PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show

icenix
04-13-2012, 8:47 PM
So, I haven't been to a gun show in years, since I was a kid in fact, but I am going to go to one this weekend.

I have already heard they are far from what they once were, and I have been told that they now mostly consist of cheap knock-offs, items that are marked up, etc.

However, what can be had at a show these days? I imagine some deals on ammo, but anything else? What should I look for? What should I avoid?

Thanks

joelogic
04-13-2012, 8:51 PM
No deals, but plenty of jerky, as seen on tv, and jewelry.

Gruber51
04-13-2012, 9:00 PM
If miwal is there, great deals on ammo and no shipping cost. Neat to see a lot of accessories 1st hand that I usually buy online. Be ready to pay $10 to get in and at some places parking fee as well.

SURVIVOR619
04-13-2012, 9:06 PM
If you've done your research online first, and go knowing generally what you want, you will know for sure if it is a good deal or not.

Yes, plenty of cheap knockoffs, but a fair amount of good stuff too. My main acquisitions are usually ammo and magazines...

For me, I never go expecting to see some soooper deal, but I enjoy walking around, seeing other goons and holding some nice rifles that I know I won't own this year, and probably not next... Enjoy it for what it is, I do. :thumbsup:

icenix
04-13-2012, 9:17 PM
Yeah, I am not going in looking to buy anything, more just to go as something to do. I am going with a friend who is more looking to buy something than I am. I know parking won't be free, but between a couple of us, it won't cost much. I am expecting to see a CalGuns booth, hopefully.

If I do see a good deal on magazines or something like that, I might take a second look, but we'll see.

coy80176
04-13-2012, 9:17 PM
there are good deals on firearms to be found...and looking is more than half the fun. If and when you do find a piece, you can work on the price, more often than not....if you have cash in hand.

definately not the shows of years ago... also already stated, they'll get you for parking as well as admisson so be sure to make it worth your day.

twopatch
04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
coins,stamps,t-shirts,beef jerky. A lot of old,beat up,full retail price guns. A few nice guns. about a 1/4 of the size that they used to be 8-10 years ago, at least in Sacramento. They are still good for magazines,gun cases,holsters. The ammo is a fair,not great price. The powers,and primers are pretty good prices. I would get there early it seems the more popular powder goes quick.

mmrx2
04-13-2012, 10:28 PM
It's not worth the hassle for me.

Travis590A1
04-14-2012, 12:43 AM
they got plenty of 30 round rebuild kits lol but usually jus promag junk. Some decent ammo and of course a lot of rednecks without deoderant lol. Over all the 2 that ive been to in ventura were a days worth of fun though.

Solid Foundation
04-14-2012, 12:50 AM
I still like going... nice to see some of the non gun related items. I picked up a kitchen knife sharpener I've been wanting for $10. Normally those are $20+

You'll find some things loosely related but possibly on your radar if you give it a chance.
It's like everything else in life: filter through the crap and you'll sometimes stumble on a legitimate good deal.

jbush
04-14-2012, 2:03 AM
they got plenty of 30 round rebuild kits lol but usually jus promag junk. Some decent ammo and of course a lot of rednecks without deoderant lol. Over all the 2 that ive been to in ventura were a days worth of fun though.

Went to one last year in the IE, besides the rednecks there were a lot of gangsta lookin guys. There was a lot of ammo being sold but I didn't see much that I wanted. It was expensive with parking and admission, but it was a interesting people watching day. Don't think I'd run back to another one unless I had nothing else to do.

MrPlink
04-14-2012, 2:27 AM
Meh, its something to do that involves guns, but OP nailed it.

johnthomas
04-14-2012, 2:41 AM
A few years ago I went to one in San Jose that advertised 150 tables, they neglected to mention that a hundred and twenty five of them were folded up against the wall. Paid 5 bucks for parking and 6 each for three of us. I would never go to the San Jose gun show again.

hemiguy55
04-14-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm just about to go in! I always find it fun to just look around.

jubjubrsx
04-14-2012, 3:25 PM
only thing i found was ammo and ammo cans at a good price...

Cypriss32
04-14-2012, 3:37 PM
Fresno gun show is the worst thing EVER..... SUCKs!

MrPlink
04-14-2012, 3:55 PM
Just got back from the SF show.

Very MEH. Seems like there are more companies selling knock off made in China crap than ever!

3 vendors selling mag magnets, one of which was manned by a 13 year old kit, whom had the magnet attached to rifle with TONS of evil features and to top it off he had a Calguns flow chart laminate on the table!
Had it been an adult I think I would have taken some time to test his reading comprehension skills with his own chart!

busta00
04-14-2012, 4:06 PM
agreed, it was almost like the flea market there. same knock off stuff different table 5 bucks difference. I am sad i missed the 800 rd ammo cans for 12.95.

kurby09
04-14-2012, 4:09 PM
The shows are always fun to go to, sometime you can find a pretty good deal on a few things. you just gotta keep a lookout for some stuff. i went to one here in fresno sometime last january and if im correct their is also a show going on as i speak this weekend down at the fair grounds. it def wasnt what i expected it to be. was hoping to see a little more stuff but instead all i saw was a bunch of low end accessories and a few fire arms. i must say though, there was alot of ammo and depending on who you talk too some of the vendors are pretty flexible when it comes to negotiating prices. last jan when i went with my friend, we were able to pick up a complete RRA upper with a free float rail for 320 bucks so it def made our trip worht it. overall go and have fun and make sure you spend the day there to make the entrance fee worth it.

stilagrrl
04-14-2012, 4:15 PM
I just got back as well. I haven't been to a Cow Palace show in a couple of years, but I went in knowing, I wasn't going to see many guns. I did pick up a Fenix TK 70 for a good price. I also got an Osprey scope for my 6.8SPC which I'm pretty happy with. Let's see, what else did I get...some knock off rescue tape, a knife sharpener, .357 SIG reloads, a couple of bricks of .22 Stingers, a bottle of Breakfree and of course, some jerkey.

TMcGuff
04-14-2012, 4:17 PM
Ammo thats about it. The ammo group buys on here are usually 10 bucks cheaper. also you have to pay 10 bucks to get in in the first place to buy ammo. waste of time and money and you get **** that dosent work

CIV Tactical
04-14-2012, 4:19 PM

Very MEH. Seems like there are more companies selling knock off made in China crap than ever!

3 vendors selling mag magnets, one of which was manned by a 13 year old kit, whom had the magnet attached to rifle with TONS of evil features and to top it off he had a Calguns flow chart laminate on the table!
Had it been an adult I think I would have taken some time to test his reading comprehension skills with his own chart!

Agreed, just got back my self and I felt like I was at the flea market. One table of pistols and plethora of knock off AR15 stuff. It was disappointing to say the least. Thank goodness I had business there to handle with JD Machine Tech or it would have been a total waste of time. It should be called a flea market because only about 10% of the show has guns.

empty the mag
04-14-2012, 4:25 PM
I went this year because I wanted to actually see and feel AR parts because I am new to AR but have done a bit of reading. Only one dealer JD had lowers and complete lowers. I was hoping there would be more representation but no there was not. Lots of no name AR stuff mixed in (could not swear it was import but highly suspect) with a couple of quality name recognition higher then the Internet pricing parts. Guns, used guns, knives and imitation knives galore. Some pricey Beef jerky. Lots of survival stuff working it's way in. I just could not justify a back pac for $330.00. I like my used Australian military $25.00 back pac just fine. Picked up some new target shooting 45 brass FMJ for $37.00 for a hundred and 9mm brass FMJ for $25.00 for a hundred.

jpm804
04-14-2012, 5:00 PM
only thing i found was ammo and ammo cans at a good price...

^this....but luckily this is what I was looking for. Didnt even try to look at AR parts since it can be had online for cheaper.

Not any good 5.56 deals mostly saw .223..

DoubleDown707
04-14-2012, 5:32 PM
I was gonna go tomorrow but I'm having second thoughts now...

DRUNKENMASTER
04-14-2012, 5:43 PM
Today was my first ever gun show and it was disappointing for sure. I left with 1k rounds of ammo so it wasn't a complete waste.

atakacorp
04-14-2012, 5:56 PM
Anyone saw gun powder? last time they didn’t get a permit to sell it in CP, if its no go, I'll skip this one

FLIGHT762
04-14-2012, 6:42 PM
Yes there are two vendors with powder. I bought the last 2 bottles of Alliant AR Comp and three bottles of 8208XBR. The powder was selling fast. $26.00 per # out the door. He did have an 8# of 8208 for $169.00.

Second vendor had a bit less variety @ 23.99 #.

Miwall had no powder there (according to the Miwall cashier at the primer booth) but lots of primers.

Gem1950
04-14-2012, 7:33 PM
Go to the one in Phoenix if you want to experience a real gun show.

icenix
04-14-2012, 8:27 PM
Well, to my surprise, parking was free. Entry fee was $9, but it covers two days if I wanted to go back.

However, I went though the whole show in a little over an hour, as it wasn't that big. It did seem pretty packed however.

I saw tons of MagPul stuff, lots of knives, candles of some sort, and even GI JOEs and Hot Wheels. Found those last couple odd. No CalGuns table :(

I saw some decent prices on some stuff. I saw some MagPul stuff prices less than I paid at a gun shop, but only by $5-$10. Other stuff.....I saw a guy who had some Primary Arms red dots that were prices either $10 too much, or $10 less that what they are on the PA website less shipping, depending on which one I saw, but I forget now.

Lots of ammo being sold. I went with a couple of other guys....one bought a bunch of ammo reloads and the other bought some shotgun stuff. I only walked out with an empty ammo can, that, I guess if you consider my entry fee, cost more than it should have.

Regardless, it was fun, was something to do, and was interesting to see since I haven't been to one in years. There were a few items I was interested in, but I wanted to come home and see what they go for online before I bought them at a show, so who knows, I may go back tomorrow since I get in free with today's admission and pick up a couple more items.

ns3v3n
04-14-2012, 9:02 PM
The jerky was good, bought a few bags of it. The only thing that caught my attention was a Marlin 1894cb in 38 special. If I didnt have one in 357 mag, I would consider it. For a price of $600, it wasn't bad either. I always enjoy watching the fire starter guy with the magesium sticks. I got one from him years ago, good fun. Overall, it wasnt bad to spend 2 1/2 hours with my friend and gf, plus, I love jerky LOL.

Jumphouse
04-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Personally I had a blast at the show. I went with my son-in-law and neither of us had been to the Cow Palace show in over 10 years. There was a ton of stuff there for sure, and since I was looking for some Magpul stuff it was perfect for me. I picked up Magpuls CTR buttstock and an extra Pmag magazine. Talking to the President of Osprey optics, a colorful gentleman indeed, was entertaining. Throw in a couple of knives and few other impulse items and it made for a great day. I passed on the jerky though.

Johnnyfres
04-15-2012, 4:25 AM
You must have been at the Fresno show. I was there today. It's too bad that you see a lot of knock off crap there. For Example I saw an Aimpoint comp 2 knockoff. Almost bought it thinking it was a used one and then the guy busted out the box and I was no thanks.

Anyways I agree. The only real deals would be on ammo and mags. I purchased some 12g Slugs and Buckshot and some 5.56.

bomb_on_bus
04-15-2012, 8:31 AM
Ammo, jerky, cleaning supplies, ammo cans are about all I get from them.

icenix
04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
You must have been at the Fresno show. I was there today. It's too bad that you see a lot of knock off crap there. For Example I saw an Aimpoint comp 2 knockoff. Almost bought it thinking it was a used one and then the guy busted out the box and I was no thanks.

Anyways I agree. The only real deals would be on ammo and mags. I purchased some 12g Slugs and Buckshot and some 5.56.

Yep. One thing I did enjoy was, for the most part, people selling gun related items that didn't treat me like an idiot because I am not a regular like most of the shops do. I found most of the sellers to be helpful, at least the ones I talked to. I liked the fact they they are out of towners.

empty the mag
04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Go to the one in Phoenix if you want to experience a real gun show.

I recommend a Texas gun show if you want to see a real gun show. Went a couple of months ago and they had shotgun handguns, Really. Silencers and all kinds of semi automatic shotguns I have never seen before.

pyro3k2
04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Fresno gun show is the worst thing EVER..... SUCKs!

but that trigger happy guy with the taser in the back corner is real reason why I go to that show every time!

calif 15-22
04-15-2012, 1:56 PM

I counted 5 total vendors including the "kid" selling. First time I had seem these tiny "plugs" that fit inside the bullet button.

Show was a waste of time. $8 to park. $10 to get in and nothing but gansters and rednecks. Never again

454kahuna
04-15-2012, 2:18 PM
Check out thr raugus turner shooting fair june1,2,3 in corona, seams like a good place to shoot what u want to buy.

GMANtt
04-15-2012, 2:31 PM
Is the Raahauges gun fair worth going? I've never been to a Gun Fair and it seems they are all a bust. Although I've heard great things about Raahauges.

454kahuna
04-15-2012, 2:38 PM
Been to gunshow of the west @ orange county fair grounds, good deal on ammo. The gunfair in corona is better, see something that u like, shoot it, and buy it @ turners outdoorsman. Atleast shhot thbe gatlingun

ap3572001
04-15-2012, 2:57 PM
If someone really knows how to "work the show" they can get REALLY good deals on stuff.

HINT. DEAL WITH PRIVATE SELLERS.

Over the years, I got some great deals and met some cool people. Even made trades.

Slash
04-15-2012, 3:19 PM
I went to the Fresno gun show on Saturday and thought it was pretty good. As noted, parking was free and the entry fee was $9 for both days. The door people were very friendly and professional. I got there about 10 am and the place was packed.

I saw a large variety of firearms; reloading stuff including tools, powder, bullets; shooting accessories; knives of all descriptions; non-lethal weapons; and non-firearm collectibles. Some of the more interesting tables: one guy had alot of old .22 rimfire rifles, another had alot of bb-guns, I saw one table that had four different falling-block rifles that ranged in price from $575 to $1,500, there was a guy selling various "black rifle" pieces including an FAL kit, there were several tables with middle-of-the-road hunting rifles and shotguns priced lower than the local retail outlets. I saw new stuff, C&R stuff, antiques, American, European, Asian, military weapons, target rifles and pistols, and on and on.

My friend who was there with me made a killer deal on a custom bolt-action rifle based on an Arisaka action and I saw a CZ Lux chambered in .416 Rigby that was in 99% condition priced at $700! If I hadn't blown my firearm budget for the year last month, that would be mine!

I don't know what you guys are looking for in a gun show, but I don't think the Fresno show sucked!

MrPlink
04-15-2012, 3:24 PM
I don't know what you guys are looking for in a gun show, but I don't think the Fresno show sucked!

some of us remember how the shows used to be :oji:

atakacorp
04-15-2012, 3:36 PM
got there around 9:30 ,8$ parking,20$ tickets(daughter),I got last 1000 round box of 7.62X39 ,240$ out of the door, got great deal on AK/Saiga mags/drams from guys of Solar Tactical ,some cleaning stuff for my Saiga 12, almost bought milled Yugo 70 kit for 400$, overall from 1 to 10 it 3+,plus for jerky:43:

InGrAM
04-15-2012, 7:26 PM
Gun shows are for free states. Sadly.... :/

BradleyAbrams
04-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Went to thepne in OC a couple of weeks ago. It was OK, but definiytelly not what it was 20 -25 years ago in Pomona..

Still, there was cool stuff to be seen.

One guy was seling Tanker Garands for $850. These were regular Garands which he modified with a retrofit kit..That one tested my self control to its limits..I almost blew half of our House payment hanging around that table there too long..

I got some German Army surplus cammo pants for $3.00.

And I also bought a Mag Repair Kit for Shyt and Grins...It's pretty rough. Had to massage it to make it work.

OH, yeah...there was also a few babes walking around, including one whose Black G-String showed through her flimsy dress - That was nice...:cool:

And another who Had to be a 44DD, stuffed inside a small T-Shirt

That too was very nice..:43:

All in all, I got to spend a good time with 3 of my friends who I have known since Jr High.

Nixon was President at the time..:)

-

Tripnox
04-16-2012, 7:52 AM
I got a stripped lower (blemish) from JD Machine for $99.

toyotaguy
04-29-2012, 1:07 PM
Anyone been to the Turlock gun shows? There is one coming up this weekend, I'm wondering if it is worth going to? Also can you still Cash and Carry C&R guns at gun shows from vendors or does that only go for private sellers?

Capybara
04-29-2012, 1:41 PM
Took my son for his first show in Ventura yesterday. I have to say, I went to the one earlier in the year there and this one was better. Quite a lot more guns, a lot of EBRs and lot of C&Rs. Miwall had 1,000 rounds of 9mm reloads for $149.00, not bad. Yes, a lot of non-gun related crap, but some fun stuff too. My son was amazed at how many Airsoft guns are made and from a distance, some of them look pretty convincing, other than the orange barrel plug.

The people were better at this one too, fewer rude people and a few more "excuse me" were heard. $5.00 to park, $9.00 entry. In my mind, not a bad way to kill 2-3 hours on a Saturday morning. No great bargains, some of the prices were laughable, but like every gun show, cash talks and people will deal with you.

Bought a Soundcube speaker that I can use for my work that was a great find and bought some gun safe pistol hangers. Nothing I couldn't have bought on-line but it was fun. My son said, "Dad, they should call this a knife show, not a gun show". There were three or four different areas manned by Asian guys who had obviously been importing all of this stuff from China, I was amazed at the cutlery deals that they had, not quality stuff, really cheap stuff, but the prices were amazing for some of the more elaborate machetes, etc.

I do want to go to a gun show in a free state, I know that they are a lot more interesting.

artoaster
04-29-2012, 2:48 PM
Went to Ventura gun show today, Sunday. Parking and admission together is a tough pill to swallow $14 with coupon. Wish I could've spent more time there, like all day to see everything.

Really liked JD Machine's booth and people working it. The JD 5.56/.223 Cylindrical Free Float Handguard is SWEET!

Then there was the guy selling a magnetic bullet button "tool" that is supposed to attach to a "docking station" which is a steel shirt button you pin on your clothing between mag changes so that the "tool" doesn't stay magnetically attached to the magazine release on the AR thereby violating the law and making you the felon. Really kind of a stretch when in fact if were left on you'd have, for all intents and purposes, a regular working mag release.

HMMM?

brando
04-29-2012, 2:56 PM
I stopped going to gun shows in CA when they were overrun by beef jerky and Nazi trinket sellers.

Capybara
04-29-2012, 3:10 PM
Yeah, every time I see those dumb and possibly illegal BB tools, I always just say, "we have the UBBT, it works great, case closed." Everything else for BBs seems like a gimmick, the UBBT is the way to go.

weber_2
04-29-2012, 6:32 PM
They should really police what some stands are selling. Last time I went there was a booth selling crystal and another selling books. I thought I was at the Santa Fe Springs swap meet only thing missing was the WAR cover band and a few more Cholos

sigstroker
04-29-2012, 8:13 PM

He wasn't the only one. There was another guy doing the same stupid thing.

There is a LOT more Chinese knock-off crap now, and some of it isn't easy to detect.

Also, Crossroads now charges you for TWO days even if you only want to go on one day.

sigstroker
04-29-2012, 8:23 PM
Go to the one in Knob Creek if you want to experience a real gun show.

Fixed your post.

Schlyme
04-29-2012, 9:17 PM
I picked up about 1500 of 22lr ammo at a decent price. Got 100 of 223 too. some mags and 2 of those nifty tri mag 10/22 holders. My brother put a deposit down for a nemesis vanquish in 308.

chiz_65
04-30-2012, 9:30 AM
What are some upcoming shows?

ptgarcia
04-30-2012, 2:12 PM
http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/calendar.php

tonyxcom
04-30-2012, 3:04 PM
I counted 5 total vendors including the "kid" selling.

Ok so maybe it isn't me and my buddy that notice this, but do any of you guys see the same latino kid... he is maybe 13-15 years old at 4 or 5 different booths, typically the ones selling magazines and "magpul" crap?

It seems like every time I pick something up to look at it, the same kid pops his head out from behind the pegboard wall.

And yes, I would rather have less tables and more space in the aisles than all the random old ladies selling random stupid crap. At least the show orgs have the common sense to put these space wasters at one end of the show so they are easy to bypass. But they still take up much needed space.

And when are these shows gonna figure out that you need to put more isle space around MiWall!

triggatronic
04-30-2012, 3:30 PM
Beef jerky, frog lube, ammo and other misc supplies. Ventura and Glendale have been pretty weak so far. Costa Mesa was a little better...until it started raining. Some of the knock off stuff makes me feel like I'm shopping at the garment district in Downtown LA. Yay a fake Eotech to go with my fake Oakley glasses. : )

cwin
04-30-2012, 3:55 PM
The Crossroads shows are pretty pointless. At least down in the SD/OC area. After paying for parking and admission you're not really saving any money. Deals aren't even that great anyways. Only thing really worth getting there is ammo.

weber_2
04-30-2012, 6:53 PM
I would say GLENDALE!!!! Is worth it if you want ammo, free parking and ticket only around 7 bucks (last time I went). And maybe you will see the future mayor....Kim K.

weber_2
04-30-2012, 6:56 PM
Costa Mesa on the other hand is a rip off. I could've bought a Wasr for the price of parking and admission. They might as well have annual passes to that place, it was like Disneyland admission.