PDA

View Full Version : Professor fired for taking pro-gun side in class

Matt C
04-23-2007, 10:15 AM
The Media side:
BOSTON - An adjunct professor was fired after leading a classroom discussion about the Virginia Tech shootings in which he pointed a marker at some students and said "pow."

The five-minute demonstration at Emmanuel College on Wednesday, two days after a student killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus, included a discussion of gun control, whether to respond to violence with violence, and the public's "celebration of victimhood," said the professor, Nicholas Winset.

During the demonstration, Winset pretended to shoot some students. Then one student pretended to shoot Winset to illustrate his point that the gunman might have been stopped had another student or faculty member been armed.

"A classroom is supposed to be a place for academic exploration," Winset, who taught financial accounting, told the Boston Herald.

He said administrators had asked the faculty to engage students on the issue. But on Friday, he got a letter saying he was fired and ordering him to stay off campus.

Winset, 37, argued that the Catholic liberal arts school was stifling free discussion by firing him, and he said the move would have a "chilling effect" on open debate. He posted an 18-minute video on the online site YouTube defending his action.

The college issued a statement saying: "Emmanuel College has clear standards of classroom and campus conduct, and does not in any way condone the use of discriminatory or obscene language."

Student Junny Lee, 19, told The Boston Globe that most students didn't appear to find Winset's demonstration offensive.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070423/ap_on_re_us/professor_fired

How much to you want to bet that if he had been screaming for a new gun ban he would still have a job? Here is a link to his side of the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-cBKXyRvyM

MrTuffPaws
04-23-2007, 10:19 AM
What the hell is a "Catholic liberal arts school"?

Being Catholic, it is considered private. They can fire him for what ever reason they see fit. Sad but true.

pewpewguns
04-23-2007, 10:23 AM
One of my professors explained to the class why "gun free zones" are dangerous the day after the VT shooting happened. Seems to me that teachers should be able to express their beliefs and opinions to other adults without fear of being fired.

proraptor
04-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Wow thats ridiculous....Ill have to watch the you tube when I get home....

kap
04-23-2007, 11:04 AM
If this guy was fired for his pro-gun view I certainly disagree with that decision, but I have to say those videos are painful to watch as the guy is not very articulate for a college professor and they are poorly executed for someone who is a self-proclaimed showman. He is certainly not helping his case with his wussy and disjunct presentation of the facts. A little preparation for those videos could have gone a long way.

Sam Hainn
04-23-2007, 11:19 AM
It is my understanding he did not have a full pro-gun view nor fully support CCW but that there were problems with how he presented it - 'shooting' students. it is unavoidable discussing the march to be a victim aspect in any discussion on the Virginia Tech tragedy but I don't think this guy was all pro-carry.

chiefcrash
04-23-2007, 11:23 AM
They fired this guy because he pretended to shoot people with his marker to make a point?

what the hell is next?

Tonight, on Fox News! Two first graders were charged with a felony after playing a dangerous game called "Cops and Robbers." More details at 11!

WokMaster1
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Liberal Catholic?:rolleyes:

Librarian
04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
What the hell is a "Catholic liberal arts school"?Pretty much all of the colleges/universities run by Catholic religious orders qualify - USF, Santa Clara, Loyola (of Los Angeles) are the quick California examples. Contrast with 'technical schools', I guess.

Being Catholic, it is considered private. They can fire him for what ever reason they see fit. Sad but true.Yes. However, the fired professor calls into question whether the college followed its own procedures to do that; there might be some kind of recourse, but it won't include a job there again.

Since he wasn't tenured, he probably was on year-to-year; the college could have saved a lot of grief by simply not renewing his contract for next school year. No explanations necessary for that. I guess Someone Was Irritated and Did Something Rash.

MIKEUSMC2005
04-23-2007, 2:40 PM
I have an explaination why he was fired.

He was fired because, as he pointed the marker at the student, the marker cap flew off hitting a student in the forehead. The student is now suing the school for pain and mental anguish. He He

Parent should be upset for not allowing thought process between teacher and student.

LECTRIKHED
04-23-2007, 2:44 PM
I would have been very pissed off if some professor was pretending to shoot students right after a massacre. I think that why he was fired, not his pro gun views. This is not the type of person we want on our side. He sounds like an idiot.

Pretending to shoot students after a school massacre is in bad taste.

He could have also done other stupid things, and this was the last straw for the University. Maybe we should not jump to conclusions, and protect a moron.

Matt C
04-23-2007, 3:06 PM
I would have been very pissed off if some professor was pretending to shoot students right after a massacre. I think that why he was fired, not his pro gun views. This is not the type of person we want on our side. He sounds like an idiot.

He was demonstrating how if one student was armed and attacking other students one armed student or faculty member could end the rampage with a CCW.

bonjing
04-23-2007, 5:15 PM
Tonight, on Fox News! Two first graders were charged with a felony after playing a dangerous game called "Cops and Robbers." More details at 11!

not sure if it's a felony yet, but i thought kids weren't allowed to play violent, type games in schools anymore. :confused:

CalNRA
04-23-2007, 6:47 PM

special guest tonight will be Geraldo Rivera talking with us on what went wrong on the part of the parents adn media, followed by a message from your dearly beloved Senator, Diane Feinstein on ethics.