PDA

View Full Version : bought a mossberg 590A1 now I need to tacticool it out

proraptor
04-22-2007, 8:56 PM
9 more days till I get my mossberg 590A1 with ghost ring sights....

I need a bayonet for the front where can I get one cheap??

I also want to get a heat shield...which one is the best?

I guess I also need a side saddle....Is Mesa Tactical the way to go?

Thanks

Guns R Tools
04-22-2007, 9:12 PM
Bayonet can be either M7 or M9.

Can't use factory heat shiled.

HeHateMe
04-22-2007, 9:53 PM
I found that the side saddle got in the way and just made the shotgun bulky. I just used the speed feed stock and keep 4 rnds in the stock.

Heat shield won't fit because the barrel is oversized. Actually I haven't seen any vendor that sells a heat shield for the 590A1 barrels.

James R.
04-22-2007, 10:42 PM
9 more days till I get my mossberg 590A1 with ghost ring sights....

I need a bayonet for the front where can I get one cheap??

I also want to get a heat shield...which one is the best?

I guess I also need a side saddle....Is Mesa Tactical the way to go?

Thanks

Have the Mesa on my 870 and really like it. Those speed feed stocks that hold shells are notorious for dropping shells. Maybe they've improved the design since, but they were well known for having that problem.

http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/Tactical_Shotguns.jpg

It's a very well made shell holder...

Regards,

James R.

proraptor
04-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Thats weird cause they had another 590A1 there (no ghost ring sights) that had a factory heat shield installed on it....I also searched google images and saw a coupl that had the ghost ring sights with heat shields....I wonder which one they are using....

I think Ill go with mesa tactical for the side saddle...Not sure if I want 6 round or 8 round though what do you think?

The speed feeds are ok but this i my zombie/home defense gun and Im going to need more than 4 extra shells. I also didnt like the grip are of those stocks as they are rough and feel kind of cheap...

I stil need to find a bayonet for it....

Baron
04-23-2007, 10:17 AM
I really like my ATI "M4 style" stock on my 500
you can get the ATI side saddles that attach to the stock plus the regular side saddle, then even buy the sling that has shell holders... Talk about loaded for Anti-Zombies....LOL... Add a couple of bandoliers and a belt

ATI also makes the fold over the top stock as well, I believe you can add a shell holder to that...

Don't forget the surefire light, then a laser mount....

Seriously though.... I thought the 590A1 came with a heat shield....
The 590's I saw for sale at Big 5 had heat shields, but maybe those weren't A1's.

M1A Rifleman
04-23-2007, 10:28 AM
My understanding is the factory heat sheet will not fit the milspec 590A1 due to the heavy barrel. They do fit the std 590 which does not have a heavy barrel. This is also the reason why other mossberg barrels will not fit the 590A1.

proraptor
04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I really like my ATI "M4 style" stock on my 500
you can get the ATI side saddles that attach to the stock plus the regular side saddle, then even buy the sling that has shell holders... Talk about loaded for Anti-Zombies....LOL... Add a couple of bandoliers and a belt

ATI also makes the fold over the top stock as well, I believe you can add a shell holder to that...

Don't forget the surefire light, then a laser mount....

Seriously though.... I thought the 590A1 came with a heat shield....
The 590's I saw for sale at Big 5 had heat shields, but maybe those weren't A1's.

If it was shiny looking and didnt say 590A1 on the side than it was just a regular 590. They do make a 590 A1 with a heat shield but no ghost ring sites (which are a must).

I know the 590A1 does have a heavier duty barrel (larger diameter) but if you search google images there are a couple pics of people with the model I bought and a heat shield....weird...Maybe I will contact mossberg about this and ask them....

M1A Rifleman
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
If it was shiny looking and didnt say 590A1 on the side than it was just a regular 590. They do make a 590 A1 with a heat shield but no ghost ring sites (which are a must).

I know the 590A1 does have a heavier duty barrel (larger diameter) but if you search google images there are a couple pics of people with the model I bought and a heat shield....weird...Maybe I will contact mossberg about this and ask them....

I don't think this is correct as I have never seen a milspec A1 with a heat sheild. The Mossberg site currently only has one heavy barrel model and it does not come with a sheild. My 2000 Mossberg LEO cataloge for milspec heavy barrel models also does not contain any versions with a factory sheild, and at the time, Mossberg mentioned the sheilds don't fit the heavy barrel versions. Maybe things have changed or there are after market versions. Please keep us posted as I would like to add one to an A1.

Baron
04-23-2007, 11:33 AM

The ones I saw were parkerized (I think that's what it's called) The flat non-shiny color. But your right, now thinking about it, no ghost ring...

Blue
04-23-2007, 7:37 PM
I bought an M7 bayo with scabbard on ebay for $15 shipped.

floorance
04-23-2007, 9:16 PM
Be careful of the Surefire front end, IIRC, the bayonet attachment gets in the way of the flashlight. Someone chime in if I'm incorrect

Blue
04-23-2007, 9:31 PM
Be careful of the Surefire front end, IIRC, the bayonet attachment gets in the way of the flashlight. Someone chime in if I'm incorrect

I read somewhere that the light can bite you if you don't hold it right using a Knoxx stock. Something about having to hold it an inch and a half behind the light?

Baron
04-23-2007, 9:47 PM
I read somewhere that the light can bite you if you don't hold it right using a Knoxx stock. Something about having to hold it an inch and a half behind the light?

+1 Yeah I read that too

HeHateMe
04-23-2007, 9:54 PM

That is correct. On mine, I would have to dremel off the lug or something before the surefire could be attached. I think Surefire's site mentions that the bayo lug is in the way and requires modification to the firearm.

DedEye
04-23-2007, 11:28 PM
The factory heat shield will not fit on the 590A1 because of the front ghost ring, not because of the heavier barrel. The heatshield is designed to slide down the barrel, and this cannot be done with the front sight compared to the bead sight.
Get a Knoxx SpecOps stock. Its what I plan to get first/next for my 590A1.

proraptor
04-24-2007, 7:40 AM
Why couldnt you take off the barrel and slide the heat shield on from the back?

Baron
04-24-2007, 8:13 AM
Why couldnt you take off the barrel and slide the heat shield on from the back?

The heat shield is tappered like the barrel. I doubt you could reverse slide the heat shield on.
But I don't see why you couldn't spread the front of the heat shield enough to get around the ghost ring.
The rear of the heat shield should be wide enough to lower onto the barrel just behind the front sight, then slide it back, then maybe spread the front of the heat shield enough to be lowered onto the barrel, and just use a vise or something similar to close the front of the heat shield...

I could be wrong though

proraptor
04-24-2007, 9:17 AM
Yeah I was thinking of the same thing....Im going to get a heat shield on the thing...Who makes the best heat shield?

jessegpresley
04-24-2007, 10:20 AM
What about a Knoxx SpecOps stock with the PowerPack addition that holds extra shells?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/38890.jpg

proraptor
04-24-2007, 2:01 PM
Im not so sure I like the ar15 style stock for a shotgun...

Baron
04-24-2007, 2:44 PM
Here's my Mossberg 500

I have removed the scope mount and red dot scope though...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/GORZACK/Family/Shotgun014.jpg

Before I added Knox Sidewinder to it I just had ATI's SpecOps Stock and I found it to be really comfortable to shoot. And actually my wife wants her own mossberg and wants the ATI SpecOps stock as well.
This is mine before the Sidewinder went on (Which will be what my wife's will look like too)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/GORZACK/Family/Shotgun010.jpg
Here's with the 18.5" barrel and heat shield
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/GORZACK/Family/Shotgun003.jpg

But not everyone likes the pistol grip and stock. My advise would be to hold one and shoot with one if you can find somebody before you fully decide what to do. Just find what comfortable for you...

jessegpresley
04-24-2007, 6:12 PM

It has an adjustable Length Of Pull and cuts recoil in half.

Why do you not like... aside from perhaps appearance?

CalNRA
04-24-2007, 6:22 PM

he might get scolded at the trap range...

DedEye
04-24-2007, 6:31 PM

Then check out the Knoxx Compstock (http://knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/Compstock.htm). Skip the heatshield though. With ghost rings you're most likely only going to scratch your barrel (when installing it), it'll be almost impossible to remove the thing if you ever need to clean underneath it, and it doesn't really do anything to improve the Mossberg. I wanted to get one for my 590 when I bought it, but am pretty glad I don't have one at the moment and may eventually change my mind.

proraptor
04-25-2007, 11:00 AM

The appearence and the price...Not to mention they are out of stock everywhere.....Anyone know where I can get one online?

proraptor
04-25-2007, 2:04 PM
I just might buy one of those spec ops stocks if it really reduces recoil....Can you tell a difference in recoil?

tonb
04-25-2007, 2:19 PM
Don't forget the golden rule: KISS :)

DedEye
04-25-2007, 5:45 PM
Everything I've heard or been told is that they really work. I haven't used one myself yet though. Seems you'd be better served by the CompStock though.

jessegpresley
04-25-2007, 11:05 PM
They work.

They're for sale on eBay for $110.

They are also now OEM for Remington.

proraptor
04-26-2007, 7:10 AM
Well I ordered an ontario M9 bayonet, and a mesa tactical metal 8 shot shell side holder....I just saw the spec ops on ebay....maybe I should pick one up....I think they are growing on me

mcubed4130
04-26-2007, 8:22 AM
I just might buy one of those spec ops stocks if it really reduces recoil....Can you tell a difference in recoil?

+100000 for Knoxx SpecOps (I also added the Limbsaver for the SpecOps also).

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/mcubed4130/mossberg_short_range.jpg

Personally in this setup - I can't tell the difference between:
3" 600gr magnum slugs, 2 3/4" 1oz slugs, #00 buck or #00 low recoil tactical buck, #7 1/2 or #6 birdy.

-M3

Blue
04-26-2007, 8:06 PM
Personally in this setup - I can't tell the difference between:
3" 600gr magnum slugs
-M3

600 grain? They really make those? I thought the normal 2 3/4 slugs were 325(ish)grain. In the extra quarter inch they can get almost twice the slug in there?

mcubed4130
04-26-2007, 9:57 PM
600 grain? They really make those? I thought the normal 2 3/4 slugs were 325(ish)grain. In the extra quarter inch they can get almost twice the slug in there?

:D They are quite fun, even though I did got smacked once by my scope.

Anyway... Yes, Brenneke Black Magic 3" Magnum 12g Slugs 600gr - it's not just BOOM... it's BA-BOOOOOOOM - ZIIIIING - BAP!!

I was asked at my local outdoor range by some of the others if I was shooting a 50 cal or something... When they figured out it was a shotgun, they did a tripple take.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/

-M3

proraptor
04-27-2007, 7:41 AM
The cheap walmart slugs are 1 oz or 425 grains....Id like to try out those
600's! Ill bet they kick

mcubed4130
04-27-2007, 1:33 PM

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t316/mcubed4130/shotgun_12g_slugs_sizes.jpg

Here is the picture of 1000 words.. truth is there is ALOT more room for bullet in either size cartridge.

I do find it rather amusing, I'm going to be building my first AR OLL soon, and I'll commonly be shooting 62gr ammo. Talk about downsizing! :D

-M3

proraptor
04-27-2007, 2:45 PM
wow that thing is a monster! Im going to have to get some of those

mike100
04-27-2007, 2:50 PM
I thought the 590A1 was the all steel milspec mossy- It's already tac'd out IMO. military issue model. It will hold it's value bone stock. you should get the regular aluminum receiver'd 590 since the weight savings will help with the side saddle- and those don't bring a premium as far as resale goes.

proraptor
04-27-2007, 3:28 PM
I thought the 590A1 was the all steel milspec mossy- It's already tac'd out IMO. military issue model. It will hold it's value bone stock. you should get the regular aluminum receiver'd 590 since the weight savings will help with the side saddle- and those don't bring a premium as far as resale goes.

Im almost positive all mossberg receivers are aluminum even the milspec 590A1 (which I bought). I got the one with the ghost rings though

proraptor
04-30-2007, 3:33 PM
I pick it up tomorrow....Im so excited....

rkt88edmo
04-30-2007, 4:28 PM
One drawback often pointed out for those stocks is that you can't reach the nice top side ambi-safety (which you have/will already replaced with a metal one if yours is plastic) while using the pistol grip.

Just put on my Hogue-OM youth stock yesterday, I like it very much, I hope the opinion holds after I run it through a course of fire, but I think it will. It points better for me now & is much easier to hold and manipulate, but takes longer to drop my sight to the ghost ring & the cheekweld when using the ghostring is funky and may end up being painful.

Teletiger7
04-30-2007, 4:34 PM
Got the Knoxx SPecops on my 870. And yes it's worth it. Recoil is soooo soft now. Like a push instead of a jolt.

proraptor
04-30-2007, 7:04 PM
One drawback often pointed out for those stocks is that you can't reach the nice top side ambi-safety (which you have/will already replaced with a metal one if yours is plastic) while using the pistol grip.

Just put on my Hogue-OM youth stock yesterday, I like it very much, I hope the opinion holds after I run it through a course of fire, but I think it will. It points better for me now & is much easier to hold and manipulate, but takes longer to drop my sight to the ghost ring & the cheekweld when using the ghostring is funky and may end up being painful.

The 590A1 somes with metal trigger guard and safety...I also have very large hands and havent had any problem reaching the safety with my other mossbergs and pistol grip

floorance
05-01-2007, 9:27 AM
I hope you like the youth Hogue stock! I'm not enjoying my current speedfeed stock that much and just placed an order for Knoxx Spec Ops Stock for my Mossy. Lets hope it makes a believer out of me. :D

DANGERCLOSE
05-06-2007, 10:25 PM
i tricked out my 590a1 ghost ring with speedfeed. i have a sidesaddle on it, a surefire forearm, 3 point sling with a side sling mount from blackhawk. in order to use the surefire, i bought an offset to go aroung the bayonet lug, i can even swing it to one side or the other. i still have to buy a bayonet. the usmc one. if i ever get around to taking a pic, i will post it. if you get any info about the heat shield. please pass it on. i love this shotty, and wont buy another pump ever. its just too bad *****.

Atmosphere
05-07-2007, 9:10 PM
http://www.apatheology.com/public_shares/images/Tactical_Shotguns.jpg

What model FN is that?

highspeed11
05-08-2007, 6:22 PM
^^^^ Slp

neomedic
05-10-2007, 7:21 PM
Has anyone got ghost rings sights on a 590 (not the A1 since its standard) and how hard was it and how much??

Thanks.

neomedic
05-10-2007, 9:57 PM
According to this website...it says that "riot" versions of the 590A1 military shotgun has a heatshield. But the website said it doesn't know if Mossberg has these heatshields for sale to the civilian market.

www.answers.com/topic/mossberg-500

proraptor
05-11-2007, 9:05 AM
The rear ghost ring that mossberg sells just screws in....The front one looks like its welded/brazed on the barrel

caduckgunner
05-11-2007, 9:20 AM
The front one looks like its welded/brazed on the barrel

I think they are epoxied in. At least that is how I'm going to mount the fron ton my Winchester 1300 Defender.