PDA

View Full Version : Sig 716 rifle -

acaligunner
04-11-2012, 9:41 PM
Anyone have a S716, what do you think about it. How is the Quality/Relaibility/Accuracy.

Family member wants to get one, I don't really like Sig products, does this rifle prove me wrong? How is the Rifle.

acaligunner

unusedusername
04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I just finished looking at the 516 vs the 556 myself.

As far as fit and finish, the Sigs are close to top tier, but not quite as nice as a LWRC or a LaRue. Of course, those are both much more expensive guns then the 716 (or 516) so not exactly a fair comparison.

The 716/516 is a really nice piston AR, but enough of the parts are custom that replacements would be a pain. Sig won't mail replacement parts, you have to send them the upper if you need a new bolt carrier, which is kind of a pain.

I wound up going with the 556 instead because even though they still require it to be mailed in for parts, the parts lifetimes on the 55x series is much longer then on the 51x/71x series.

acaligunner
04-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info, it's weird things like not
Sending parts out, that make me worried about dealing with Sig, maybe I'll tell him to pass.
acaligunner

RT13
04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
It's a very nice piece of machinery. The 516 has received great reviews and the 716 is basically an AR10 version derived from the 516 with some improvements over the 516 platform, at least according to the knowledgable Sig reviewers and aficionados. So far it has received excellent reviews except from the usual few AR purists/haters over at ARF.com who has never handled one. Ive been eyeballing this since shotshow but I don't think anyone here has received a shipment yet. I'm on the list for one and am very excited to get mine. A piston driven AR10 for under $2k is just too good of a deal to pass up especially from a company like Sig. I know Sig has gotten a bad rap in recent years, I for one being a harsh critic of theirs. But I honestly think they are and have turned things around. I stopped buying anything Sig in the last five years or so until I started hearing good things again. I did with their 556 line, gave them a chance and my 556 is flawless with zero problems and none of the plague problems they once came with. My buddy bought a 516 and another the M400 and both are well built and flawless. As for parts not being mailed out by Sig if it's really true, hopefully that changes in the future, but I think the 716 is a great gun and worth gambling on.

acaligunner
04-12-2012, 7:10 AM
Thank you RT 13, the 716 seems like a nice rifle. It looks like they offer a lot of extra options at a good price.

Kinda hard justifying a 3k + rifle to my other half. Don't get me wrong--I would gladly pay for
A LaRue/Scar. But at this point I'm Waiting to drop the hammer.

Anyways thanks for the info.

acaligunner

bighead
04-12-2012, 8:04 AM
Sig has sent me parts on a 522, I wonder why they wouldnt send them on my 516?Top tier nonsense aside I love my 516, it shoots relatively soft,its accurate for what I want it to do and it absolutely eats every type of ammo without hesitation.It also passed very similar testing subjected to the LWRC.All for much less money.Top tier doesn't exist, but frugality does so I would buy what you can afford.