PDA

View Full Version : First AR Build... Need Input

echo1
04-14-2012, 1:04 PM
I've never been attracted to the AR platform mainly on cost, but I picked up a New Frontier composite lower and am going to give it a go. I see it's alot like building a hipo motor, there's no end to choices. This is what I'm looking to assemble on the lower, 5.56 DPMS flat top upper complete, 16 inch 1:9 twist (non chrome bore). Upper, lower, 10 mags, rear sight, all new $600. What's the deal on all the different twist rates? I plan on 55gr FMJ and hope it matches my Mini for grouping. PAX

Agent Tikki
04-14-2012, 1:18 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=555451

ENJOI

TMcGuff
04-14-2012, 1:22 PM
for that money dont be expecting a nice AR at all good flip up sights will cost you $200 alone

negolien
04-14-2012, 4:29 PM
That's bull TM I got my match grade barreled upper for little over $400 bucks you work for SBR or something? As for sights probably comes with Magpuls but their enough for the job. 10 magazines at 15 bucks a pop though is almost 200 bucks lol... I think 5 is enough really imo lol..

echo1
04-14-2012, 8:47 PM
So let me see if I've got this straight TM. For $700 bucks I can't expect to group as good or better than my 580 series Mini shooting cheap FMJ? Why would the sights effect the barrels POI? All things being equal, is the 1:9 barreled action not capable of consistant grouping??? What twist is most consistant running the same ballistics profile. I'm trying to keep an open approach on why this calibers performance and platform delivery is more advantageous vs SKS specifically. The Mini has lost on cost alone in that comparision. Between the Mini and the AR, the cash out lay will equal five, 2 inch grouping (at 100yrds) SKSs. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to throw some lead with this combo and it's my new love. 10 30rd kits NIB 8 bucks each