzi things with.

Mine has the wooden shoulder stock, the original $3.00 Israeli military cotton strap and magazines are dirt cheap. Sights are decent, it is a beast, it weights close to 9lbs but that also means almost zero recoil. The sixteen inch barrel looks pretty sweet with a fake Title II suppressor on it. It is the ultimate women/new shooter fun gun. I am very happy with it and I can put lots of inexpensive 9mm through (WWB and the Winchester Nato 124gr +P) I would not buy one as my only gun but since I already have a good AR and an AR pistol, why not? I have wanted an Uzi since I was a kid.

Lagduf
04-15-2012, 3:53 PM
It's fun. It's my money.

I'm practically dying for a Glock mag AR lower. I just need to bite the bullet and get one.

Army GI
04-15-2012, 4:00 PM
Ugh not this again.

Pros:
*Ammo commonality with your pistol
*Cost of ammo/reloading
*low recoil/muzzle blast
*"Fun"

Cons
*not as capable as a rifle cartridge
*Overpriced for what they are
-Even high-points carbines (I own one in .45) cost only a little less than AK-variants like Saiga.

AragornElessar86
04-15-2012, 8:13 PM
OK, so it seems like another of those "if you have to ask you just don't get it" things, which I'm totally OK with. I'll have to see if one of my local ranges has something I can try out. Thanks for the input guys!

Harrison_Bergeron
04-15-2012, 9:38 PM
One benefit not mentioned yet is that you can shoot them at pistol caliber only indoor ranges, which are often the most convenient places to shoot.

Dark Mod
04-15-2012, 9:50 PM
I want a hi point carbine so bad, i really dont know whats stopping me, theyre only like $350

Rhatical
04-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Fun to shoot, OK at all indoor ranges, compatible with your caliber handgun ammo in many cases, low felt recoil. Check out the HK USC .45 acp, you'll see how versatile and nice they are to shoot.

Capybara
04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
I think the Hi Point is an ugly beast but kind of a cool ugly and from what I have read and heard, pretty good value for the money. Triggers aren't so hot but other than that, pretty solid.

donw
04-16-2012, 9:39 AM
ruger PC9 and ruger p95 share mags & ammo...big advantage to having mags and ammo to fit both carbine and pistol.

i have that combo as well as the 38/357 lever/revolver combo.

Insofar as the age old controvery of .45 vs 9mm vs .38 vs .357, etc, etc, blah...blah... for hs/sd...THEY ALL WORK...take your pick for your own reasons...geeeeeeeeeee...:chris::(:beatdeadhorse5: