PDA

View Full Version : cz 455 varment or savage mk2 tr

thenotoriousmo
04-14-2012, 6:07 AM
ive come to accept that my dream of building my 40x will never come true any time soon and i have been wanting to get a bolt 22 for way to long now. narrowed it down to pretty much these 2 rifles. i just dont know which one i should get. i've only played with the 452 and that was a while back but it seemed like a tack driver. but everything i've read on multiple forums says the the savage is a performer as well.

if there are any other rifles i should consider feel free to throw them in and confuse me even further. budget is roughly 500ish for just the rifle (so please no annie's as i cant afford that!) but i am looking for something that will have roughly the same feel as my 20" remington 700. any input is greatly appreciated.

NOTABIKER
04-14-2012, 6:58 AM
i have a new savage mark 2 [ FV] . i just love it . i would pick the savage over all the others out their, no matter what the price. i think i will start collecting them. my grandsons like it so much i end up not shooting it as much as i want. i am a target shooter. a tac driver for sure.

Izzy43
04-14-2012, 7:30 AM
I have two Savage rifles, one .22 and one .17HMR and a CZ UltraLux. While the Savage rifles are great, the CZ is more accurate, better fit and finish and built like a centerfire rifle. The CZ has a more traditional look while the Savages have nice laminated stocks and stainless metal.

If I could only keep one it would be the CZ as it is more accurate, not as picky about ammo and better built. The Savage 22 will only shoot well with Wolf Match Target, all other ammo just doesn't produce the expected accuracy.

thenotoriousmo
04-14-2012, 11:47 AM
What kind of groups were you getting using wolf match with the 2 rifles. Thats all i shoot with my 10/22 and what i planned on shooting with this.

Izzy43
04-14-2012, 12:59 PM
What kind of groups were you getting using wolf match with the 2 rifles. Thats all i shoot with my 10/22 and what i planned on shooting with this.

With the savage and a 20X scope I routinely get 3/8"-1/2" five shot groups @ 50 yds. With the CZ I get 1/2" groups with aperture (peep) sights and 1/4" groups with a 20x scope. Of course I have to do my part in all cases.

As you can tell there is not a lot of difference in the group sizes with these two rifles. The difference is that I can get the same groups with the CZ using Aguila Match Pistol ammo but the savage will shoot that ammo to 3/4"-1" at the same distance. I have not found any other ammo that will shoot good in the savage and I have tried a bunch.

HeHateMe
04-14-2012, 1:11 PM
I have a Savage Mk2 TR and a CZ 452, but in the trainer version. The CZ out shoots my Savage. I find the CZ fit and finish to be a little better. I have now outfitted my CZ with aperature sights and it's a dream to shoot off hand. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the CZ...shoots great with the aperature sights and shoots even better scoped. YMMV.

toby
04-14-2012, 1:14 PM
Both are great rifles but if you want craftsmanship or just a nice heirloom type piece the CZ is it.

Tank 57
04-14-2012, 3:50 PM
I can only comment on the CZ.Looked at Savages when I was looking for a .17HMR.Bought the CZ 455 combo.Liked being able to switch calibers.Very happy with the CZ.

Might still buy a Savage down the road.They have some great models.Rimfires are kind of addicting.

thenotoriousmo
04-15-2012, 2:23 AM
well the main purpose of this rifle will be more of a trainer rifle, thats why i had my heart originally set on the 40x 22lr and i could drop it into the extra 700 stock i have. but cmp is out and blackops precision rimfire repeater action doesnt seem to be coming out any time soon.

the caliber swap on the CZ seems like a nice idea, but i highly doubt i will ever shoot 17hmr as 223 seems as a more cost practical solution if am looking to shoot a little further. but i do like the fact that i can put on a lilja (any others?) match barrel on latter if i desire without any major work.

so far it seems like the CZ is the way i will be going. anyone know a place that has it in stock around the south orange county area? new or used??

Black_Talon
04-15-2012, 5:43 PM
so far it seems like the CZ is the way i will be going. anyone know a place that has it in stock around the south orange county area? new or used??

The 455V's are quite hard to find right now as they're newly released. I got mine two weeks ago through Davidson's in AZ (https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=02140&mfg=CZ-USA&mdl=CZ+455&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=22LR&fin=&sit=&zipcode=91016). They were initially out of stock when I first looked, so I signed up for an email notification. I got an email a few weeks later saying that they had 7 in stock. I quickly ordered mine, which was sent out to my local FFL the next day. Their website currently shows "out of stock" again, but it couldn't hurt for you to sign up for the email notification.

Barstow
04-15-2012, 6:25 PM
CZ I have the 452 in 17 hmr and I'm amazed at the accuracy and it's a nice well made rifle with a good finish and stock. Im very happy with it just my 2 cents.

NOTABIKER
04-16-2012, 2:44 PM
if it looks good, shoots straight and gives you no trouble what else is their.

facn650
04-16-2012, 2:54 PM
For those of you in the know, do you recommend picking up a 452 varmint if available or going with the new 455 platform?