PDA

View Full Version : SUB 2000 FUD?

Jungleboxx
04-13-2012, 1:31 PM
I just spoke with someone at Sportsmens Supply and they said that the SUB 2000 is illegal in california. I told him I thought that if you put a bullet button on it or a wrap around the pistol grip it was then compliant. He said that modifying an "Assault weapon" to be CA legal was a big no no.

I've seen other members post these for sale and I was pretty sure if you put a bullet button on it your in the clear? Any one else have trouble purchasing one of these?

KandyRedCoi
04-13-2012, 1:36 PM
i believe u need a BB or kydex paddle PLUS the extra long butt pad to make its OAL legal per CA law

Turo
04-13-2012, 1:39 PM
The way you worded it could have been confusing. To first get a sub2000 in CA, and THEN put a bullet button or grip wrap on it would indeed be illegal, because you would be possessing an "assault weapon" before the BB or wrap was installed.

The act of "modifying" an illegal assault weapon is not in and of itself illegal, but the fact that you would be possessing an illegal assault weapon before and during the modifications would indeed be illegal.

If you purchase a sub2000 with a bullet button or grip wrap (and no other "evil features") already installed before it was a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine with "evil features" inside CA, then yes that would be perfectly legal to do.

It's a myriad of laws, and one small change in the wording can make the difference between law-abiding citizen and felon.

Jungleboxx
04-13-2012, 1:39 PM
Ah Yes you do need the butt pad to make it 30" I left that out, but other than that it should be fine. I've never heard of modifying an assault weapon to be CA legal is illegal.

Cause then all the AR's with BB would be modified correct?

Jungleboxx
04-13-2012, 1:41 PM
The way you worded it could have been confusing. To first get a sub2000 in CA, and THEN put a bullet button or grip wrap on it would indeed be illegal, because you would be possessing an "assault weapon" before the BB or wrap was installed.

The act of "modifying" an illegal assault weapon is not in and of itself illegal, but the fact that you would be possessing an illegal assault weapon before and during the modifications would indeed be illegal.

If you purchase a sub2000 with a bullet button or grip wrap (and no other "evil features") already installed before it was a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine with "evil features" inside CA, then yes that would be perfectly legal to do.

It's a myriad of laws, and one small change in the wording can make the difference between law-abiding citizen and felon.

This is what I was aware of, and he said if it's not a fixed magazine directly from the factory it's an assault weapon.

I'll try to be extra careful and explain I want to order one CA Compliant before it's even shipped.

Thanks guys

MrPlink
04-13-2012, 2:25 PM

this is true, but I have a hunch that the store clerk was not a law professor trying to give somebody a hard time for having their facts out of order

blakdawg
04-13-2012, 6:14 PM
Sportsmen's Supply is notorious for FUD, bad advice about CA gun laws, and fees in excess of what CA law allows. If you're trying to order an unusual item, I'd use a different FFL if I were you.

Jungleboxx
04-13-2012, 7:20 PM
Sportsmen's Supply is notorious for FUD, bad advice about CA gun laws, and fees in excess of what CA law allows. If you're trying to order an unusual item, I'd use a different FFL if I were you.

Good to know, I was on Lipseys site and it said that Sportsmens supply was one of their dealers so that's why I called sportsmens. Lipseys showed that they have sub 2000's in stock. I guess I'll try calling them directly and see if they will put the bullet button on.

In the case that they won't put the BB on, if anyone has ordered a SUB 2000 I would love if they could share their resources, I tried calling DD's Ranch and got no answer I will be trying them again on monday.

Thanks for everyones help