PDA

View Full Version : My *First* Sleek Black Rifle Build Thread

Hakoomay
04-13-2012, 6:44 PM
Hey there guys and gals,

I just wanted to thank all of you CGers for the bank of information here. Since being introduced into the gun word, I've always debated whether to get an AR or AK, then i decided to go with an AR. After that decision, came the dilemma whether to buy or build! Since i'm a college student with little funds to spare, i decided to go ahead and build my own first AR.

So, as you all now know parts have been hard to get lately but i found everything i wanted; here is a list of the parts that I ave purchased and still waiting for half of them to come in the mail:

- Spike's Tactical Spider Lower
- DPMS 16" Lo-Pro Barrel Assembly (Bull Barreled)
- DPMS Lower Parts Kit
- Spike's Tactical Carbine Buffer Assembly Kit (w/ ST-T2 Buffer)
- Magpul ASC-L Buttstock (Black)
- Magpul MOE Hand Guard (Black)
- Magpul Trigger Guard (Black)
- Magpul Pmag 10/20 (Black)
- Ergo Grip (Black)
- Raddlock (Black)

What do you all think of this setup?? :cool2:

TreeHugger
04-13-2012, 8:44 PM
Just my own personal preference, since it's a 16", you were probably thinking size and weight, the one thing I would've changed is the barrel to a heavy instead, bull is too heavy. Also, I prefer a bullet button, no way I will screw up and forget having it in the wrong position.

Hakoomay
04-13-2012, 9:33 PM
The thing is Im already 6'4" and weigh about 280lbs lol so weight is no concern. I actually thought pencil barrels were too light! lol.

As for the raddlock, imma put it in ca legal setting and leave the key at home so no problems there

whats your opinion on the entire setup though? good products?

darmog
04-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Looks like a good setup so far although I don't think I saw any sights chosen yet?! Have you thought of irons or optics yet?

Flowmini98
04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
As for the raddlock, imma put it in ca legal setting and leave the key at home so no problems there

I too picked up a Raddlock for my build and just like you I dont want to get caught up in a bad situation either...so i figured setting it to CA legal position and leaving the key in the tool box at home was my safest bet.

GettoPhilosopher
04-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I too picked up a Raddlock for my build and just like you I dont want to get caught up in a bad situation either...so i figured setting it to CA legal position and leaving the key in the tool box at home was my safest bet.

The "key" is basically a flat head screwdriver.

There's a simple solution: don't change it to the detachable mode in CA. Occasionally check to make sure it's still tight.

*shrugs*

jbush
04-14-2012, 1:09 AM
Not big on DPMS LPKs, I think there's better for a few bucks more. A lot of people use them so ?????

TreeHugger
04-14-2012, 7:04 AM
The thing is Im already 6'4" and weigh about 280lbs lol so weight is no concern. I actually thought pencil barrels were too light! lol.

A heavy barrel is not the same as light(pencil). But, going by your size, even a heavy may look light :)

whats your opinion on the entire setup though? good products?

I'm guessing the DPMS LPK includes the mil-spec trigger, it'll do the job but not great at all, a good trigger is worth every penny. For CQC type setup, I like the Geissele SSA.

Hakoomay
04-14-2012, 9:31 AM
Looks like a good setup so far although I don't think I saw any sights chosen yet?! Have you thought of irons or optics yet?

I actually have this 3x9 optic that'll do for now since I have no more money expecially since i just paid tuition recently :( so this will get me buy till i save up some more

Not big on DPMS LPKs, I think there's better for a few bucks more. A lot of people use them so ?????

Yeah I hear Stag LPKs are very good but i so many places are out of stock so i found the dpms lpk and bought it

A heavy barrel is not the same as light(pencil). But, going by your size, even a heavy may look light :)

Hahahaha, i actually just picked up my barrel recently (bull barrel) and man that thing weighs nicely in my hands, all i need to get is everything together and enjoy it!

I'm guessing the DPMS LPK includes the mil-spec trigger, it'll do the job but not great at all, a good trigger is worth every penny. For CQC type setup, I like the Geissele SSA.

I want to change the trigger but some people say that you can just polish the dpms trigger in a way and it will be much better than it usually is. But i'm interested in a trigger that has about 4lbs pull but nothing that breaks the bank... thoughts?