PDA

View Full Version : Trigger and disconnect don't line up

itzjere
04-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Hey guys. I'm building my first AR, and bought a LPK from PSA. I'm trying to install the disconnect into the trigger, but the holes are not lining up. I'm confident I put the spring in the correct direction (flared portion into the trigger). There is a lot of resistance when trying to push the disconnect down to line up the holes.. Is it possible that the tolerance of the trigger groove is too tight? I feel a lot of friction, and can even see markings on my disconnect after I pull (hard) the disconnect out.

Any help would be nice.. Am I missing something or is my part defective?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7123/6929692456_2530121129_b.jpg

GettoPhilosopher
04-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Pics of the wear?

It's a part under spring tension, you should have to shove to get the holes to line up. Try taking out the spring and attempting to put it together, see if it fits. If not, call PSA. If so, put the spring back in and push harder.

itzjere
04-14-2012, 12:08 AM
I have tried to line it up without the spring installed. Same result.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7074/7075816689_348c993539_b.jpg

Ignore the wear on the other parts of the disconnect (ends), i was trying to gauge the trigger to see where the tolerance gets tighter and it got stuck (causing the wear). The main area causing the wear is under the hole.

GettoPhilosopher
04-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I have tried to line it up without the spring installed. Same result.

Ignore the wear on the other parts of the disconnect (ends), i was trying to gauge the trigger to see where the tolerance gets tighter and it got stuck (causing the wear). The main area causing the wear is under the hole.

Weird. Call PSA, or find a Calgunner nearby who can take a look.

EvolutionGSR
04-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Youre squeezing it from the spring side. Squeeze from the other side and pivot the other end down till they line up.

itzjere
04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
In the photo, yes I am squeezing spring size, but it still doesn't really explain the resistance in the trigger channel. I have tried also pressing it down from the non-spring side and get the same result. I have also tried feeding a punch through a push it down; same result.

EvolutionGSR
04-14-2012, 1:16 AM
Hmm. Yeah i dont think it was that hard when i put mine together. There may be an issue.

jbush
04-14-2012, 1:47 AM
Ya, that's what i was going to say. Don't squeeze the spring side. Mine was very tight and because your working against the spring, it is difficult to get it to line up, especially since you're kind of working blind trying to push in the pin while pushing down on the disconnector, with your fingers in the way of seeing what you are doing. It took me a few trys, but it did go in. Take out the trigger and disconnector, pushing or aligning from the end opposite the spring, it should line up. Then just be patient and try to keep working it while in the lower. The tolerance is very tight, and the angle is a little awkward but it should go.

itzjere
04-14-2012, 8:44 AM
Ya, that's what i was going to say. Don't squeeze the spring side. Mine was very tight and because your working against the spring, it is difficult to get it to line up, especially since you're kind of working blind trying to push in the pin while pushing down on the disconnector, with your fingers in the way of seeing what you are doing. It took me a few trys, but it did go in. Take out the trigger and disconnector, pushing or aligning from the end opposite the spring, it should line up. Then just be patient and try to keep working it while in the lower. The tolerance is very tight, and the angle is a little awkward but it should go.

I agree the spring does put tension against the disconnector, making it harder to line up, but doesn't explain why it doesn't line up when I don't have the spring in there.. there is clearly some resistance in the trigger channel.. it is relatively resistance free when I run the disconnector through from the end, until it hits a spot underneath the hole... I don't believe I don't have any wear on my disconnector, or see any resistance when putting the two pieces together without a spring installed.

itzjere
04-14-2012, 8:49 AM
Here's a photo without the spring installed... spring-side slides in fine, I can feel it hit the bottom of the trigger channel and is resistance free.. moves freely as well.. The other side of the disconnector is 'sitting' on something.. i cannot push it down at all by hand.. even light hammering doesn't move it.. this rules out any tension from the spring. Would it be a bad idea to do some light sanding on the inside of the trigger channel?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6930745176_31b74bb008_b.jpg

russ69
04-14-2012, 9:09 AM
I opened up a parts kit and took a look at the disconnector. On my parts the hole in the disco is a lot closer to the edge of the part. I think you have a bad disco.

http://blackrifleworks.com/ar-15-disconnector-p-81.html

Munny$hot
04-14-2012, 9:13 AM
Your disconnector spring is upside down. The larger rings should be facing up

itzjere
04-14-2012, 9:36 AM

Are you sure? This is my first time building, but everything I've read says the larger end faces down and into the trigger.. it allows it to lock into place and not fall out.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Install disconnector spring with the wider portion of spring down towards trigger and push until it locks in there.

itzjere
04-14-2012, 9:37 AM
After sanding down the inside of the trigger a little, I was able to remove the resistance... Here's the disconnect lined up with the trigger without the spring installed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/6930876932_53d51c7bf3_b.jpg

818gtiguy
04-14-2012, 2:43 PM

You are incorrect. The larger coils go inside the trigger.

Prc329
04-14-2012, 5:23 PM
After sanding down the inside of the trigger a little, I was able to remove the resistance... Here's the disconnect lined up with the trigger without the spring installed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/6930876932_53d51c7bf3_b.jpg

Make sure you do a function check. Don't want to get to the range and find the rifle can go full auto on you.

itzjere
04-14-2012, 7:29 PM
Make sure you do a function check. Don't want to get to the range and find the rifle can go full auto on you.

Yup, thank you for that. I have done as much function check as I can without an upper.

jbush
04-14-2012, 8:17 PM
Glad you were able to solve the problem. I've got 2 more of there parts kits coming, my first one was really tight, but I got the pin in, so I hope the new kits are OK. I've always heard large end of spring into trigger.

Solidux
04-14-2012, 8:26 PM
how can you tell if its going to go full auto during the standard functions check? (holding trigger back while charging bolt then letting it go for single click)

strongpoint
04-14-2012, 8:52 PM
how can you tell if its going to go full auto during the standard functions check? (holding trigger back while charging bolt then letting it go for single click)

go here: http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

it's under "hammer assembly." if the disconnector properly snags the hammer and limits it to one fall per trigger pull, you're GTG.

i'd love to know your source for this. do you have a functioning AR built this way?

dachan
04-14-2012, 9:49 PM

Absolutely wrong. The larger rings go inside the trigger. If you don't know what you're talking about, stay quiet; otherwise you're going to get someone hurt.

Munny$hot
04-15-2012, 7:20 AM

Everyone is correct the large ring "SHOULD BE FACING DOWN" I was using my son's computer and his mouse touch pad is FUBARD and over sensitive since it makes the cursor jump around, so the "n't" was omitted from my post.