PDA

View Full Version : Lightest mid length upper?

Glocker619
04-14-2012, 2:09 PM
Hey fellas,

I am looking for a lightweight 14.5" mid length upper for a featureless build. I have never tried to build a light weight rifle, but my AR is too heavy for my wife to shoot on the regular.

What kind of number should I be looking for out of a light weight upper? What is a good overall weight?

I have found several "lightweight" uppers online, but they tend to only list the specs and not weights???

Any suggestion/ tips you can offer.:)

ch3ck5ix
04-14-2012, 3:34 PM
Here's a comparison of different rails with specs, prices and links (not sure if it's been updated recently by the author): https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html
Hope this helps.

G60
04-14-2012, 3:38 PM
Are you firm on a mid length?

G&R has colt complete 6720 uppers for $600 (not in stock ATM though.)

HK Dave
04-14-2012, 3:44 PM
How heavy is your AR that your wife can't hold it? How much ninja gear do you have on it?

My 14.5" AR with optics comes in at about 7 pounds.

04-14-2012, 4:12 PM
My AR15 is:
14.5" Mid Length BCM Upper (Government Barrel)
MOE handguards
Surefire MB556K Muzzle Break
Surefire M600 Scout Light
Daniel Defense A1.5 Rear Sight

My AR weighs in about 5 3/4 lbs. with the light attached.

Most light weight uppers are made with pencil barrels which are really thin.

What do you have attached to your AR that majes it so heavy?

clutchy
04-14-2012, 5:20 PM
Id get something like a Daniel defense pencil barrel and an 11" troy alpha.

I have a really hard time believing the poster above is under 6 lbs...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Intimid8tor
04-14-2012, 6:49 PM
Does it need a rail? I built my wife a rifle using a lightweight bcm upper and magpul forearm. Super light and made me rethink my perceived need for rails.

jbush
04-14-2012, 7:35 PM
The MOE handguard in carbine length is pretty light. My question also, do you have to go mid length? If youre going featureless are you using a pinned muzzle brake?

Glocker619
04-16-2012, 7:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses, but to answer some of the questions. My AR is about 8lbs (no mag). I didn't do an accurate weight, I just stood on out house scale with it and subtracted my weight.

I wanted to see what other were getting out of their light weight builds. 6lbs seems pretty good. I don't need a quad rail, flashlight, grip fOr this build. Its gonna be featureless and might have a red dot eventually.

I saw spikes had a light weight upper that I am looking into. But I have a few questions for u guys as well.

Is a "lightweight upper" just a pencil thin barrel? Or is there more to it than that?

BucDan
04-16-2012, 8:29 AM
It is just a thinner barrel. But yes, use MOE handguards, and you'll have light upper.

IF lighter, get the polymer lowers.

jbush
04-16-2012, 5:07 PM
Not all lightweight uppers are pencil barrels. The PSA lightweight is heavier then a pencil, so you might want to check weight or diameter of the barrel before you order. I believe if you go to ar15barrels.com it should show you the different profiles and sizes.