View Full Version : Check my understanding

04-22-2007, 9:24 PM
I realize there are threads, and threads, and more threads about bringing my collection into California and I've read a lot of them. I just want to clarify to make sure I am not missing something or an opportunity.

Regarding my handguns: I can bring them all in as long as they don't have magwells outside the grip, silencers, etc that would qualify them as an AW. No hi-caps and I need to register within 60 days.

I can bring an off-list stripped 5.56 auto loading lower receiver with me or 2. If it were to become listed, I would then have the opportunity to register it. Later I can build it as long as I follow the law with regards to evil features. If it has to be registered in the future, does it have to be built at that time to be registered or can I register the lower only. In other words, will I need to rush to build it.

My stock Norinco SKS is ok to bring in?

Other than completing my handgun collection and getting a couple off list lowers before moving, is there any other opportunity I should take advantage of before moving into the state?

Thanks for the help. I knew there was a reason I moved out of state. But alas, work brings me back.

04-22-2007, 9:30 PM
Sounds like you're plenty squared away, thanks for researching before asking. And as long as your SKS isn't detachable AK-style mag, you're good to go on that. Like you said, finish your handgun collection to the best of your desire/ability, and you're all set to come back to CA.

04-22-2007, 9:30 PM
On your handguns: Also make sure that you have no threaded barrels.

Bring in your AR lowers that are not on the list. It is exceedingly unlikely that they will be listed. As such, there will be no rush to build it.

As long as the SKS is a fixed magazine model and it doesn't have a grenade launcher on it, you're fine.

04-22-2007, 9:42 PM
Wow you guys are fast. I am guessing I will be a regular around here before too long. None of the handguns have threaded barrels so I'm ok there. THe SKS is stock so it is fixed magazine and it has no grenade launcher. I've been buying up a storm lately and that will continue until we move.

I've got 4 or 5 more handguns to aquire to fill out my collection to the best of my ability.

I know that sometimes vendors will not ship to California so they don't have to deal with the legal piece. Is there any problem getting parts for my CA legal AR builds, or are the parts more expensive? So much so that I should buy some of the parts before I move. I'm trying to focus my funds on things that I won't be able to get once I get there, but I don't want to kick myself 6 months from now because I am paying twice the price for something that I could have bought now.

04-22-2007, 9:48 PM
The parts may be cheaper in AZ, couldn't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. You can get any/all AR parts here though. Cold War Shooters & 10% and a few other good distributors/FFLs have us covered. By CA for CA and what not, ya know? I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about buying AR parts there. You do want to buy the lowers there though to avoid 10 day waits, extra shipping/receiving fees, and all that jazz.

04-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a good plan on the lowers. I get spoiled being able to stop in at a shop and walk out with whatever I want. Only for a few more weeks. :-(

One other question. If I later want to sell one of my handguns that is not on the list, is that ok?

04-22-2007, 10:15 PM
You should be hesitant about buying loads of guns and planning on selling them, that'd make you a dealer without a license. However, it is perfectly legal for a CA resident to sell his registered handguns to another CA resident. You wouldn't be able to do that till after you had moved to CA, and declared/registered the pistols via the DOJ paperwork on their website. They don't need to be on the list because private party transfers are exempt. So yeah, if you have a few you want to eventually sell and we can't get them here, don't sell them there! :D

04-22-2007, 10:20 PM
To be honest, I have no intention of selling any of them. But in the event that I decided to in the future I wanted to see if it was ok.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
I knew there was a reason I moved out of state. But alas, work brings me back.

Since you say that you used to live in California, we should mention that any "high cap" mags you owned while living here before the ban are legal for you to bring back with you.

04-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Very true, as long as you owned them while you were in the state before, theres nothing against you bringing them back with you now. It would be on the DOJ to prove you were importing high cap mags, not on you to prove you weren't.

04-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Re-importation of large-capacity magazines that were owned in California prior to the ban is specifically allowed in the law.

And you'll have very little trouble getting non receiver AR parts in California.

04-23-2007, 5:14 AM
Unfortunately, I did not own nearly the collection back then that I do today.

04-23-2007, 5:20 AM
The AR15 lower receiver is the only thing that is regulated and must go through an FFL. Everything else is not so if you don't like the price of components here in CA, you can mail order them. Because of the mail order business, I have to keep my parts competitive.

If you are just going to go buy off list lowers, that is fine. If you already have complete AR15s that are off list, then you should just buy the compliance parts and bring them in already complete. There is a chance you can get a complete off list rifle cheaper than you could here. You just need to buy a fixed mag kit and take off the evil features before you come in.

If you don't have complete rifles already, then your best bet is to just buy the receivers and build them up once you get here.