PDA

View Full Version : Corrections officers and CCW...

czp01
04-23-2007, 7:13 PM
Just curious, are corrections officers considered peace officers? And do they possess CCWs?

Fjold
04-23-2007, 7:17 PM
Some corrections officers are sworn LEOs and some are not. Depending upon if you work for a private, city, county or state facility. Some city and some county organizations swear theirs and they get an LEO identification.

Smoothiesd
04-23-2007, 7:20 PM
If you are a CO for California Department of Corrections then YES you are considered a peace officer while on duty. To carry a CCW you have to qualify at a range quartely with whatever weapon you carry. There are no restrictions to what weapon you carry.

CSDGuy
04-23-2007, 7:33 PM
Just curious, are corrections officers considered peace officers? And do they possess CCWs?

Corrections Officers are peace officers under PC 830.5. This doesn't mean they're Police Officers, Deputys, or other Street Cop types. The training is different. Read PC 830.5 and you'll find out if they need CCW's like the rest of us or not... :cool:

Non-CDCR Corrections Officers get their authority under PC 830.55...

Custodial Officers are not peace officers (they are public officers) and do not have the same rights to be armed on duty as do Corrections Officers. (PC 831)

That section of the Penal Code makes for a very interesting read...

czp01
04-23-2007, 7:44 PM
Corrections Officers are peace officers under PC 830.5. This doesn't mean they're Police Officers, Deputys, or other Street Cop types. The training is different. Read PC 830.5 and you'll find out if they need CCW's like the rest of us or not... :cool:

Got it, thanks!

moulton
04-23-2007, 8:25 PM
a guy I go shooting with became a county jail guard and was deputized recently as were all the guards following an ex-inmate recognizing one of the guards and beating him up at the mall. he now legally carries a S&W airweight .38 special

dicast
04-24-2007, 12:34 AM
CO (state) don't need ccw. just quarterly qualify and many do

JGarrison
04-24-2007, 4:31 AM
Corrections officers can use their PO ID to buy non-listed guns too:)

RollingCode3
04-24-2007, 6:31 AM
CDCRs have peace officer status and can carry off duty. The firearm training is part of their academy too. I am not sure about being a Correction Officer for the county though. Does anyone know if being a correction officer at Juvenile Hall give u the power to carry off duty? Does anyone have any information about being a correction officer for the county and if they have the right to carry off duty or not? thanks

desertram800
04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
read up on the HR218, it's VERY broad and includes a lot of people in it. The HR218 being of course the officer's safety act. Basically, it states that if you have a LE department issued ID, you have the powers to apprehend, or enforce laws that you fall under the HR218. I think I remember reading that not all corrections officers are included, they have to have department authorization or something. I'm not sure, it's worded all screwed up and vague, leaving plenty of room for the non-lawyer type to get into lots of trouble!

scootergmc
04-24-2007, 1:02 PM
CDCRs have peace officer status and can carry off duty. The firearm training is part of their academy too. I am not sure about being a Correction Officer for the county though. Does anyone know if being a correction officer at Juvenile Hall give u the power to carry off duty? Does anyone have any information about being a correction officer for the county and if they have the right to carry off duty or not? thanks

It is my understanding JH "counselors" are not sworn.

jnojr
04-24-2007, 3:21 PM
Does anyone know if being a correction officer at Juvenile Hall give u the power to carry off duty? Does anyone have any information about being a correction officer for the county and if they have the right to carry off duty or not? thanks

In San Diego County, juvies are handled by the Probation Department. They are not armed. I have no idea about their status as peace officers or off-duty carry.

The jails are staffed by Duputy Sheriffs. They are sworn LEOs, although do not have a full POST certification. They can carry off-duty, and are covered by HR218... even though, obviously, they don't carry day-to-day, they are issued a sidearm (Glock 22) and carry when transporting prisoners to court, the hospital, etc.

I'm nearly certain OC does things the same way, except I think I recall hearing that they don't have different categories of Duputies... you get hired, you work in the jail until you can promote to the street. In SD, you can be hired as a Patrol Deputy, go through the full Academy, then work the courts for a while. Corrections/Detentions Deputies have a shorter Academy, and can apply for Patrol. If they get selected to move over, they have to go attend the full Academy :(

dicast
04-24-2007, 11:24 PM
it's vary county to county. but state correctional officers (prison guard) are peace officer.

Jedidiah
04-25-2007, 2:17 PM
Here in Stanislaus county the Juvenille Hall officers are considered peace officers while on duty but not while off duty. Many of them have tried to obtain CCWs because of their peace officer status. I believe they have all been denied.

Reason I know this is because my mother was a senior group supervisor and I was curious about this and talked to quite a few of the employees there. I was gonna try to get a job there if it enabled them to CCW.

RollingCode3
04-25-2007, 5:51 PM
Here in Stanislaus county the Juvenille Hall officers are considered peace officers while on duty but not while off duty. Many of them have tried to obtain CCWs because of their peace officer status. I believe they have all been denied.

Reason I know this is because my mother was a senior group supervisor and I was curious about this and talked to quite a few of the employees there. I was gonna try to get a job there if it enabled them to CCW.

That is what i thought. A friend of mine is a juvenile hall officer too. He told me that according to the penal code, they are considered as peace officer while on duty. They have to attend the correctional academy too. It was six weeks long or something like that.