PDA

View Full Version : Just curious about 308 win Bolt Action, please help, thank you.

driftstalker
04-12-2012, 1:05 PM
Hi Folks,

I wanted to learn about 308 win Bolt Action for economical and long distance shooting purposes (500+ yards). I loved mosin nagant's all steel bolt assembly, but I hate mickey mouse plastic crap on my savage axis xp 223 bolt action rifle.

I was looking at the followings:

Howa - forged bolt, magazine

Ruger - steel bolt (similar to Mauser), magazine

Remington - pretty popular, plastic on bolt handle, small magazine cap

Savage 10FPXP - I know nothing on the bolt assembly, small magazine cap

Mossberg Night Train 2 - steel bolt, small magazine cap

-------------------------------------------------------------

I needed advice on where else I should look into. Again, I'm just in a learning phase right now. Thanks in advance :)

Budd
04-12-2012, 1:56 PM
Tikka is another to look at - but I am very happy with my Savage 10 FCPHS. Savages have button rifled barrels from the factory - not hammered like factory Remington's.

Savages also have a tighter twist rate than Remington's - my Savage loves 175gr Berger VLD's.

Edit: Sharp shooter supply has 9 round mags for the savage.

joelogic
04-12-2012, 2:02 PM
Savage 10rd mag - http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.shtml

driftstalker
04-12-2012, 2:40 PM
Savage 10 FCPHS has such thick barrel to prevent barrel wiggle. The rifle is simple and straightforward, no fancy gimmick, which makes it awesome.

I like the extended release idea at the top of the products list. I installed one onto my ruger 10/22.

milotrain
04-12-2012, 3:15 PM
One option is to rebarrel and restock the Savage Axis you have so that you can shoot some of the excellent 80gr and 90gr VLD bullets in .223. They will shoot accurately out to 800 yards. You need a faster twist, around 1:7 or 1:6.5, but for your budget you could make your Axis less plasticky and have a high quality barrel on it.

Just a thought.

LovingTheYear1911
04-12-2012, 3:29 PM
Another vote for Savage

driftstalker
04-12-2012, 3:56 PM
Dang, I don't have the tools and space necessary for a barrel change. Would be a nice idea to load heavier tips. Thanks for the advice though, I will keep looking into this.

milotrain
04-12-2012, 4:02 PM
You could easily have a smith do it but one of the wonderful thing about the savage actions is that they are easily re-barrable at home.

Here is all it takes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng

Not trying to convince you not to get a .308 :D But it may be more fun/interesting to focus on what you can make the .223 do. Especially if you are reloading and want to keep supply costs down to a minimum. People say you can't be competitive with .223 in palma match, but I'd imagine that the fact that people do shoot .223 in palma means that the round can be accurate to 1000 yards if the right work is put into it. Not ideal of course, but just another option.

driftstalker
04-13-2012, 2:06 PM
Thank you for the advice. I really like the idea of rebarreling, but $53+ for barrel block vice, $40 for barrel wrench, $40 for table vice, and a new barrel = a new 308 bolt action, hehehe.

I have nothing against rebarreling if I have the tools already or if I can borrow it, but the way I see it is more guns the merrier :p

Thank you for the link to the video. I was trying to find it last night, but could not (searching under "Savage rebarrel" instead of "Savage barrel swap"). Now I know how to rebarrel, which is something I enjoyed learning =)

You could easily have a smith do it but one of the wonderful thing about the savage actions is that they are easily re-barrable at home.

Here is all it takes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng

Not trying to convince you not to get a .308 :D But it may be more fun/interesting to focus on what you can make the .223 do. Especially if you are reloading and want to keep supply costs down to a minimum. People say you can't be competitive with .223 in palma match, but I'd imagine that the fact that people do shoot .223 in palma means that the round can be accurate to 1000 yards if the right work is put into it. Not ideal of course, but just another option.

driftstalker
04-13-2012, 2:10 PM
Just had a curious thought after seeing the video, barrel swap on the 308 savage (wild dream) :43: