PDA

View Full Version : Is the GSG-5 a good first .22?

lilro
04-13-2012, 11:22 AM
I've been looking into getting a .22 the past couple weeks, and I really like the MP5 look of the GSG. I don't own any .22s yet, so would this be a good choice? Or should I go with the classic 10/22

EdinKali
04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I would pick the HK MP5 in 22LR instead. Quality is a bit better and looks more like a real mp5. Compare the two side by side if you can. You will notice the differences.

http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=mp5-a5

chucksolo69
04-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I have a a pre-lawsuit GSG-5 and it is a very reliable and accurate rifle.

tempdrummer
04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
10/22 is a better overall rifle however to me I just have way more fun with the GSG. I'd probably grab one of the new HK marked MP5 .22's over the GSG if I were to buy one today. I don't like the GSG-522 that they sell now. Although you can buy the conversion kit for it for $50 and make it look like the original GSG-5 as well.

ac427cpe
04-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I have one of the HK/Walther/Umarex mp5's, it is one of my favorite guns. Fit and finish are great, it has proven to be very reliable and plenty accurate. Side by side next to a friend's pre-lawsuit GSG I would still pick the one I have every time.

joefreas
04-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I have the early GSG and a few 10/22s. They both shoot great. There are many optional accessories for both guns but the 10/22 has more competition accessories available.

stix213
04-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I have a gen2 GSG-5, in my opinion its a lemon. Something breaks on it every time I shoot it. I've had to do several mods to the gun just to get it to cycle correctly. Last thing that broke was the weak MIM charging handle, and after I fixed that now the hammer gets stuck and won't drop internal to the lower (that they say there is no need to open for maintenance, a load of crap). The GSG-5 is a pretty sweet looking POS in my opinion.

mbaran
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
my gsg-522 was a terrible gun for the first 700rd or so. Finally after the 3rd stripping and cleaning it came into it's own and is now a fine gun.

that said, if I had to do it all over again, I would get a 10/22.

ejhc11
04-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Go 10/22
Why: Its a rifle - not a replica of something else

Want tactical rimfire, go dedicated AR 22LR upper and true AR15 lower, its not just for looks.
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/AR15/AR15A2LR.jpg

Gatotsu77
04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I own the HK Umarex MP5, but I do not own the GSG-5. Based on everythingI read, the HK Umarex is the superior firearm. I went to my LGS (Turner's) and held both... There was no competition for me, the HK was the one I wanted. As others have said, the fit and finish is nicer, and the weapon feels much more solid. First range trip, I shot 650 rounds of mini-mags and bulk ammo without a single hiccup. Phenomenal little firearm.

chucksolo69
04-13-2012, 2:21 PM
I have owned 2 Ruger 10/22 rifles. I sold them both. Why? It is the most BORING rifle I have ever shot. No pizzaz at all. I love firing my "black rifle" .22s. There's just something about the feel of them that I like.

lilro
04-13-2012, 2:27 PM
Go 10/22
Why: Its a rifle - not a replica of something else

Want tactical rimfire, go dedicated AR 22LR upper and true AR15 lower, its not just for looks.
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/AR15/AR15A2LR.jpg

I just got an AR in Feb so I'd rather not buy another gun that looks the same so soon..Maybe in the future though. I really like the look of the MP5 and I'll never get the real one so...And the 10/22 is a classic so I want that too...Maybe I should just save longer and buy both :)

CSACANNONEER
04-13-2012, 2:28 PM
I have an early GSG, a few 10-22s and many other .22lr rifles. I would recommend against gettting a GSG as a first .22lr. It's not the cheapest and probably not built as reliable as a 10-22 or most bolt action guns. It's a fun gun but, for a first gun, get a 10-22 or a good bolt action .22lr. Don't be fooled by what chucksolo69 said, ALL .22lrs are fun to shoot unless you're a mall ninja that is into form over function.

DinoPJR
04-13-2012, 4:05 PM
I have a marlin 795 and a gsg5. I paid 150 or so for the Marlin and it is actually more reliable than the gsg5. Gsg5 looks sick though!

Steve G
04-13-2012, 4:26 PM
I have a gen2 GSG-5, in my opinion its a lemon. Something breaks on it every time I shoot it. I've had to do several mods to the gun just to get it to cycle correctly. Last thing that broke was the weak MIM charging handle, and after I fixed that now the hammer gets stuck and won't drop internal to the lower (that they say there is no need to open for maintenance, a load of crap). The GSG-5 is a pretty sweet looking POS in my opinion.

I agree 100%. If you like to work and disassemble your weapons (further than a field strip) then this gun is good to go. It's a PITA to clean and keep changing parts but in the end it's a fun gun. Oh BTW mine has probably 15k rounds thru it. My 10/22 has 50k rounds thru the gun, never breaks and the only parts that have been changed are for custom parts. 10/22 is much more accurate too! I would not buy any sort of GSG branded gun again they are crap.

Steve G
04-13-2012, 4:28 PM
I own the HK Umarex MP5, but I do not own the GSG-5. Based on everythingI read, the HK Umarex is the superior firearm. I went to my LGS (Turner's) and held both... There was no competition for me, the HK was the one I wanted. As others have said, the fit and finish is nicer, and the weapon feels much more solid. First range trip, I shot 650 rounds of mini-mags and bulk ammo without a single hiccup. Phenomenal little firearm.

Internally they are identical. Just wait till everything starts getting loose. Let us know after a few more bricks of ammo.

InGrAM
04-13-2012, 5:04 PM
I have an early GSG-5SD, great gun, period.... It has never been field stripped and cleaned. I simply bore snake and tooth brush the bolt head with hoppe's :D. It also has thousands of rounds down the pipe and has been running strong for me for awhile now. It has only been ammo picky with old CCI's but nothing a good brass rod couldn't handle.

10/22's are boring, IMO. Even with those stupid shells people make for them. And yes, I own one. My GSG has been just as reliable as my 10/22 and feel's/looks 10x's better.

Good luck.

stix213
04-13-2012, 5:14 PM
I agree 100%. If you like to work and disassemble your weapons (further than a field strip) then this gun is good to go. It's a PITA to clean and keep changing parts but in the end it's a fun gun. Oh BTW mine has probably 15k rounds thru it. My 10/22 has 50k rounds thru the gun, never breaks and the only parts that have been changed are for custom parts. 10/22 is much more accurate too! I would not buy any sort of GSG branded gun again they are crap.

Yes even when my GSG-5 was working more or less right, I had to DETAIL strip and clean the upper half between every range trip to keep it running.

Also agree, yes its a very fun gun when it shoots, and its also pretty darn accurate in its own right (usually with a wannabe sub gun you aren't going out very long range though).

Longhill
04-13-2012, 6:56 PM
(I agree 100%. If you like to work and disassemble your weapons (further than a field strip) then this gun is good to go. It's a PITA to clean and keep changing parts but in the end it's a fun gun.)

Just remember to use blue locktite on all the screws, they have a habit of backing out after a brick of ammo and jamming the gun.

chucksolo69
04-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I have a couple of thousand rounds through my GSG-5 and it is extremely accurate. I put a Leapers 4x RGB tactical scope on it and it is pretty much a tack driver. I like the look of a scoped MP5 too. I must be lucky because all the screws in my gun have held tight. Mine just doesn't jam. I have used all kinds of ammo through it. The only one it didn't like was Remington yellow bullet.

gunnlover
04-14-2012, 8:08 AM
Simply put....no

DTS
04-14-2012, 8:21 AM
owned one and sold it...

Fun to shoot, cheap ammo, but if you are buying the GSG522, be sure to upgarde all the screws that way it wont jam like all these other calgunners mentioned

davek8s
04-14-2012, 12:39 PM
I sold my gsg5. I just wasn't wild about it. I like my S&W15/22 better for tacticool shooting and my 10/22 for plinking.

I say 10/22 is my over all choice. Then either a Sig522 or 15/22.

humchris85
04-14-2012, 9:49 PM
I say get the 10/22. I love mine. It's a fantastic plinker.

PoorRichRichard
04-17-2012, 8:32 AM
The GSG-5 or GSG-522 are great guns, but NOT a good gun or a first rifle purchase- speaking directly from personal experience. They just require a lot of upkeep/cleaning. I love mine and all the tactacool aftermarket parts I have for it, but it was a hell of a steep learning curve for a first 22. If you buy one, the Internet and locktight will be your 2 best friends. Also don't hesitate to call ATI directly with questions. Sometimes they can be a reall PITA to get a hold of, but overall they are very helpful and knowledgable.

Go with the Marlin 795 for a first 22 pinker. I personally think the are much better gun outta the box than a 10/22. They just feel better in my hands. I think it may have something to do with the shape of the stock.

sholling
04-17-2012, 9:57 AM
I've been looking into getting a .22 the past couple weeks, and I really like the MP5 look of the GSG. I don't own any .22s yet, so would this be a good choice? Or should I go with the classic 10/22
Honestly the GSG wouldn't be my first choice but it all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you just want a tacticool plinker the GSG will do the job. But to me (as Townsend Whelen said) "only accurate rifles are interesting" and I'd rather challenge myself to make teeny-tiny one-hole groups than blast away at soda cans. A 10/22 is moderately accurate (2-3 MOA) out of the box and is a fun plinker that can be turned into a tack driver with money and work. My suggestion is either a wood stock (for rigidity) 10/22 with Tech-Sights (http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm) or a CZ455 American (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_63_972/products_id/62353) in 22LR with a great scope for a first 22.

http://www.cz-usa.com/assets/cache/1a/b8/1ab826199a69ea182a3e2b08089e7f8d.png

Hammertime
05-24-2012, 10:56 PM
First choice? 10/22. They are nothing but upgradeable, reliable, and you can find parts for it at Chevron stations (you get my point).

GSG-5...Just got a 1st gen off of a fellow calgunner, and I am highly impressed. The reason I got this instead of a cheaper 10/22 is that I would have dropped a grand into the Ruger, and the GSG doesn't have too many upgrades. This was a decision based upon knowledge of my own buying habits and I am actually very glad I went with this thing. I would have ended up spending another $2-300 on an aftermarket tacticool stock (just because I can :D ), and then more on trigger groups, optics, etc...

I got mine for $390 with the screw upgrades, push pins, fiber optic front site, threw a Bushnell 1.5-6 XLT/PEPR mount on it (looks ridiculous, but can swat a fly's dick off at 50 yards bruahhaha), and it is definitely a shooter.

I recommend this rifle if you have problems keeping things stock, if you want a reliable sexy looking shooter, or if you don't want to spend extra doing your own gig. I'll probably pick a 10/22 up in the future to have alongside this one, but in the meantime, this will do just fine.

Cheers.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/thorthemighty/_MG_0982.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/thorthemighty/_MG_0983.jpg
Side note...you can still use iron sights through the PEPR mount. It clears ALL of the upper portions of the rifle, while allowing a decent sized (12") scope to be mounted. I chose the 1.5-6x because 1.5 is great for short range plinking, and I was out to 50yd with ease, drawing faces on cardboard!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/thorthemighty/_MG_0984.jpg
Also looks good with CZ's :D

Hope you get a good one. This one performed well. One of the 4 mags I got had the smallest chunk of plastic missing on the feed lip and it failed to feed every round. The other 3 mags did good. I was using CCI mini mags and found that rapid fire was no problem for PERFECT mags. If you are using this for a SHTF rifle, simply don't...get a 10/22.

Cheers

HT

mossy
05-24-2012, 11:14 PM
go with the 10/22 it was built as a rifle, the GSG is a clone built for fun. if you want you can dress it up in a black tactical stock or keep it classic. no matter what you do, it will be dead accurate and a joy to shoot. here is mine i have a good reddot sight and a butler creek folding stock on mine. i added a heat shield also, i think it was made by ramline, it was a pain to put on though but worth it.
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc386/mossyman2/IMG_3924.jpg

JAGACIDA
05-25-2012, 2:09 PM
I have an early GSG, a few 10-22s and many other .22lr rifles. I would recommend against gettting a GSG as a first .22lr. It's not the cheapest and probably not built as reliable as a 10-22 or most bolt action guns. It's a fun gun but, for a first gun, get a 10-22 or a good bolt action .22lr. Don't be fooled by what chucksolo69 said, ALL .22lrs are fun to shoot unless you're a mall ninja that is into form over function.

I have to second the opinion on a good bolt action for starters. You can only learn good habits from a bolt gun, the most worthy being, making every shot count. Then go ahead and get a spray gun.

Shark06
05-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I love all the "my MP5 is better than yours" comments. I'm sure the Umarex is a fine rifle, but I serious doubt it "better." How much superior is something that costs upwards of 37% more?? I mean, it's a 22 plinker! Next thing you know sheeple will be arguing about which airsoft MP5 is better. That being said I compete with my GSG5-SD in steel matches and love it. And if that's not enough I'm getting the Umarex HK416D. It'll sit next to my HK45c, the "real" HK. :)

Solidux
05-28-2012, 1:00 AM
Theres a post right now on the pistol forums about gsg 1911s made from pot metal with the slide breaking off consistently. Minor injuries + paperweight gun as the result.

Hammertime
05-28-2012, 9:38 AM
^^ Oh shoot, I thought this thread was about the GSG-5....oopse.

james758
05-28-2012, 5:31 PM
Those MP5 22 clones are such mall ninja guns.
If you want a "starter" 22, get a 10/22, but my experience has always been that you get a "starter" gun for $250-300 and later you will drop $450-500 on something like a Sig 522 so you should just go ahead and get the Sig 522 and save yourself the $250 that you would have spent on the 10/22 in the first place.
The Sig 522 is more accurate than the GSG/URamax, the mags are a lot cheaper and more plentiful for the Sig 522 and its lighter.
But if you want something that "looks" like an MP5, than knock yourself out and get one. I spent 6 years of my youth defending your right to buy whatever you want.

But to answer the question "would this be a good choice?" ..... Um, No.

wellfedirishman
05-29-2012, 6:12 PM
The original GSGs (I have a Gen 2) are very reliable guns, in my experience. I know that other folks have had problems, but my Gen 2 has several thousand rounds through it and shoots great. It almost never jams or fails.

I have a GSG AK47 22LR also and it is another very reliable gun. 1000 rounds through it without a single failure that wasn't due to ammo (verified with a second strike).

The downside of the GSG 22s is that the barrel is somewhat thin so it can be less accurate as it heats up. It is not a target rifle, but it is still minute of soda can or spinner target at 50 yards (i.e., a fun plinker).

busta00
05-30-2012, 6:53 AM
Fired my GSG on Friday for the first time. 200+ rounds through and and no problems. CCI blazer, federal bulk,winchester bulk CCi velocitor, remington golden boy and even a clip of subsonic. Is more plastic feeling than the HK.
Only issue i have is my grip has just a bit of slop to it. It slides about a 1/16 of an inch.

MadMax
05-30-2012, 8:28 AM
Just get both your going to eventually anyway:)
If u can't I would get the 10-22 first then the gsg and when u do get a used first gen gsg.
I have both and have no problems with either and like them both. My 10-22 is fully accurised and the gsg has been upgraded a bit. My 10-22 is my favorite 22 rifle though I have to say.

bonesurf
06-08-2012, 2:12 PM
Own both. Love both. Have the first gen gsg. But as a first....a 10/22 seems.....almost mandatory

gunnlover
06-08-2012, 2:40 PM
Garbage. Get something that will last. MP15-22 FTW

s2000ap2
06-08-2012, 7:07 PM
My first .22 is the 1st gen GSG-5,
CONS: broke the charging handle once, replace it for $4 + $10 shipping, some screw on the blot need to be change, add few nut to the screw then make the blot more solid , you can get in any hardware store for few $buck. one more bad thing is , I paid $600 without magazine when they first came out, now the price drop below $400. before I brought 1 magazine for $50, now only $20 ...T^T...

PROS: no problem with rapid fire dump 7 full hi-cap mag without a jam, great gun fun to shoot, I dont really clean this gun, most of the time I just lube it before going to shoot. smooth and light 4lbs factory trigger ( must better than H&K Umarex MP5), I feed bulk pack federal ammo without any problems, Magazine easy to load, parts is cheap to get from ATI or aftermarket, 522 conversion kit on ebay for $40 include all the things u need ( 3 charging handle include, I dont mind to break it again :D ) magazine are very cheap now, aftermarket ProMag make good mags for this gun. Tons of parts to make it looks very cool .

My 2nd .22 is the S&W M&P15-22
good gun overall, stock trigger not very good for me, 2lbs trigger job by replaced with RRA 2 stage trigger + JP trigger spring, fit most standard AR-15 parts, trigger/pins/grips/selector, better than Colt/HK Umarex that not interchangeable. Magazine are cheap, less than $20 each, easy to load mags
I used it to bump fire :)

3rd is the GSG-1911
one of the best .22 handgun I ever shoot, great weight and fit just like real 1911, not small like P22 or Sig Mosquito, 80% parts can be used from real 1911, nice creep free trigger, fire cheap federal bulk pack or no matter what it just works. magazine are little bit expensive, about $30~36 each, metal magazine body with easy to loose plastic floor plate, I wish they make some better floor plate.

I dont have any 10/22, I always think to get one but the parts that I will put on is more expensive than the gun itself...so just thinking & thinking, maybe later :)
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s495/s2000ap2/Gun/IMG_1492.jpg?t=1339205481

Steve G
06-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Quick update:

Tired of working on the GSG myself after EVERY range trip. If I didn't completely strip the gun and replace a few parts the gun would be a useless jam machine. I shouldn't have to change parts after every 4-500 rounds. This week I got sick of the BS and it got boxed up and shipped back to the factory. Hopefully they will be able to make it run reliably again. It was fun in the beginning but has become a big hassle, the only gun to consistently malfunction at the range IS the GSG. It went from being one of the most fun plinkers, to one of the biggest POS.

Full Clip
06-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I just got an AR in Feb so I'd rather not buy another gun that looks the same so soon..Maybe in the future though. I really like the look of the MP5 and I'll never get the real one so...And the 10/22 is a classic so I want that too...Maybe I should just save longer and buy both :)

Why not just get a .22 dedicated upper for your AR lower...?
Other than that, I'd go for the 10/22. I'm looking to buy one myself...

cfusionpm
06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Mine jams a lot. I know no details about it other than I bought it from a fellow calgunner with 2 mags and a cheap red dot for about $400 about 8 or 9 months ago.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's fun and I love shooting it, but if you don't deep clean it often, it jams.... a LOT. I just expect it to be unreliable and live with it, because stripping is a monumental pain in the butt (at least compared to everything else I've owned). I love the "MP5" enough to put up with that though.