PDA

View Full Version : Practical question - sling mount points

B!ngo
04-13-2012, 5:40 PM
I've been meaning to solicit info and opinions from the experienced AR-informed crowd about recommended sling mount points on the AR. Seems like for a two-point sling there are a few options:
Forward mount:
Near muzzle end of forward hand grip or;
Near receiver end of forward hand grip.
Rear mount:
Where the receiver and butt stock meet or;
At or near the tail of the butt stock

For a one-point sling either:

I've played around with the two-point options a bit, but was wondering if there is either a consensus or a clear set of tradeoffs for each option. And in general, I care less about optimizing for carrying/shooting with a heavy plate-laden vest or pack. More looking for quick sighting, and overall maneuverability of myself and my weapon.

Also (for bonus points), since I am left-handed and have one right-handed carbine, would the fact that I'd be shooting from my left shoulder but have to charge the carbine with a left-side lever affect the strap mounting point?

Thx,
B

sharxbyte
04-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Can't help with the lefty issue as my example is with an ambidextrous firearm (replica)

When me and the team I play with do Milsim events, I use a single point mounted near the butt of the stock. It works there. If there was a place to mount it, I'd mount the sling where the stock meets the receiver. you still have quick target acquisition, and your barrel isn't as close to the ground (especially when you are firing from a crouch, or running behind low barriers)

Just my experience, and some things to think about. On the range, it doesn't particularly matter. However you're comfortable.

zfields
04-14-2012, 12:12 PM
For single point, something right on the end of the lower, something like a SLAP plate, or any of the other single point mounts. single point on the buttstock and your muzzle is in the dirt.

Fate
04-14-2012, 2:42 PM
I've been meaning to solicit info and opinions from the experienced AR-informed crowd about recommended sling mount points on the AR. Seems like for a two-point sling there are a few options:
Forward mount:
Near muzzle end of forward hand grip or;
Near receiver end of forward hand grip.
Rear mount:

For a one-point sling either:
My preferences in bold. I don't like single point slings. Transitioning to pistol hurts my junk and trying to climb something or aid someone else with a single point sling just doesn't work in my experience.