PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 5r vs xcr tactical

alex.wu1
04-12-2012, 3:46 PM
so... im considering these two rifles and i cant seem to find enough information online. id like to know more about the 5r milspec since its not listed on the remington website. any help would be appreciated.
so far my research tells me:

remington 700 5r milspec
-24-26inch barrel
-SS
-more accurate out of the box
-8.25lbs
-free floating (not sure) bedded on glass? alum?

remington 700 xcr tactical
-26in barrel
-SS painted black
-has a nice notch in the butt stock
-8.5lbs
-free floating bedded on alum.
-fluted barrel

i like the stock on the xcr, the black barrel, and the fluting. but if the 5r truely outperforms the xcr out of the box then i rather get the 5r.
does the fluting of the barrel really make a big difference?

please tell me all you know about these two rifles!! thanks! :oji:
side note, im getting this rifle for elk and boar, and maybe deer...although its overkill for deer but theres a lot of boar where i live. although i dont think there are many over 150lbs i rather have a larger round that can handle a 200lb boar with ease.

Untamed1972
04-12-2012, 4:00 PM
5r is free floating. and I'm 95% sure it has a machined alum. bedding moulded into the stock. didn't get much sleep last night, so im not firin' on all cylinders at the moment.

8.25lbs must be w/o optics, cuz mine weighs in right at 12lbs. Humped it around for several days during deer season last year when I was in places where longer shots might be possible. Lemme tell yuh what.....luggin' it around in the brush and over hill and dale all day got to be a less than pleasant experience. When I later started hunting in some tighter areas where shots would be limited to shorter ranges I switched over to my AR which is much more pleasant to carry around all day.

If you were gonna be doing short hikes to a stand where you'd set up and sit, prolly would be ok tho.

But it's a nice rifle to shoot. Very nice, crisp trigger, the extra weight nicely dampens the recoil. WAY less felt recoil then say my Dad's 30-30 lever gun. for me personally I dont care for the grip area of the stock. To get the right hand position behind the trigger my pinky ends up "free floating" in the air, and I dont care for the fat palm swells in the grip area either.

But on a bi-pod or laid over a pack it's a tack driver. I was able to hit targets just past 600yds in a precision rifle class I took awhile back. I will put it this way.....the rifle can shoot WAY better than my skills right now, but it's nice to know I have room to grow into with my skills as time permits.

alex.wu1
04-12-2012, 4:13 PM
5r is free floating. and I'm 95% sure it has a machined alum. bedding moulded into the stock. didn't get much sleep last night, so im not firin' on all cylinders at the moment.

awesome thanks for the info!

8.25lbs must be w/o optics, cuz mine weighs in right at 12lbs.

rgr that, it is just the rifle alone.

im hoping i'll be ok with the weight, i know its a bit on the heavier side. hopefully my experience carrying a M60 for an entire week in the field has toughened me up where 12lbs wont seem too unbearable

thenotoriousmo
04-12-2012, 6:09 PM
with the two i would pick the xcr. as it has the 40x trigger in it which is a huge plus over the x-mark crap. and for some reason i prefer the B&C stock that is on the xcr compared to the HS precision that the 5r has. but that's just my opinion.

Untamed1972
04-12-2012, 6:46 PM
awesome thanks for the info!

rgr that, it is just the rifle alone.

im hoping i'll be ok with the weight, i know its a bit on the heavier side. hopefully my experience carrying a M60 for an entire week in the field has toughened me up where 12lbs wont seem too unbearable

Obviously it's not intended as a hunting rifle, and thats not why I bought mine. I just used it last season cuz it was what I had. Because of the weight I wouldn't consider it a fast target aquisition off-hand rifle for engaging game at closer range or on the move, but I'm basing that off my skill an bad support hand shoulder. If you put a lower power optic on it more suitable for hunting vs. something more suited for precision rifle work then you're prolly handicapping it's true potential, it really is easily a sub-MOA rifle in skilled hands.

If your main intended purpose for it is a hunting rifle it really prolly is overkill. But that's just my 2cents.

alex.wu1
04-13-2012, 8:30 AM
Obviously it's not intended as a hunting rifle, and thats not why I bought mine. I just used it last season cuz it was what I had. Because of the weight I wouldn't consider it a fast target aquisition off-hand rifle for engaging game at closer range or on the move, but I'm basing that off my skill an bad support hand shoulder. If you put a lower power optic on it more suitable for hunting vs. something more suited for precision rifle work then you're prolly handicapping it's true potential, it really is easily a sub-MOA rifle in skilled hands.

If your main intended purpose for it is a hunting rifle it really prolly is overkill. But that's just my 2cents.

Do you mean the rifle itself is too heavy to be a hunting rifle or with a scope at 12lbs is too heavy? i just looked at the scope and rifle together ive calculated to be 9.7 lbs (leupold mark 4). and your right, it is overkill for whitetail and small boar. but ive heard itd be suitable for elk and large boar. with that in mind i may get a 308 instead, but mainly im more concerned about which rifle to pick; xcr vs 5r. your 2cents is greatly appreciated!

alex.wu1
04-13-2012, 8:34 AM
with the two i would pick the xcr. as it has the 40x trigger in it which is a huge plus over the x-mark crap. and for some reason i prefer the B&C stock that is on the xcr compared to the HS precision that the 5r has. but that's just my opinion.

i agree about the stock, i do like the B&C stock too. i didnt know about the trigger, i thought both rifles had the same xmark trigger, thanks for the info!

Sicarius
04-13-2012, 9:52 AM
My friend's 5r, all factory with a SWFA HD 5-20x50 with factory match ammo 5 round group. This is his first precision rifle and maybe 100 rounds behind it.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/Sicarius_428/Bang/2011-10-02_12-16-35_282.jpg
Kevin

Untamed1972
04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Do you mean the rifle itself is too heavy to be a hunting rifle or with a scope at 12lbs is too heavy? i just looked at the scope and rifle together ive calculated to be 9.7 lbs (leupold mark 4). and your right, it is overkill for whitetail and small boar. but ive heard itd be suitable for elk and large boar. with that in mind i may get a 308 instead, but mainly im more concerned about which rifle to pick; xcr vs 5r. your 2cents is greatly appreciated!

I've put mine on a scale, although it did have a bi-pod attached at the time too, but it's not under 10lbs, and I have the same scope you listed above.

When I said overkill, I wasn't talking caliber. I meant in terms of a hunting rifle, a more expensive, heavy barreled rifle, sub-MOA rifle is overkill. Plus the narrow FOV on the Mark-4 makes anything under 100yds difficult when it comes to fast target aqusition.

And yes....I think the weight would be a factor also. If your main intended purpose for it is as a hunting rifle you'd prolly be better off with just a standard model R-700. That's just my personal opinion after spending several days in the field with an 5r. Remember one of the purpose of a heavy barrel is heat absorption to maintain accuracy for repeated follow-up shots in a short period of time. With a hunting rifle, you're gonna take one-shot, maybe two if you need a follow-up and can actually get another one off.

If I was hunting somewhere, where I could set-up in a stand or blind that had a stable shooting platform of some kind and would be likely taking shots at 200yds plus, I'd use it in a heartbeat. But for spot and stalk, or shorter range or fast off-hand engagement, you gonna want something lighter with a lower power optic.

I just think for the set-up you're talking about, you're gonna drop a fair chunk of change (I bought mine used from a Calgunner here with 200rds thru it, so I know what they go for) for something that really is not best suited for what you wanna use it for, and may at times actually work against you in the field.

saki302
04-13-2012, 2:18 PM
My 5r is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot.

On a windless day, it will stack holes on top of one another at 100 yards with Federal Gold Match, and that was before Randy at R&D trued the action and re-headspaced it for me (difference is, now I don't have to full length size cases anymore for reloading, and the edges are less fuzzy in the groups :D ).

The 5r barrel is also a JOY to clean. I didn't even have to do a nutty break-in.

Just swap out the trigger later, and put a key-lock-less bolt conversion at the same time.

-Dave

alex.wu1
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
My friend's 5r, all factory with a SWFA HD 5-20x50 with factory match ammo 5 round group.
Kevin

damn thats impressive...

Prc329
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
5R is one of the most accurate guns on the markets from a large gun maker you can buy. Id go with that.