PDA

View Full Version : Scope for AZ Elk and Deer?

VFX_man
04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi again, have another scope usage question.

Currently have a 3-9X50mm scope on my .30-06 with my main target being wild boar in NorCal.

My Brother-in-law lives in Arizona and is trying to talk me into applying for Elk and Mule Deer tags in Southern AZ. He has a 600 yard range for sighting in his rifles [his wife took a Elk last year at 500+ yards]. Not sure what the Mule deer distances would be.

I know my current scope is not going to handle that distance. What would you recommend?

I see a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm out there - that's about the cost of a tax refund. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

[I'm former :facepalm: Iron sight - Missouri Ozarks' Whitetail hunter - so scopes are new to me :kest:]

-Cheers

husky44
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Your scope is fine but you'll need a little more gun for 500+yards..
Limit your shots to under 250 yards and 180 grain bullets in the odd-six..

Divernhunter
04-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I have shot game(pronghorns) at 500+yards with a Leupold 3X9X40 several times when it was all I could do. I prefer to get closer, especially with a 30-06. Your scope will be fine. Invest in some ammo and practice shooting out to 400yards or more and you will be good. I would try to keep shoots closer though.

CSACANNONEER
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
a 3-9x or 4-14x is perfect for hunting to around the 600 yard range. For BR shooting, I'd go up to a 40x but, not for hunting. 30-06 is also a decent choice for taking game out to 500 or 600 yards. While there may be better, there's definately a lot worse.

VFX_man
04-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the great advice! A couple of more Questions.

The Chabot Gun Club has a 200 yard range [if the Wild Turkey's will stay off it] . . . any longer ranges near the SF Bay Area?

Also, the .30-06 is a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe and I'm getting 1" BR groupings at 100 yards. Any idea how it does further out?

Cheers and Thanks again!

Rust
04-13-2012, 1:10 PM
Scope is fine, rifle is fine. I see from your post you've got hunting experience in the past so some of this is old news for you. I think you want a lower power scope for hunting so you can get a better field of view. It makes it much easier to pick up your target than a higher magnification. Lots of guys shoot 1000 yards on fixed 10x scopes. Buy or load some quality bullets, with a good BC and proven track record. Try them out, if they shoot well hunt with them. If you spend $50 on bullets it's a tiny fraction of the rest of the cost. Not the place to save a buck especially if you're shooting at distance.
Sac valley is your best bet if you want to try taking some shots out to 600. The range in Petaluma goes out to 300 but I think they want you to prove you can shoot accurately before using the longer ranges or be a member or something along those lines.
Your rifle will probably still hold minute of Elk vitals at 500 yards no problem. But remember shooting 1" off a bench at paper is a lot different than long range at an animal. You've hunted, you know this. Practice up a little before you go. If you can reliably put every round in the vitals at whatever range you think is the maximum you'll shoot at fine. Just don't take a shot you're not positive is going to kill what you're shooting at right there on the spot. Trying to track down something you gut shot 600 yards away is terribly uncool for both the animal and for your hunting buddy's who will likely never invite you again.

ElvenSoul
04-13-2012, 1:23 PM
Scope is fine, rifle is fine. I see from your post you've got hunting experience in the past so some of this is old news for you. I think you want a lower power scope for hunting so you can get a better field of view. It makes it much easier to pick up your target than a higher magnification. Lots of guys shoot 1000 yards on fixed 10x scopes. Buy or load some quality bullets, with a good BC and proven track record. Try them out, if they shoot well hunt with them. If you spend $50 on bullets it's a tiny fraction of the rest of the cost. Not the place to save a buck especially if you're shooting at distance.
Sac valley is your best bet if you want to try taking some shots out to 600. The range in Petaluma goes out to 300 but I think they want you to prove you can shoot accurately before using the longer ranges or be a member or something along those lines.
Your rifle will probably still hold minute of Elk vitals at 500 yards no problem. But remember shooting 1" off a bench at paper is a lot different than long range at an animal. You've hunted, you know this. Practice up a little before you go. If you can reliably put every round in the vitals at whatever range you think is the maximum you'll shoot at fine. Just don't take a shot you're not positive is going to kill what you're shooting at right there on the spot. Trying to track down something you gut shot 600 yards away is terribly uncool for both the animal and for your hunting buddy's who will likely never invite you again.

Yup I use a 1-4x type scope on my one of my boar guns. The other gun I use for boar just has a red dot.

jaybirdjtski
04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
The scope you have is fine. Run some numbers in any ballistics program (like on Hornady's website) and you'll immediately see that the problem isn't so much the actual range but determing what the range actually is.

A 180 grn 30 cal with a bc of .452 fired at 30/06 velocities of say 2700 fps, sighted in at 300 yards will print roughly 7 inches high at 200 yards but drop over 13" at 400, about 3 feet at 500 and 6 feet at 600. Add in a 10 mph crosswind.......you drift almost 2' at 500 yards. Are you and your rifle capable of sub MOA shooting? Can you estimate range within 25 yards?

Without dropping major $$ and time into a LR hunting rifle along with a laser rangefinder and developing sub-MOA loads and spending a few thousand bucks on a LR shooting class you'll risk wounding game. There is much more to successfully having one shot kills at 500-600 yards than buying a more powerful scope for a 30-06.
If you absolutely knew the exact range to your target you could hunt with a 45-70 Sharps or an accurate milsurp and iron sights.

Keep the scope and buy a really pricey laser rangefinder if nothing else. The cheap ones don't work at distance. And the cheap ones aren't all that cheap. Better still, sight in at 250 yards (about 3" high at 100) and don't take any shots over 300! Hunting ethics demand not shooting unless you are sure you won't wound the game.

VFX_man
04-16-2012, 7:39 AM
Thank You everyone! Some more great advice. A single clean shot is my goal and this tells me what I need to do and focus on.

Cheers!

Aeonstar
04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
you have a long wait for Az elk tags. You just missed the drawing for this year so you will have to wait till next year to start getting bonus points :) get in line like the rest of us. :)

VFX_man
04-17-2012, 9:42 AM
you have a long wait for Az elk tags. You just missed the drawing for this year so you will have to wait till next year to start getting bonus points :) get in line like the rest of us. :)

Got a little spooked at the out of state prices (still pretty cheap I guess). Decided to apply for the mule deer tag this year and check out the lay of the land. My brother in law (the AZ resident) just had the charge hit his credit card . . . Not sure if he, his wife or son(s) got the Elk tag.

Did not know how the bonus point system worked, my luck . . . I would have got a tag :) just because I was not ready!

Cheers!

BayouBullets
04-17-2012, 7:48 PM
Personally, I prefer a 300 win mag for big game at that distance. Same bullet, just more energy. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about the scope or rifle. Both are adequate (especially with hotter loads). 8x is good enough for 600 yards on larger big game. The real issue will be determining range. Invest in a good range finder or limit your hunting to areas where you have already scouted and determined (or even created) distance markers. If you can spare the coin, getting a 2.5-10 or a 4-12 with a BDC reticle would make hold-over a lot easier once you figure out the distance. Nikon's Monarch is superb in that price range and I wouldn't hesitate to to take a broadside shot even on a whitetail at 500-600 with one IF I had a stable rest. Remember, horizontal hold against windage is not quite as crucial as compensating for drop. Just make sure your margin of error starts from the front torso at the lungs instead of back at the heart. Nothing worse than tracking a gut-shot quadruped.

ubet
04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Im just gonna say it, dont be lazy, get in as close as you can. If you MUST take a long shot, only take it if you are 150%sure you can make the shot. Its not so much about the caliber, as its about shot placement. If you reload tailor a round to your gun, get it around .5moa. 1 moa is to much for any distance, add in stress, fatigue, varying wind, shooting something other than a static target (something you might have to track for miles), not always have the best of clear shot etc, that 1moa is really going to open up.

Your optics are fine, as long as they will allow you to dial enough elevation and are reliable.