PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14: Has Ruger ever considered........

GunDog
04-11-2012, 7:34 PM
redesigning their Mini-14 rifles to accept a standard M-16/AR-15 (STANAG) magazine vs their proprietary mags?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STANAG_magazine

Secondly, has any gunsmith or after-market company ever taken it upon themselves to successfully modify a Ruger Mini-14 receiver to accept standard M16 mags?

Just thought it would be awesome if we could use legally possessed 20 and 30 round M16 mags in a featureless Mini 14 much like the Benelli MR1 rifle? Surely this must have been considered at some time.

mif_slim
04-11-2012, 7:38 PM
Or have they ever reconcider redesigning it to be more accurate? Lol

Mossy Man
04-11-2012, 7:42 PM

they did consider it, and carry their plan out. several years ago, in fact. 581-series with the heavier barrels are significantly more accurate and consistent than their older pencil barrel brethren.

They will probably match any entry-level AR

Donk310
04-11-2012, 7:44 PM
I don't think they have.

Oneaudiopro
04-11-2012, 7:45 PM

They are accurate....................just depends which on which one you have, and how good the guy behind the trigger is.

Mossy Man
04-11-2012, 7:46 PM
to add a little to this, there was one magazine manufacturer many years ago who made a magazine that was compatible with both rifles. I don't remember the name.

I also doubt ruger would ever sell anything that is compatible with other weapons' magazines, since they seem to love all of their products being proprietary.

you can't even buy a factory barrel from them.

russ69
04-11-2012, 7:51 PM
You are totally missing the point, it's a mini-14 not a mini-14 except for the magazine. The M16 magazine functions totally different. The Ruger captures the function of a M14.

TKM
04-11-2012, 7:54 PM
to add a little to this, there was one magazine manufacturer many years ago who made a magazine that was compatible with both rifles. I don't remember the name.

I also doubt ruger would ever sell anything that is compatible with other weapons' magazines, since they seem to love all of their products being proprietary.

I have one of those lying around somewhere.

I think it was Ramline. Tended to spit cartridges just lying there.

Load thirty,hear a noise, look for two.

Bobby Ricigliano
04-11-2012, 8:12 PM
I like my Mini and it shoots fine. I wonder how many people base their 'opinions' on the Mini's supposed crap accuracy and poor quality on what they've read on the Internet, as opposed to actual experience with the weapon.

bohoki
04-11-2012, 8:16 PM
yea i had a ramline mag what worked in teh mini 14,ar-15 and ar-180 lets just say it didnt work well in any one of them the spring was weak and wouldn't activate the bolt hold open on the ar-15 but it was a neat idea if they used a better plastic and a better spring

it would take quite a major redesign as a matter of fact i think they did do the redesign and the new gun is the sr-556

Mossy Man
04-11-2012, 8:24 PM
I like my Mini and it shoots fine. I wonder how many people base their 'opinions' on the Mini's supposed crap accuracy and poor quality on what they've read on the Internet, as opposed to actual experience with the weapon.

i have experienced first hand the accuracy issues of the mini.

WHen i first got the mini (196), it shot maybe 4" groups at 100 yards, and then after about 2 magazines, it would open up to maybe 10".

after I put on the accu-strut, groups stayed about the same initially, maybe slightly better, but they didn't open up NEARLY as bad.

added the ventilated handguard and i think that helps a little too with heat dissipation.

so i'd say a 196 with just the strut is a 3-4 moa weapon @ 100 yards.....maybe high 4s with a heated barrel.

i'm sure the newere barrels are better.

damon1272
04-11-2012, 9:06 PM

Well my actual opinion of mine was that it was a POS. The concept is great, the execution of that rifle sucks and it shows in the 6-8" shot pattern @ 100 yards. Sold it, bought an AR and did not look back.

phamkl
04-11-2012, 9:38 PM
[okay, so I'm wrong.]

Like others have said, the two rifles perform on different actions. Most STANAG semi-compliant rifles (G36 mag =/= M16 mag =/= L85 mag... they're all slightly or very different) have a fairly similar bolt, while the Mini 14 has a [not a tilting bolt, woops.] I don't know if that has any effect on the feeding per the magazines but it could be why those Ramline mags spit out their rounds.

More importantly is that the mag release is pretty different so while the overall shape is similar, where the mag interacts with the release is almost incompatible or simply not worth the hassle.

bohoki
04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Like others have said, the two rifles perform on different actions. Most STANAG semi-compliant rifles (G36 mag =/= M16 mag =/= L85 mag... they're all slightly or very different) have a fairly similar bolt, while the Mini 14 has a tilting bolt. I don't know if that has any effect on the feeding per the magazines but it could be why those Ramline mags spit out their rounds.

More importantly is that the mag release is pretty different so while the overall shape is similar, where the mag interacts with the release is almost incompatible or simply not worth the hassle.

the ruger bolt rotates

the ruger magazine has a mag lock nub on the follwer located to the rear and to the left it is a rock and lock design like the m14.ak,fal

in order to use the same bolt hold open of the stanag mag it would need a sks type bolt hold open in the place of the magazine release

also the front of the magazine on a mini is narrower and the cage on the mini 14 would have to be widened

it would be possible but it would be a complete redesign

it would be more trouble than converting an sks to an ak magazine

and by the way nobody is going to make the mini 30 use ak mags either

Bhobbs
04-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Why doesn't the Mini 14 take AR mags? Because it wasn't designed to. The Mini mags and AR mags lock up in completely different ways.

Merc1138
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
If you want a Ruger semi auto rifle in 5.56 that can use AR mags, they make one:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556/index.html (and you can make it featureless too)

They have no reason to redesign the mini14 to take AR mags.

edit: To clarify further why it's pointless for them

Cost to design it.
Cost to test it.
Cost to change manufacturing to produce it.
Cost to keep inventory for a new set of parts(have to keep both in stock now for warranty).
Cost of customer service(now you've got your service department working on an extra model, takes time to get efficient at working on things).
Reduced sales of original mag models plus increased costs from new mag models(selling the same amount of rifles but having double the cost internally).
Cost of marketing(product launch, increased ad space to sell both rifles, or re-designing ads to include both models).
etc.

MrPlink
04-11-2012, 10:13 PM
question is a bit of an anacrhonism

keep in mind when the Mini14 was designed the AR15 pattern in civilian hands was not as ubiquitous as it is now.

duc748bip
04-12-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm thinking a injected molded stock with an ugly extended magwell. I'll let the real expert take it from there.

kellanmeigh
04-12-2012, 6:46 AM
I do see the reasoning for wanting to use Ar mags in a Mini- they are cheaper and you can have a common magazine for two platforms.

Alas, why would you want to modify and jack up what's probably the perfect knock-around rifle? Just my humble opinion, but the Mini-XX platform fits my definition of an all around rifle better.

Also, no need to school LEOs on the legality of possession of said rifle. Cops tend to be able to identify a Mini-XX as a sporting rifle.

Just my 0.02 USD worth. YMMV.

:43:

HK Dave
04-12-2012, 8:00 AM
If Ruger did this and made it take down, I'd be all over that!

gorenut
04-12-2012, 9:31 AM
Seems like the rifle community is really fixated on rifles taking AR mags to the point where it'll dictate whether certain individuals will purchase a specific rifle. You don't see people not buying a Sig or FNP because it doesn't take Glock mags. I understand AR mags are cheap and abundant plus many people already have bucketloads of them, but the days of Mini 14 mags costing $50 for a 10 rounder is gone. I've often seen factory Ruger mags go for around $20 which I think is a reasonable price for a high quality mag. Not to mention, you get a Ruger factory mag, that thing is going to last forever.

I do admit.. it does suck looking at some bolt-action rifles and seeing something like having to pay $50+ for a 3 round magazine.

Also would like to add.. Tapco makes higher capacity magazines that run even less than $20 and they're getting great reviews for the second gen.

HK Dave
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Well in my case, it's because I have a boatload of pre-ban AR mags... the mini-14, not so much. :(

VaderSpade
04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I have 6 of those old Ramline mags, and they seem to work pretty well in my AR's. I'm lucky enough to also have a good stash of 30 rd Colt mags from the 80's so I haven't used the Ramlines much.

Merc1138
04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Seems like the rifle community is really fixated on rifles taking AR mags to the point where it'll dictate whether certain individuals will purchase a specific rifle. You don't see people not buying a Sig or FNP because it doesn't take Glock mags. I understand AR mags are cheap and abundant plus many people already have bucketloads of them, but the days of Mini 14 mags costing $50 for a 10 rounder is gone. I've often seen factory Ruger mags go for around $20 which I think is a reasonable price for a high quality mag. Not to mention, you get a Ruger factory mag, that thing is going to last forever.

I do admit.. it does suck looking at some bolt-action rifles and seeing something like having to pay $50+ for a 3 round magazine.

Also would like to add.. Tapco makes higher capacity magazines that run even less than $20 and they're getting great reviews for the second gen.

Because AR mags are cheap, and for people that have tons of large capacity AR mags they may want more than 1 rifle to use them in if they didn't happen to have large capacity mini-14 mags.

Cypriss32
04-12-2012, 11:55 AM
If Ruger did this and made it take down, I'd be all over that!

I love seeing this....... They will make there whole lines based on what you THINK you need or want? Makes sence.......

jwb28
04-12-2012, 4:00 PM
Ram Line, but they didn't work that great.

Bhobbs
04-12-2012, 4:15 PM
Because AR mags are cheap, and for people that have tons of large capacity AR mags they may want more than 1 rifle to use them in if they didn't happen to have large capacity mini-14 mags.

The way the mags lock into the rifle would have to be completely changed for AR mags to work in the Mini. Plus the bolt hold open would have to be redesigned to work with AR mags. It doesn't make sense to redesign the entire receiver just so people can use different mags.

Anyone that says Ruger should do this should by the MR1. It is a featureless rifle that takes AR mags.

Merc1138
04-12-2012, 5:46 PM
The way the mags lock into the rifle would have to be completely changed for AR mags to work in the Mini. Plus the bolt hold open would have to be redesigned to work with AR mags. It doesn't make sense to redesign the entire receiver just so people can use different mags.

Anyone that says Ruger should do this should by the MR1. It is a featureless rifle that takes AR mags.

Yeah, I said that. Read the whole thread.

ClarenceBoddicker
04-12-2012, 7:45 PM
There is a reason that Ruger won't sell their 30rd AC-556 mags to the general public. Ruger is a anti-gun company. They don't want non LE/military people to have hi-caps that will fit their "sporting" rifles. In fact Bill Ruger proposed banning even the possession of all (even grandfathered) hi-caps before the 1994 AWB was passed. I bet that if someone made an adapter that would let you use STANG mags in a mini-14, Ruger would sue them. Ruger tried suing John Norell back in the day for making his 10/22 full auto conversion packs. I can't understand why anyone would support an anti-gun gun manufacturer.

Merc1138
04-12-2012, 7:52 PM
There is a reason that Ruger won't sell their 30rd AC-556 mags to the general public. Ruger is a anti-gun company. They don't want non LE/military people to have hi-caps that will fit their "sporting" rifles. In fact Bill Ruger proposed banning even the possession of all (even grandfathered) hi-caps before the 1994 AWB was passed. I bet that if someone made an adapter that would let you use STANG mags in a mini-14, Ruger would sue them. Ruger tried suing John Norell back in the day for making his 10/22 full auto conversion packs. I can't understand why anyone would support an anti-gun gun manufacturer.

Because Bill Ruger has been dead for years and the recent models released by Ruger including factory 25rd mags for the 10/22 are an obvious sign in that the thought process used to make decisions by the leadership of the company has changed? Do I even have to point out the SR-556?

Smith and Wesson also had a similar deal supporting parts of the AWB among other things, and that 10 year old article about how S&W is an anti-2a company still keeps floating around and getting posted on calguns even though the company has not only been making AR-15s for a while but even has factory models equipped with BBs for easy sale in CA(and by doing so converted some anti EBR retailers in this state to change their tune).

Complaining about the decisions of a dead man who used to run a company that has now changed direction, is like complaining that Walt Disney was a supposed anti-semite when it no longer matters.

3GunFunShooter
04-12-2012, 8:01 PM
30 & 20 round Ruger Mini 14 mags are available and have been for a few years, in free
states. www.perfectunion.com is the source for information on the MINI 14/30/6.8.

Shadowhawk012
04-12-2012, 8:11 PM
Want a sporting rifle, w/o a bullet button, and takes ar-15 mags...?

The Kel-tec su-16ca already does that, plus it has a rail for optics and folds.

Just my 2 cents :)

gorenut
04-12-2012, 8:49 PM

Unfortunately the MR1 is a 1200 rifle that is give or take about the same accuracy as the Mini. I really wanted one but I think it doesn't offer enough for its price. If one at a good price comes around, I'd still want it.

Oneaudiopro
04-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I can't understand why anyone would support an anti-gun gun manufacturer.

Is that like a celebate prostitute??