PDA

View Full Version : Featureless Benelli MR1 Owners?

ElvenSoul
04-12-2012, 1:08 PM
Anyone out there own one? How do you like it? How does it compare to other OLL M4's?

ElvenSoul
04-13-2012, 1:24 PM
Nada!

DasBoost
04-13-2012, 1:47 PM
Best bet is to Google Benelli MR1 ComforTech Reviews. That's the CA-compliant stock used to make it featureless. Essentially a Mini 14 that takes AR mags. There's a few posters that have some and reviews tend to be favorable but they run about $1200.... AKA a decent AR.

gorenut
04-13-2012, 2:26 PM
Its the cost to benefit ratio that stops me from getting one. I really wanted one when it was first showcased. I was even willing to pay the price tag if everything matched up.. but I read quite a few reports where the accuracy was "only" around 3 MOA. I have no problems with 3 MOA as I think its sufficient enough.. but not at $1200 and in 223. Fit, feel, finish and everything is top-notch though. I still wouldn't completely count it out as I haven't actually shot one yet.. I just don't want to spend $1200 to test it out. If I run across one for less, I'd probably still buy it.

Just giving you what I've read up when I was doing research, but it was mostly from the internet and gun rags. I'm always skeptical on internet hype and bashing, but its the gun magazine one that gets to me since their "reviews" are almost always a form of paid advertising. So even if they're saying around 3 MOA, that might actually be a flattering number to the truth. All speculation of course.

ap3572001
04-13-2012, 3:21 PM
I have two of them . Was thinking about selling one last week , dicided not to .

Its VERY well made . Very reliable with MODERN AR style magazines. NOT WITH OLD USGI mags. I also ONLY use top quality ammo in my rifles. Never tried anything else.

Both of my rifles work great with P-MAGS (My AR's at work work great with them too), FN M16 mags, NEW Colt OEM mags and any other modern AR magazins with NON-TILT followers.

It has very good factory sights. I am NOT using optics with MY MR1's and keep most of my shots in the 5" circle out to 100 yards with very little effort.

It is MORE than accurate for combat/HD/self defense.

There are less small parts in MR1 than in an AR.

Comes back on target faster than ANY AR of the same weight.

I would say that it is like a nice MINI-14 that takes AR magazines. W/O any BB's , weird looking stocks and other BS.

gorenut
04-13-2012, 3:25 PM
I would say that it is like a nice MINI-14 that takes AR magazines. W/O any BB's , weird looking stocks and other BS.

Pretty much the same conclusion I've come down to, a luxury Mini-14 that accepts AR mags, or a Mini-14 in a very nice Italian suit :).

ap3572001
04-13-2012, 3:54 PM
Pretty much the same conclusion I've come down to, a luxury Mini-14 that accepts AR mags, or a Mini-14 in a very nice Italian suit :).

Yep.

ElvenSoul
04-13-2012, 4:39 PM
How would you rate it's durability?

dwightlooi
04-13-2012, 4:48 PM
Only shot it once. Did that when I was on a trip to Arizona and it had the (evil) pistol grip...

The MR1 is a very light rifle, but one with major issues. Got nicked on my cheek on the second round by the brass and on the edge of my forehead on the third. Ouch!!! After that I stopped and returned the gun to its owner. And, no, I wasn't even a south paw, although I was leaning over to get the left eye through the scope. Southpaws can expect to get hit squarely in the face every time!

dfletcher
04-13-2012, 5:55 PM
Only shot it once. Did that when I was on a trip to Arizona and it had the (evil) pistol grip...

The MR1 is a very light rifle, but one with major issues. Got nicked on my cheek on the second round by the brass and on the edge of my forehead on the third. Ouch!!! After that I stopped and returned the gun to its owner. And, no, I wasn't even a south paw, although I was leaning over to get the left eye through the scope. Southpaws can expect to get hit squarely in the face every time!

Not true. I shoot lefty, have become accustomed to getting hit by some rifles (my Garand drops the clip on the top of my head every time ...:mad:) but not the MR1.

Mine functions perfectly with whatever mags are in it - Pmag, old Colt, Lancer or cheap crapola brand. Very reliable, I've put about 2K rounds through it with not jam or FTF, FTE - nothing.

The trigger pull is terrible. Broke a few Torx 15 removing the rear sight to mount a Burris 2 to 7X scope, the thing was on very tight.

Instead of the $100.00 Benelli rail up front I used a Beretta rifle (Storm?) for about $35.00. I installed a Nordic brake for the hell of it. If Benelli were going to issue the thing with a brake I think that would be the one. Works fine, looks like it belongs there.

The ARGO action gives the thing a different feel during recoil. Very snappy and the impulse doesn't seem to quite make it to your shoulder, hard to describe.

I'm very happy with mine and I generally don't like plastic.

ElvenSoul
04-15-2012, 12:08 PM
dfletcher thanks for the info!