PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Build, I know it been asked 100x

bikr4jc
04-13-2012, 7:58 PM
Looking to start a AR build. Not sure what some of the parts are, or used or what is needed.
First of all I see unit labled .223 / 5.56 NATO, does it shoot both ammo?? What is a good caliber?

Second, what about barrel twist, I see 1/9, 1/11, 1/7 what is the differance. Longer 20" or shorter 16"?? What flash hiders are illiegal in CA??

Third, What is a buffer tube???? What makes one better then the other..?

also they talk about headspace??? Single stage or double stage trigger...?

Thanks in advance!! I know will be asking alot of questons....

TreeHugger
04-13-2012, 8:30 PM
Too much to type out, all of your questions can easily be answered by Google-ling.

Cucv
04-13-2012, 8:56 PM
hope this helps !

Looking to start a AR build. Not sure what some of the parts are, or used or what is needed.
First of all I see unit labled .223 / 5.56 NATO, does it shoot both ammo?? What is a good caliber? .223 and 5.56 are almost the same size. But a 223 only upper wont be happy if you shoot 5.56 in it. buy an upper that shoots both.

Second, what about barrel twist, I see 1/9, 1/11, 1/7 what is the differance. Longer 20" or shorter 16"?? Rifling is often described by its twist rate, which indicates the distance the bullet must travel to complete one full revolution, such as "1 turn in 10 inches" What flash hiders are illiegal in CA??

Third, What is a buffer tube???? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/429441_Please_explain_Buffer__Buffer_Spring.html What makes one better then the other..?

also they talk about headspace??? Single stage or double stage trigger...?

Thanks in advance!! I know will be asking alot of questons....

bikr4jc
04-13-2012, 9:18 PM
Thanks, I will check out that site see if I can figure this out...

jbush
04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes, if you do some homework on ar15.com and read all the stickys most of your questions will be answered. There's a great one on barrel twist rates. Check both the discussions and build it yourself forms.

bearstatearmory.com
04-13-2012, 10:52 PM
In regards to the barrel length, have you ever held an AR? I'm not trying to be a smart *** but for instance, my brother had one before me with a 16" upper and for my body, it felt a little too short; therefore, I went with the 20" upper to feel a little more stretched out. I think that you are putting a little too much thought into your build in regards to things like headspacing. Headspacing is something inside your rifle that you don't really need to worry about unless you are going to be reloading and building ammo to the tightest possible specs. The buffer tube connects your butt stock to the lower. Hope this helps.

bikr4jc
04-14-2012, 5:52 AM
Thanks that does help, I'm going to the Zombie shoot next week hopefully I can get some play time with one and learn a little more. It is a new platform for me.

artoaster
04-14-2012, 6:52 AM
I think you might say what you are going to do with it such as on a normal outing you take it out of the safe, put it in the car, buy ammo, go to the range, and shoot at what?

Or, does it stay in the safe and it looks a certain way with things you want to put on it?

peter95
04-14-2012, 7:12 AM
If I reply with the answer, it'll turn into an essay.

Search will be your best friend for this. Good luck.

The War Wagon
04-14-2012, 7:24 AM
If you HAVE to ask what ALL those parts are, you DON'T KNOW the platform well enough to be building one yet! :facepalm:

Find a brand you like, and buy it. Shoot the hell out of it. Disassemble it, clean it, study it - learn what wears and why - see what GOOD construction looks like (buy a BCM, Colt, Noveske, LMT, or DD), before you attempt to assemble parts you're not familiar with.

It was 18 YEARS, between owning my first AR, and building my first LOWER. I still have never BUILT an upper - I don't have the tools (which you'll ALSO need) to do it.

I'd really rather NOT see the aftermath of your facial reconstruction surgeries, if you do this wrong. LEARN first - BUILD second.

Here endeth the lesson... :oji:

Agent Tikki
04-14-2012, 7:26 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=555451

ENJOI

bikr4jc
04-14-2012, 7:52 AM
Thanks all. Yes I'm new to the platform so that is why all the question.

Thanks Tikki, this will be a great help. Thanks for your time making this avalable!

Agent Tikki
04-14-2012, 7:57 AM
Thanks all. Yes I'm new to the platform so that is why all the question.

Thanks Tikki, this will be a great help. Thanks for your time making this avalable!

No problem. :D

Agent Tikki
04-14-2012, 8:01 AM
As for buffer tubes, milspec is better. Just make sure if your buffer tube is milspec, get a milspec stock. Milspec to Milspec, Commercial to Commercial.

It is located aft of the lower reciever. Rifle tubes, for fixed non collapseable stocks are just tubes that house the buffer and buffer spring. Carbine buffer tubes have a rectangular extention on the bottom of the tube running lengthwise. It has depresions in the extention for collapseable stocks to latch into making them multi postitional. Pistol tubes look like rifle tubes but are shorter and are sometimes covered with foam.

bikr4jc
04-14-2012, 8:30 AM
Just read the entire acticle on my phone. This was excellent info for a noob. Thanks, I feel like I can get into this platform.

Agent Tikki
04-14-2012, 8:38 AM
Be Careful!

BRD Black Rifle Disease may cause headaches, dizzyness, shortness of breath and depletion of bank account. :p

cmartin72
04-14-2012, 8:59 AM
If you HAVE to ask what ALL those parts are, you DON'T KNOW the platform well enough to be building one yet! :facepalm:

Find a brand you like, and buy it. Shoot the hell out of it. Disassemble it, clean it, study it - learn what wears and why - see what GOOD construction looks like (buy a BCM, Colt, Noveske, LMT, or DD), before you attempt to assemble parts you're not familiar with.

It was 18 YEARS, between owning my first AR, and building my first LOWER. I still have never BUILT an upper - I don't have the tools (which you'll ALSO need) to do it.

I'd really rather NOT see the aftermath of your facial reconstruction surgeries, if you do this wrong. LEARN first - BUILD second.

I'm not so sure this applies to everyone just getting in to blackrifles. I personally had never even so much as touched one, shot one, or owned one before starting my build. I looked at the offerings from many companies and the cheap ones were not appealing, the expensive ones were....well, expensive. I wanted what I like, and for it to be tactiCOOL in my own way. What better way to learn the inner workings of your AR, than to build it with your own hands. The key is research! In 3 months I built my first AR just over a year ago, now I have 3 and just bought an 80% to go to the next level of the build process. I think anyone can build one and if you don't have the skill or knowledge to assemble certain aspects (i.e. Barrels) then either get a complete upper, or find others around you to help you along. Just my $0.02

EIDT: I just wanted to throw in there, it did not take me 3 months to assemble! I did THAT much research on exactly what I wanted.

Bull's_eye
04-14-2012, 10:08 AM
I built my first lower in about a half hour following some online instructions without any issues. Plan on buying a complete upper. Anyone with some shred of mechanical aptitude and the ability to follow instructions can assemble a lower. And it's two pins to attach an upper. Can't speak to assembling an upper, since I haven't done it, but I wouldn't discourage a new owner from putting together a lower and then picking out the upper they want.

Toyman321
04-14-2012, 10:18 AM

Baloney, there is more than enough instruction out there to get someone started on their first build. My AR wasn't purchased as a complete gun, went together smooth, no hiccups, no issues. If you're diligent, spend the time to research and do things right there is absolutely no reason someone who has not owned one before couldn't build one.

monk
04-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Baloney, there is more than enough instruction out there to get someone started on their first build. My AR wasn't purchased as a complete gun, went together smooth, no hiccups, no issues. If you're diligent, spend the time to research and do things right there is absolutely no reason someone who has not owned one before couldn't build one.

Yep. I just got into shooting about 2 or 3 years ago and I'm building my first AR. The lower is already built, minus the stock, and the upper is coming together. It's not hard and what tools you need are readily available. All you really need is some punches, a hammer, pliers, and some tape. While having those "specialty tools" is nice, it's not required from what I'm seeing, other than maybe a decent armorer's wrench.

hyperion.excal
04-14-2012, 10:43 AM
BRD Black Rifle Disease may cause headaches, dizzyness, shortness of breath and depletion of bank account. :p

^ This :43:

Agent Tikki
04-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Lowers are easy enough.

Uppers need a torque wrench, barrel wrench, receiver block, and vise. All can be had for about a $100. For just a build or two, its not really cost effective to build your own upper, but spread that cost over a few builds you'll be ahead.

If you can put together a bicycle or Ikea furniture, you can build an AR. Don't be afraid! It's just a machine.

TMcGuff
04-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Buy Upper chambered for 5.56

1/7 twist only chrome lined

buffer tube is what the butt stock attaches too also houses the buffer and buffer spring

Single Stage Trigger.

bikr4jc
04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the info. I am very mechanical so I am not scared of the build. I just the type that likes to know everything before I get started. What I am scared of is BRD. Tikki post was a big help a must read for a noob. This is why I support CalGuns for this type of help! Thank You all! I am planning a strip lower and complete upper this time.

bikr4jc
04-14-2012, 1:05 PM
I got the buffer tube figured out. What I ment was gas tube, but Tikki post cleared that up.

monk
04-14-2012, 1:07 PM
Lowers are easy enough.

Uppers need a torque wrench, barrel wrench, receiver block, and vise. All can be had for about a $100. For just a build or two, its not really cost effective to build your own upper, but spread that cost over a few builds you'll be ahead.

If you can put together a bicycle or Ikea furniture, you can build an AR. Don't be afraid! It's just a machine.

I need to get a receiver block...

jcslone
04-14-2012, 8:33 PM
I'd recommend just buying a complete AR such as the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport CA Legal model and throwing an A2-style carry handle on it and learn how to shoot with iron sights really well. It'll be a lot of fun and you can get those two items fairly cheaply. It's simple, easy, and you don't spend a lot of time fiddling with things and you can just get right to shooting.

M&P 15 CA Legal Model: http://grabagun.com/s-w-m-p15-spt-556-16-10rd-blt-btn.html (it says outta stock but if you search the model on Google Shopping you'll find others right around the same price).
A2 Carry Handle sights: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR119-7.html (inexpensive and perfect to start out on).

I'd then read up on using the A2 iron sights and maybe even pick up a book on it. Here's the USMC Marksmanship Manual if you're interested in looking at it. It covers an extremely large amount of information related to the M16A2 Service Rifle and it's employment: http://www.scribd.com/mrbill/d/432351-USMC-MCRP-301A-Rifle-Marksmanship

When you do start shooting, make a record book of every shot you take and all the information (wind speed/direction, shooting stance, temperature, humidity, type of ammo, your sight, settings on the sights, etc). That's called "dope". Tracking that stuff over time will help you improve your shooting and notice trends and problems along the way. There's a good sticky thread on here about it.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck and welcome to the Wonderful World of Black Rifles! :D