View Full Version : Long Range 6.5-06 ?

04-14-2012, 8:01 PM
I acquired my first long range rifle for a price that I thought was dirt cheap. Since I don't really have much experience with long range rifles, I was hoping someone can tell me what I have here, what it all means, and how much it is worth. I will likely sell it since I hear that the long range shooting gets pretty expensive and I don't reload. The rifle is in great condition and has only had 100 rounds down the barrel. The specs are below:

- Remington 700 action

- Black Star Accumax Barrel 1:8 twist Stainless Steel

- Chambered in 6.5-06

- Leupold VX-IIc 4-12 AO with friction target turrets

- HS Precision stock

I would really appreciate anybody's help here. Let me know if I can answer any questions you have about the rifle to provide an accurate estimate. I don't have any pictures of it yet since the gun is currently in the 10-day waiting period at the FFL.

04-14-2012, 8:08 PM
Your going to start handloading soon....

Edit: The 6.5-06 is a hard sell. It's an obsolete wildcat but still quite a good long range cartridge. Not many will be interested in that particular cartridge.

04-14-2012, 8:16 PM
lol. I will probably just try to re-sell it then.

Am I looking at a $700 setup or a $1,000 setup?

04-14-2012, 10:23 PM
If it's a long heavy barrel, it could be re-chambered in something more popular. I would think 1200-1500 to the right buyer. If it's sporter weight somewhere in the 800 range, maybe.

04-15-2012, 7:49 AM
There is a local gentleman that I see a lot who is always trying to unload a couple 6mm-06s for a reasonable sounding $1500, but the older 30-06 wildcats are not in vogue as they once were so finding a buyer may be tough.

04-15-2012, 8:13 AM
The 6.5-06 is a great round though noadays it mostly appeals to the Hunter rather than the Shooter. I wish your rifle was not in the Remington flavor, otherwise I would be extremely interested. Place it in the for sale section for a while but be prepaired to take a lower price than what you might think it's worth for it is a specialty rifle.

04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
That is the problem - I don't know what to sell it for. I am definately going to sell it, since I don't want to get into reloading. I bought it from an older gentleman along with 11 other guns and just don't want to get into something that is going to cost a lot more money to shoot and more time (don't get me wrong, I would love to keep this thing and get into long range shooting, but I just can't do it right now for a lot of reasons). Anyway, I will put up some pics of it when I get it out of jail and put it up for sale on this site in a couple of weeks.

I got about 300 practice and target reloads that go with the gun as well. I may want to keep the scope, I just don't know.

Thanks for the input guys, and if you know of anyone that is interested in this before it hits the classifieds, let me know. Thanks.

El Gato
04-15-2012, 1:14 PM
Your going to start handloading soon....

Edit: The 6.5-06 is a hard sell. It's an obsolete wildcat but still quite a good long range cartridge. Not many will be interested in that particular cartridge.

Ummm... and wildcat....

obscure? yes...

but it is a factory round from from A square...

and having shot this round when i was a kid...

way better than 7mm mag at long range ... with less kick, and with factory brass available, easy to reload...and again...less thump on the shoulder...and kills stuff like ummm dead...really well....

Nice find... Bravo...enjoy being a leader rather than a follower...enjoy your unique round... and as long as there is 280 rem brass around, new brass is easy to form...so shoot it some, if you don't want to keep it... pm me... I've been interested in finding/building one for years... but was going to use a military 03a3 action...

well found!

04-15-2012, 1:48 PM

Only because 30-06 wildcats are long out of favor. It's still a good performer, just a hard sell, even a 6.5-284 is a hard sell and that's got to be one of the more popular 6.5s.