PDA

View Full Version : How long have you not cleaned your AR-15?

gregshin
04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Just curious to see how long everyone has gone without cleaning. I've had my upper for close to 3 years now. I've taken my upper to grey group training classes, the ranges, and BLMs. I've only only shot brass cased ammo which consists of Federal real M193, M855, PMC .223, AE .223, and PRVI M193.

I'd say i'm close to the 10,000 range mark with no cleaning at all. Not even running anything thru my barrel. All i do is liberally lube the gun with Slip 2000 EWL. I should post a pic of my upper and BCG. So far the only issues i had was some of the PRVI ammo did not go off after the primer was hit. I'm not saying you should never clean you gun...because i have other guns that i do clean...but i was just curious to see how long it would take before my upper would start to seize up.

Specs are below on my DI custom upper
Colt Upper Receiver
Colt SOCOM barrel w/pinned PWS FSC
Colt BCG
Carbine gas system
Daniel Defense LITE rail.
PRI Gas Buster charging Handle
Aimpoint T1.

Josh3239
04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Couple years. I don't do any real cleanings, but I just started using a Fail zero bolt (no problem with BCMs, just wanted to try FZ) and every now and then I'll wipe down the bolt group just to look for any damage on the parts. I've probably run a boresnake through it a few times. But I doubt I have done anything that anyone here would call a cleaning. Zero stoppages with this current build (or the previous BCM bolt that was in there). I' ve only been shooting Centurion 55gr overrun ammo for quite a while, I would guess what I shot before that was mostly PMC 55gr. I've been trying grease for lubrication and found it far longer lasting. I'd really like to try Slip or TWB25

Upper specs:
ASA Side Charger w/ Carrier
Fail Zero Bolt
Centurion Mid-Length, M249 blank barrel 16''
VTAC TRX
A2 FH

HK Dave
04-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Don't let the AR Piston fan boys see this... they'll have a **** fit.

For my chrome lined stuff, I usually clean every 500 to 1000 rounds... but it's really not very much to clean.

I know it can go much longer, but I'm just anal like that. :)

ICONIC
04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
a week and a half. If my bore is not clean I can hear my uncle in my head yelling at me to clean my guns.

Eddy's Shooting Sports
04-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I can't remember the last time I cleaned my AR15. I know it had several thousand rounds through and got put in the safe for about ten years. I pulled it out the other day and ran a couple hundred through it. Decided to use it in an informal service rifle match this week, so I put some CLP on the (dry) bolt. Worked flawlessly.

Maybe I'll clean it next week. Or next month. :-)

BTW this is RAW Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't Model.

Greg David
Eddy's Shooting Sports
400 Moffett Blvd.,Suite F
Mountain View, CA 94043
(660)969-GUNS

T-F 12-7 W 12-9 Sat 11-5
Closed Sun/Mon

RECCE556
04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I built an AR back in 2007 and have never cleaned it, ever...not even wiped it down. It's my primary training gun and I built to run to destruction. It has over close to 18K rounds on it now and I've even shot every type of ammo brand/type you could imagine including some low power junk like Wolf, PMC Bronze, etc. through it. It's also been run on full auto (relax Francis, I have friends in Vegas who have NFA lowers). I lube it with whatever I happen to have from Mobil1 motor oil to Slip2000. The only malfs I've had were from USGI and C-Products mags having their feed lips spread (causing double feeds).

Did I miss something by not jumping on the "add extra weight to the muzzle end of the gun" piston craze?? ;)

Colt M4 Upper
Colt 14.5" M4 Barrel w/Perm. Attached Phantom Flash Suppressor (did this back in 2007, I'd run something else now!)
Colt M16 BCG
DD Lite Rail
GG&G Flip Up Front Sight/Gas Block combo (again, I'd do something different now)
Optics varied from a Aimpoint M2/Pro/T1, ACOG TA01/TA33 and SpecterDR

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Max 2 weeks, full field strip and every spec of carbon removed, but I'm OCD. The only thing I don't remove and clean is the extractor spring and pin (that is one tough SOB to get back together without the right tools). I don't like dirty guns or dirty anything (get your mind out of the gutter :p). You should see my garage. You could eat off the floor ;)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/CIMG4245.jpg

bighead
04-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I've never cleaned my Sig 516.I only shoot wolf steel case through it.

LovingTheYear1911
04-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Dang after reading these posts I feel like I need counseling for my OCD. Seriously I need help cause I clean whatever I shoot immediately when I get home from the range, even my AR. I need help.

TripleThreat
04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Dang after reading these posts I feel like I need counseling for my OCD. Seriously I need help cause I clean whatever I shoot immediately when I get home from the range, even my AR. I need help.

Maybe we can get a counseling discount, I suffer from the same condition as you.

Merc1138
04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Max 2 weeks, full field strip and every spec of carbon removed, but I'm OCD. The only thing I don't remove and clean is the extractor spring and pin (that is one tough SOB to get back together without the right tools). I don't like dirty guns or dirty anything (get your mind out of the gutter :p). You should see my garage. You could eat off the floor ;)

Removing the extractor is pretty easy. Just hold it down and use a small punch to get the pin out, reverse to put it back. It's the ejector that I'd prefer to avoid messing with.

8l-pAw-6pUY

It may be a 10 minute video, but for the first 5 minutes or so the guy is yapping about other stuff. The procedure itself takes maybe 30 seconds.

almaster666
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
The only time I clean my bolt carrier is after going out to the desert. And even then, all I do is spray a little solvent and hit it with some Mobil 1 to lube it.

MrPlink
04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I decided to torture my AR pistol for a bit just for anecdotal experiment sake. Its a LMT 10.5in w/ BCM bcg. Prior I would clean it after every use, but I should note Ive never had an issue with it and it eats all ammo reliably (even all the crap steel case).

So far I'm only abouy maybe 500rds in with mostly m193 and hornaday, with a bit of PMC here and there. I lightly lube it here and there but that is it.

Honestly what kills me about not cleaning it is not that I am OCD, but I LOVE to tinker with my guns, and stripping them down and cleaning them is part of that for me.

Oh well, the "test" goes on

mif_slim
04-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Did a test. I sprayed brake cleaner on all parts making sure no oil was present. Shot it up to about 5k and it started to stick a lot. Sticking began at about 4.5k. About 5.5k I decided to lube it up. It was stuck every few rounds....after lubing, it ran like a champ!

javalos
04-12-2012, 1:24 PM
I routinely clean my AR, I want it in pristine working order because my life may depend on it and plus its a habit from the service days, still envision the ghost of my shouting DI showing me a smudge of carbon on his pinky during weapons inspection.

hornswaggled
04-12-2012, 1:32 PM
Also OCD here and was taught to clean after every range trip, so old habits die hard. I know from the article BCM sends out with their uppers that good ARs can run for tens of thousands of rounds with only lubrication and no cleaning. If the meds work well maybe one day I'll be brave enough to test that theory.

HK Dave
04-12-2012, 1:37 PM
I built an AR back in 2007 and have never cleaned it, ever...not even wiped it down. It's my primary training gun and I built to run to destruction. It has over close to 18K rounds on it now and I've even shot every type of ammo brand/type you could imagine including some low power junk like Wolf, PMC Bronze, etc. through it. It's also been run on full auto (relax Francis, I have friends in Vegas who have NFA lowers). I lube it with whatever I happen to have from Mobil1 motor oil to Slip2000. The only malfs I've had were from USGI and C-Products mags having their feed lips spread (causing double feeds).

Did I miss something by not jumping on the "add extra weight to the muzzle end of the gun" piston craze?? ;)

Colt M4 Upper
Colt 14.5" M4 Barrel w/Perm. Attached Phantom Flash Suppressor (did this back in 2007, I'd run something else now!)
Colt M16 BCG
DD Lite Rail
GG&G Flip Up Front Sight/Gas Block combo (again, I'd do something different now)
Optics varied from a Aimpoint M2/Pro/T1, ACOG TA01/TA33 and SpecterDR

You sir, are the MAN. :)

It's funny how people try and justify an AR piston.

And to the AR Piston fan boys... sorry the coming out of the water argument doesn't fly... YOU DONT SHOOT ANYWHERE NEAR WATER. :P

Fate
04-12-2012, 1:43 PM
The below sounds like one of mine. I have a Stag from 2006 that has ~10k rounds through it without cleaning. Has only ever had just one failure from this past February, when I forgot to lube it after it had sat in the safe for 6 months. It just runs.

I built an AR back in 2007 and have never cleaned it, ever...not even wiped it down. It's my primary training gun and I built to run to destruction. It has over close to 18K rounds on it now and I've even shot every type of ammo brand/type you could imagine including some low power junk like Wolf, PMC Bronze, etc. through it.

AK all day
04-12-2012, 1:46 PM
When i come back from shooting I ALWAYS clean my guns. I have tried not to but it just bugs the hell out of me knowing it sitting dirty. last trip, I only fired 30 rounds out of my AR and I let it go for 3 days then I couldn't take it anymore lol....

frankDmole
04-12-2012, 1:53 PM
The only time you really need to worry about carbon build up is when shooting blanks or .22 in your AR, I usually just get the grime out after shooting descent ammo, but when shooting .22 or golf balls using blanks you need to give the bolt a good scrubbing otherwise you will experience misfires..

Dave07997S
04-12-2012, 1:54 PM
Clean after every outing...wipe down the bolt, just a minor clean up. 10 years total in the Army has made it a habit.

Dave

Dave07997S
04-12-2012, 2:00 PM
I routinely clean my AR, I want it in pristine working order because my life may depend on it and plus its a habit from the service days, still envision the ghost of my shouting DI showing me a smudge of carbon on his pinky during weapons inspection.

Even at my duty station with the 25th Infantry Division we had to bring a white towel, if any carbon showed up the armorer would hand you your weapon back and said bring it back when its clean.

Dave

javalos
04-12-2012, 2:05 PM
Even at my duty station with the 25th Infantry Division we had to bring a white towel, if any carbon showed up the armorer would hand you your weapon back and said bring it back when its clean.

Dave

Jeez, that sounds very familiar. We both know how it is brother.

CHS
04-12-2012, 3:41 PM
I have three AR's that I shoot most. One is my primary 5.56 gun, one is my 9mm and one is my .22lr.

Each one was cleaned and lubed properly when I built them. Before going out shooting, I inspect and lubricate each one as needed. None of them have been cleaned since that first time. None have had any issues up until a couple weeks ago.

So a couple weeks ago I put about the 6th brick through my .22lr. So around 3000 rounds. I got LOTS of FTE's and a couple of OOB's.

.22lr's are the only guns that consistently need a real cleaning on top of proper lubrication. However, I expected this one to go about 2000 rounds and not a whopping 3000, so that was a nice surprise.

I still haven't cleaned it though. Heh, maybe I'll do that today.

The 5.56 and the 9mm keep on ticking though. I have no plans to clean them anytime soon. They are, however, kept well-lubricated and wiped-down to prevent rust.

0331Marine
04-12-2012, 3:45 PM

I'm the same way.....I dont let my guns sit after a range day. Thy get cleaned once I get home.

fighterpilot562
04-12-2012, 4:50 PM
few months, with few range trips inbetween. but never a year or more

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-12-2012, 5:09 PM
Removing the extractor is pretty easy. Just hold it down and use a small punch to get the pin out, reverse to put it back. It's the ejector that I'd prefer to avoid messing with.

It may be a 10 minute video, but for the first 5 minutes or so the guy is yapping about other stuff. The procedure itself takes maybe 30 seconds.

Oops that's what I meant the ejector and spring. That's the sucker I just spray a bunch of brake cleaner and use the compressed air to clean. I had to take that sucker out to check the head space on a few AR308's and what a pain. Here is what I had to do since I didn't have the right tool:

What a pain in the rear, but it worked.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/spring.jpg

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-12-2012, 5:13 PM
OP I posted this recently, but in case you missed it. It's a good read

Keep it running (http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf)

Cheers

HPGunner
04-12-2012, 5:47 PM

ditto - cleaned after every range trip or sometimes I go a week or two if I know I might go to the range the following weekend. Typically after 200 to 300 rounds or 400 to 600 rounds if I shoot two weekends in a row. If it's a back to back weekend, I bore snake it with some CLP, wipe down the bolt and relube.

Put me in the OCD category.

scuds03
04-12-2012, 6:00 PM
Cleaning my gun is like going to Chruch for me.

Hoop
04-12-2012, 7:02 PM
2-300 rounds. i'm not very thorough about cleaning though usually just a couple of patches and lube the bolt.

maybe once a year I'll field strip the bolt.

Dark Mod
04-12-2012, 7:07 PM
Its been a while, i usually clean after every range trip

pacifico23
04-12-2012, 7:15 PM
EDIT

Mojaveman
04-12-2012, 7:19 PM
At the end of the day after it's been fired. Like the other veterans here it's just habit.

It's nice to know that it can go awhile without cleaning though. ;)

xpbprox
04-12-2012, 7:25 PM
After every use, my dad was a DI and he enstilled that in me. Also I just love tinkering with it like others have said.

GeetarGoul
04-12-2012, 7:48 PM
I clean in between firing sessions. Maybe not right after but definitely before the next session. I know I don't have to but I like to take care of things. I change the oil in my truck every 5000 miles. I could go longer but why?

SimpleCountryActuary
04-12-2012, 7:49 PM
I do some cleaning after every trip to the range. Otherwise I get the feeling someone is going to make me clean garbage cans for rest of the weekend.

Best!

jbush
04-12-2012, 8:13 PM
When I was little, my daddy told us if we didn't clean the gun immediately after we got home from shooting that they would rust and corrode away, so we cleaned after every trip. Now, I'm a little lazier and do a quick clean after each trip unless I know I'm going shooting again within a week. And, now days I don't rush home and clean. It might be the next day or so.

TRod1222
04-12-2012, 8:23 PM
Maybe we can get a counseling discount, I suffer from the same condition as you.

Three's company :(.

Dhena81
04-12-2012, 8:40 PM
OP that's funny you have almost the same build I'm doing right now.

Personally I would never run that many rounds through any gun without cleaning on purpose. The most I have ever run out of a DI AR without cleaning was about 1k with my DI LMT MRP. The DI AR will run dirty as hell just as long as its lubed you'll be GTG.

I would never purposely go through that many rounds because cleaning to me is more than just getting your weapon clean. It give you an opportunity to see any problems are surfacing or if there are parts needing to be replaced.

TMcGuff
04-12-2012, 8:40 PM
I have gone around 5,000 rounds on my work gun. If you drench it in CPL it will run forever. That being said my personal AR i clean after every use. OCD about personal guns.

f308gt4
04-12-2012, 8:42 PM
Cleaning my gun is like going to Chruch for me.

So you only clean on Christmas and Easter? :)

jwkincal
04-12-2012, 8:56 PM

The firing pin retaining pin works great for pushing the extractor pin out of the bolt.

tacticalcity
04-12-2012, 8:58 PM
I clean my AR after every range trip or course. If it is a multi-day course I run the entire course and clean it when done. It is about taking proper care of my equipment and making sure it lasts a life time.

PachecoFTW
04-12-2012, 9:31 PM
im at 400 rounds uncleaned but i do run a boresnake b4 a range session to make sure there are no obstructions.

Steerme
04-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I was taught to clean my weapon after every day of shooting. It didn't matter if it was 10 rounds or 500 rounds. This goes back to the early 60's and stories about corrosive ammunition from my dad and my dad's uncle. I still follow the same practice with today's non-corrosive ammo.

I'd rather have a clean firearm to start if SHTF, than be in a situation where the gun fails because I didn't clean it even though the gun was running properly the last time out. As an old Boy Scout, "Be Prepared" is a life decision.

1forall
04-13-2012, 12:30 AM
...about 24 hours after firing the last shoot. Cleaning my firearms is apart of the whole shooting experience for me.

CHS
04-13-2012, 12:42 AM
I clean my AR after every range trip or course. If it is a multi-day course I run the entire course and clean it when done. It is about taking proper care of my equipment and making sure it lasts a life time.

"Cleaning" =/= "Maintenance"

orthopod
04-13-2012, 12:44 AM
I was taught to clean my weapon after every day of shooting. It didn't matter if it was 10 rounds or 500 rounds. This goes back to the early 60's and stories about corrosive ammunition from my dad and my dad's uncle. I still follow the same practice with today's non-corrosive ammo.

I'd rather have a clean firearm to start if SHTF, than be in a situation where the gun fails because I didn't clean it even though the gun was running properly the last time out. As an old Boy Scout, "Be Prepared" is a life decision.

This is the camp im in...Be Prepared...I don't have an ar15 yet but I run a patch with solvent with an Otis cable after every range trip with my semi auto shotgun and do a full field strip clean and lube with mpro7 and clp after every couple hundred rounds or after around 3 range trips... And I know I'm really ocd already... Havnt figured out what my cleaning regimen for the ar will be yet but it will probably be pretty similar. Now my 10 22 I plan to run a patch after every range trip but
Only do a field strip clean and lube every couple thousand rounds. Anyone do Otis kit only cleanings here or is everyone doing rods and boresnakes?

Dave07997S
04-13-2012, 8:45 AM
Jeez, that sounds very familiar. We both know how it is brother.

Brings back memories huh? Good news is my buddy got to be the armorer later on. Still had to clean it as his shop had to be inspected as well. If we were going in to Waikiki on a Friday and we just got out of the field he would let me slide so we could get out of there early but I would clean it later on....:D

GeetarGoul
04-13-2012, 9:10 AM
I'm not interested in speeding up the aging process on my gun and I also don't want to find out how many consecutive shots I can fire before my rifle blows up in my face.

triggs75
04-13-2012, 9:11 AM
A little OCD here!

Josh3239
04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
"Cleaning" =/= "Maintenance"

Exactly. This practice of cleaning immediately after shooting as little as 10 rounds is nothing more than a holdover from the days of unreliable weaponry and corrosive/dirty ammunition.

The advances in metallurgy, chrome lining and protective finishes, modern cartridges, and the near extinction of corrosive components has made stoppages or breakage from "dirtiness" extinct. If you had an old blackpowder rifle, yes you have to worry about failures because of dirt or fight rust.

I'm not interested in speeding up the aging process on my gun and I also don't want to find out how many consecutive shots I can fire before my rifle blows up in my face.

Wow, just wow. A large misunderstanding of how firearms operates mixed with refusing to accept facts right in front of your face and instead spreading FUD. :facepalm:

If your not interested in speeding up the aging process, don't shoot it at all. That is the fastest way to hurt your guns. Spoiler alert, gas pressures and heat will do far worse than anything else. And I'll bet everything I own that your constant cleanings with harsh chemicals, scratching with brushes, and scraping and pickings does far more harm than a thin layer of self-limiting carbon that does nothing.

Blows up in your face? What exactly do you think carbon is going to do? What is it? 1/1000th of an inch thick? It is self limiting, everytime the moving parts move it gets scrapped off. Believe it or not the metal is harder than the carbon, heck the brushes and scrapping tools you use are harder than the carbon and harder on the rifle parts.

There has never in the history of the AR-15, ever been a kaboom from carbon build up. This thread is proof that carbon does no harm, other members on ARF/Lightfighter/M4Carbine/etc are doing this, SWAT magazine has hired writers to do this including EAG Tactical owner and instructer Pat Rogers who put 50,000 rounds through his rifle, which by the way still operates better than the bottom feeder ARs and some GPUs that a lot of Calguns defends.

You can still keep a reliable rifle and maintain it and not clean it. Some of the practices of some members here is ridiculous. Scrapping carbon of the bolt tail using a $50 scrapper after 50 rounds, that is like getting your car an oil change after driving 5 miles.

I've noticed a lot of new members here that are just posting some ridiculous stuff and a lot of senior members here aren't anymore. Just saying.

verapakill
04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I haven't cleaned mine in a while I think I have about 800 rounds since I last cleaned it.

chead
04-13-2012, 1:07 PM
29 years ;)

But I'm going to pick one up today, so that should change shortly.

SIGSHOOTR
04-13-2012, 2:05 PM
Every 500+ rounds. What's more important is keeping it properly lubed.

orthopod
04-13-2012, 2:09 PM
Exactly. This practice of cleaning immediately after shooting as little as 10 rounds is nothing more than a holdover from the days of unreliable weaponry and corrosive/dirty ammunition.

The advances in metallurgy, chrome lining and protective finishes, modern cartridges, and the near extinction of corrosive components has made stoppages or breakage from "dirtiness" extinct. If you had an old blackpowder rifle, yes you have to worry about failures because of dirt or fight rust.

Wow, just wow. A large misunderstanding of how firearms operates mixed with refusing to accept facts right in front of your face and instead spreading FUD. :facepalm:

If your not interested in speeding up the aging process, don't shoot it at all. That is the fastest way to hurt your guns. Spoiler alert, gas pressures and heat will do far worse than anything else. And I'll bet everything I own that your constant cleanings with harsh chemicals, scratching with brushes, and scraping and pickings does far more harm than a thin layer of self-limiting carbon that does nothing.

Blows up in your face? What exactly do you think carbon is going to do? What is it? 1/1000th of an inch thick? It is self limiting, everytime the moving parts move it gets scrapped off. Believe it or not the metal is harder than the carbon, heck the brushes and scrapping tools you use are harder than the carbon and harder on the rifle parts.

There has never in the history of the AR-15, ever been a kaboom from carbon build up. This thread is proof that carbon does no harm, other members on ARF/Lightfighter/M4Carbine/etc are doing this, SWAT magazine has hired writers to do this including EAG Tactical owner and instructer Pat Rogers who put 50,000 rounds through his rifle, which by the way still operates better than the bottom feeder ARs and some GPUs that a lot of Calguns defends.

You can still keep a reliable rifle and maintain it and not clean it. Some of the practices of some members here is ridiculous. Scrapping carbon of the bolt tail using a $50 scrapper after 50 rounds, that is like getting your car an oil change after driving 5 miles.

I've noticed a lot of new members here that are just posting some ridiculous stuff and a lot of senior members here aren't anymore. Just saying.

I appreciate the straight talk. If it wasn't for Calguns members like you I would be cleaning my firearms all the time now I will get to enjoy more time shooting and will only clean when the OCD gets too bad:)

Merc1138
04-13-2012, 2:30 PM

I wouldn't even say it's the senior members(not just talking about titles under usernames), rather the knowledgeable people slowly getting driven off while others are bringing back these folktales of break in, how to deal with corrosive ammo, how often guns really need to be cleaned, complaining about personal OCD issues when someone tries to mention that you can do a few hundred rounds without fiddling with the gun, etc.

stix213
04-13-2012, 2:34 PM
I've never disassembled the bolt/bolt carrier for a proper cleaning, and I've only done a quick cleaning once, but this rifle only has about 1k rounds through it of brown bear.

tacticalcity
04-13-2012, 2:39 PM

That's not my motivation at all. I'm not worried about corrossion, somebody else said that. Build up on the otherhand does concern me. The rifle is considerably easier to clean if you clean it each time. The build-up does not get caked on or harden to the point that you need a damn jack hammer to get it off. I don't have to use harsh chemicals that make lungs feel like I'm burning off 30 layers of skin if I accidentally get a wiff. It takes only a few minutes of my time, and it is worth it. I use smarth, modern tools and smarth modern cleaners to get the job does as quickly and painfree as possible and I know my guns will hold up for generations to come.

There are very practical and realistic and benefitial reasons for why take such great care of my weapons. I run them extremely hard during training, and I take damn good care of them. As a result, they take good care of me.

If you don't want to take that level of care of your weapons that's fine with me. But it seems like you're trying to say I and others are stupid for wanting to. That makes no sense.

AfghanVetOrcutt
04-13-2012, 3:17 PM
After being in the Army for 5 1/2 years and doing 2 deployments to Afghanistan I clean all of my weapons immediately after shooting them. That's just the way I was taught and that's just what's been pounded into my head so I go with it.

Dhena81
04-13-2012, 3:18 PM
Not directed at anyone but I just wanted to say or clarify in case some readers can't exactly see what's the difference. While it's fine to run a weapon dirty and not clean your gun there's a difference between running it dirty and running it dry.

NO WEAPON should be run dry if given a choice I'm not saying I've seen anyone in this thread suggest that. But if you don't want to clean your firearm after your range sessions just make sure you keep it lubed.

milotrain
04-13-2012, 3:33 PM
Most I've gone is 200 rounds

brownfeathermedic
04-13-2012, 3:56 PM
I'd better get to it, My range day in Dulzura ended with a case being Jammed in the AR. I'd also better lube it up. I felt bad letting it go so long between shoots. When it does jam, practice with your sidearm.

hornswaggled
04-13-2012, 4:37 PM
which by the way still operates better than the bottom feeder ARs and some GPUs that a lot of Calguns defends.

Colt/DD/Noveske versus everything else thread, now. Go!

glock7
04-14-2012, 2:49 PM
Went over a 1000 rounds without and it ran fine, when I looked at the bolt, and it was caked I decided to clean it. Took forever, fortunately my buddy gifted me a bolt cleaner(ggg) and its a breeze. I decided to clean it after every other range trip, just because.👍

scuds03
04-14-2012, 9:02 PM
So you only clean on Christmas and Easter? :)

Haha by that I meant religiously! I'm always afraid my squad leader is gonna stick his pinky in my star chamber in my sleep and then hem me up for it being dirty.

scuds03
04-14-2012, 9:03 PM
Just realized how funny my last post sounds when taken the wrong way lmao

advan031
04-14-2012, 9:05 PM
800 rounds...lol but I do soak it with WD40 after.

amd64
04-15-2012, 1:51 PM
I clean every 500 to 1000 rounds. Reason being more to safety-inspect rather than clean.

tdyoung1958
04-15-2012, 2:25 PM
I clean mine every year on Independence Day while watching The Patriot . . . waiting for the day

:rolleyes:

actually I clean it about twice a year, but will probably more since I moved to this climate and the increased humidity

MrPlink
04-15-2012, 3:15 PM
Just realized how funny my last post sounds when taken the wrong way lmao

no idea what you mean ;)

I'm always afraid my squad leader is gonna stick his pinky in my star chamber in my sleep and then hem me up for it being dirty.

:eek: