PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 Action

ExtremeX
04-12-2012, 5:46 PM
Ive been looking at various Remmy 700 models in .308 and was wondering if they all share the exact same action.

I wasn't sure if Remington improved or tuned up some of the actions on various R700 variants with a higher cost...

SPS Series
XCR Series
VTR Series
Stainless Variants of the above.

I know the 5R has a jeweled bolt, but has anything else been improved over and above the standard SPS Tactical?

I'm looking for a good core to build off, or is a SPS Tactical or Varmint as good as it gets?

thenotoriousmo
04-12-2012, 6:10 PM
why not just get a stiller or a surgeon if you are just going to buy a new rifle just to throw everything away except the action?

unless you are getting it used. than get the cheapest one that isn't rusted. the action will be getting machined in the truing process anyways so the one with the better factory tolerance will be just as good as the one with the looser one when it is done.

but from my understanding is that they are all the same action with different trigger/barrel/stock options within each series. the only ones that get the special attention are the custom shop jobs. someone correct me if i am wrong though

Doctawho
04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Or you can get a Remington 700 short action from Brownells for $350.

Ding126
04-13-2012, 9:55 AM
Here is an interesting site for bolt action builds. Looks like they offer everything except the action.

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/remingtonperf.htm

To answer your original question, I would think all 700's are the same action pattern except for the base metal and barrel config. It might be best to call Remington and once you get your answer..call back and ask the same question..to see if you get the same info.

A local precision shop rates are barrel change out starts at 300.00 truing the receiver 100.00, threading barrel for a comp and re crowning 100.00...Your gonna pay more for a stock and optics in most cases

Also Snipershide is a good site to look into.

Good Luck