PDA

View Full Version : Is the Spikes ST-T2 really all that and a bag of chips?

ThemBastards
04-13-2012, 4:52 PM
Great reviews everywhere on it, I am assuming some of the reviews have to do with full auto... Is this worth the price for semi-auto? I would like a quieter, smoother buffer with the added greatness of less muzzle rise and recoil... have you guys liked it? I am running a carbine gas system on 16" 7.62x39(not too much recoil but loud spring/buffer and mild muzzle rise)

.ps I already bought it anyway :43: In stock now at Riflegear

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-13-2012, 5:07 PM
I like mine. It came with my spikes upper. I really don't know any different. Although I shot a friends AR15 with the stock style buffer and his made that spring boing (sp?) sound, which mine does not.

ThemBastards
04-13-2012, 5:18 PM
I like mine. It came with my spikes upper. I really don't know any different. Although I shot a friends AR15 with the stock style buffer and his made that spring boing (sp?) sound, which mine does not.

The fact that the "spring boing" sound was foreign to you until you shot an AR without one is a good sign... Did your Spike's come with a special spring or anything? I know they sell a Tactical Buffer kit with a special spring and dry lube...

Thanks for the reply

Koolpsych
04-13-2012, 5:29 PM
To throw my 2 cents in, my AR originally was built with a RRA buffer kit that also had a slight "spring boing" sound. It honestly didn't bother me at all, but when I switched to a PWS comp. I decided to change out my buffer tube as well as I had read that the buffer tube can also influence felt recoil.

I've tried both the original RRA buffer and Spikes tactical st-t2 and didn't notice a significant difference in recoil, but I did notice that the boing sound was gone. Also, I did not purchase the Spikes tactical kit, only the st-t2 so I am still using the RRA buffer spring.

bigdawg86
04-13-2012, 5:35 PM
I have the ST-T2 on my Adams Arms Piston AR and it cycles beautifully... although I have only shot my gun so I don't have much to compare it to.

ExtremeX
04-13-2012, 5:38 PM
Ive never had any of my carbine buffers have a spring boing sound... Nor can I tell the difference between my standard buffer kit (Stag) and the ST-T2 kit installed on a separate upper. Both work, and work well, cant ask for much more.

I haven't tried playing around with different buffer weights to try and get it to shoot softer. You will see a bigger difference between a middy or carbine or simply just adding a muzzle break.

The only rifle I have that has a spring boing sound is a rifle length system with a rifle length buffer kit from RRA. It irritated me when I first heard it, but it works with zero issues or malfunctions. I just figured it was normal.

BigNick
04-13-2012, 5:40 PM
Be honest we just bought them because they were black and we liked the logo on them. Just kidding, I own two I really like them. Are they all that ad a bag of chips? i dont know I like them I think it make my rifle opperate smother, but that is my 2 cents.

The War Wagon
04-13-2012, 5:45 PM
I'd RATHER have the chips - I'd get MORE use out of them. :rolleyes:

And a regular H2 buffer.

Dhena81
04-13-2012, 6:01 PM
I have a regular H2 buffer spring combo and an AAC flash hider it has worked flawlessly for the last 5k rounds.

BUT it pongs from the spring and dings from the FH :eek::eek::eek:

McTerry
04-13-2012, 7:31 PM
The sound is the only real difference. I have one in mine and I like it, but I would never say that it reduces felt recoil or cycles any better than a standard H buffer.

The best thing about it is when your friend fires your AR and then looks at you with a frown because he can't quite figure out why your gun sounds so much more cleaner than his pos budget build, you can just smile and play it off as a major improvement that cost you hundreds of dollars.

jdewolf
04-13-2012, 7:37 PM
What's wrong with the spring noise? I'm running standard whatever spring and a carbine buffer. My AR made the noise until I did a very light coating of froglube along the spring and on the edges of the buffer. No more spring noise....

GettoPhilosopher
04-13-2012, 8:10 PM
I haven't tried playing around with different buffer weights to try and get it to shoot softer. You will see a bigger difference between a middy or carbine or simply just adding a muzzle break.

You cant beat a 16" "true" Dissy with an A2 stock and brake. :)

evolixsurf
04-13-2012, 8:26 PM
I bought mine for one reason, because the weight was right around medium-heavy without being too heavy. I mean, thats all that this thing does for you guys... Its been flawless for me with strictly 5.56 ammo but it will feed .223 fine.

RT13
04-13-2012, 8:27 PM
I love mine. I have one on my Middy BCM upper and it reduced felt recoil a little bit, but the twang is gone which really makes it worth it.

EvolutionGSR
04-13-2012, 8:31 PM
I like spring twang. It tells me when im out of ammo.

ACRfan
04-13-2012, 8:43 PM
Thanks OP for the post.. I just went and bought some more buffers from riflegear!! :)

seal20
04-13-2012, 9:43 PM
Mine works great on my 16" LMT, with full power 556 only. Causes fte with cheap stuff and I have to use the standard light carbine buffer.

Agent 0range
04-13-2012, 9:54 PM
Bought mine with the spring included. My mid-length upper, lower, and LPK are all Spikes, so it just seemed fitting to buy the buffer too. No complaints here!

ExtremeX
04-14-2012, 1:27 AM
Mine works great on my 16" LMT, with full power 556 only. Causes fte with cheap stuff and I have to use the standard light carbine buffer.

Wow, mine cycles anything and everything... Sure you don't have a slightly miss aligned gas block?

Are you running a mid length gas system?

At least switching buffers is a quick and painless process.

ThemBastards
04-14-2012, 6:34 AM
Thanks OP for the post.. I just went and bought some more buffers from riflegear!! :)

Letting you guys know was 80% of the reason for me posting... Like I said I had already bought it and read all of the glowing reviews on the interwebs... They just better get me mine before anybody else haha.

supersonic
04-14-2012, 6:51 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about them, but that's all I can interject because that is as far as my knowledge of the subject goes. But I do find myself saying "Who uses the phrase 'All that and a bag of chips'" even on a rare basis?!?:p

ThemBastards
04-14-2012, 6:55 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about them, but that's all I can interject because that is as far as my knowledge of the subject goes. But I do find myself saying "Who uses the phrase 'All that and a bag of chips'" even on a rare basis?!?:p

I'm bringing it back.... Haha no I have found that a thread with a little humor or intrigue in the title gets a lot more attention than a bland straight forward question... Marketing 101 my friend

Sonic_mike
04-14-2012, 6:56 AM
I like spring twang. It tells me when im out of ammo.

Ditto.

thenotoriousmo
04-14-2012, 7:51 AM
A quieter buffer??? I mean i know you can hear it cycle but the boom coming out of the other end usually is a little bit louder i think. But at roughly the same price as an H2 buffer i can see why it would be worth a shot to try out on a new build.

ThemBastards
04-14-2012, 8:50 AM
A quieter buffer??? I mean i know you can hear it cycle but the boom coming out of the other end usually is a little bit louder i think. But at roughly the same price as an H2 buffer i can see why it would be worth a shot to try out on a new build.

Nah the boom is several feet away but the spring is actually touching your face making it seem much louder- at least for me. Mine isn't nearly as bad as my buddies Colt Sporter but it is annoying. The spring sound also gets amplified with those electronic ear muffs that block out everything over 80(?) decibels but amplifies everything else- It's a small thing but it bugs me- if the ST T2 causes any reliability issues I will not hesitate to go back to the stock buffer.

supersonic
04-14-2012, 8:56 AM
I'm bringing it back.... Haha no I have found that a thread with a little humor or intrigue in the title gets a lot more attention than a bland straight forward question... Marketing 101 my friend

Just having a bit of fun with ya.' Busting Balls 101 mein freund.;) ......But really, WHO TF says that???:p