View Full Version : Finally got my Mossberg MVP.

04-14-2012, 7:13 AM
Well, after 3-4 months of searching, I got a Mossberg MVP. I really like the design, they're free-floating, take AR-15 magazines, bolt action, fluted barrel, fluted bolt, medium contour 24" bbl, really quality stock for the money, and hopefully it will be a shooter. I put on some weaver steel rings on it, and a cheap BSA 6-18x40 Sweet .223 scope on it with the 3 different drums for bullet weights. Its just going to be a range plinker on the cheap. I have a total of less than $600 into the thing. Looks pretty promising and the fact that it takes AR mags is just a huge bonus. I threw on a Harris 6-9 bipod, lightened the trigger spirng a bit so its around 3lbs on the trigger, and I'll give a solid range report when I get it sighted in.

04-14-2012, 8:41 AM
Nice. Let us know how it shoots, a lot of guys really want a 5.56 bolt gun that can work with their AR magazines.

04-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah, this seems to be the only ticket at this point. So long as it shoots straight, I'm gonna be really happy with it for the price. Eventually I'm going to upgrade optics, but with a baby on the way money was an object.

Chameleon Loco
04-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I was looking to buy the Remington Model 7615 because it takes ar magazines but I would rather have a true bolt action rifle and not a pump action one.

04-14-2012, 2:35 PM
Who had them????????

04-14-2012, 3:54 PM
Got mine from www.budsgunshop.com for $479 and free shipping. I feel like its a wonderful gun for the price tag.

04-14-2012, 4:07 PM
Eventually I'm going to upgrade optics, but with a baby on the way money was an object.

lol, you in for it now mang ;)

05-07-2012, 2:34 PM
All right, well finally I got to get out and really test a whole handful of ammo. I tried from 43gr all the way to 62gr and they varied DRASTICALLY! Mine seemed to like 45-55gr rounds and wouldn't shoot great without going 55 or under. I shot Speer TNT 43gr, Hornady 52gr VMAX, PMC 55gr FMJ, Centurion M193, Federal M193, and Federal 62gr green tip penetrator rounds. Out of all of them, the Hornady out shot all of them by quite a margin. PMC was second surprisingly, and the penetrator as well as the Centurion didn't shot worth a darn. I was shooting roughly 10mph cross wind with a bipod and a rear bag at 100 yards. I put at least 40-60 rounds of each particular round through it so it wasn't a freak incident. Anyway without further adieu, here are the results.

Centurion M193. Usually I can get it to group sub 2" but this gun flat doesn't like it. Probably shot 40 rounds and couldn't get much better than 3"

This was Federal 43gr TNT Green all copper rounds. Not bad, but could be better

This was 55gr PMC FMJ and was consistently shooting them on top of each other. The bottom pic is actually a 5 shot group. See if you can figure out which ones had 2 holes in them....

This one was Federal XM193 and it shot consistently well too. Great ammo for the price. Just a hair more than PMC online and shot even better. Almost as good as the VMAX

05-07-2012, 2:37 PM
Nice shooting... Cant wait to pick mine up on Thursday and get to the range.

05-07-2012, 2:37 PM
This was a 6 round group of Black Hills PSP and it shot really well also. Worth the money if you're shooting something like a Coyote or bigger game that you want to stop. VERY accurate and consistent through this gun.

Last but not least is the Hornady VMAX rounds. This one is just an amazing round in this gun. NOTHING done to the rifle itself except thrown a scope and rings on it. Shoots really well for how cheap the gun is.

I was shoting next to a guy with a $1500 Remington 700 with a spendy scope in .223 that wasn't shooting anywhere near as good as the MVP so I felt pretty good about that. I was getting the best groups of the day out there with the right ammo and people were really impressed by a little $500 gun compared to Senderos, Remington 700's and Savages but this thing out performed them all. Gotta say I'm falling in love with it more and more.