PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my first AR/AK!!

Plinkster100
04-11-2012, 6:56 PM
I've been contemplating building or buying an assault rifle, albeit with the proper restrictions. Nonetheless, here's what I was sort of thinking of buying or building AK74 (http://www.slickguns.com/california-guns?a=5728&k=other)

Or should I build my own?

Thanks!

jbush
04-11-2012, 7:05 PM
I've been contemplating building or buying an assault rifle, albeit with the proper restrictions. Nonetheless, here's what I was sort of thinking of buying or building AK74 (http://www.slickguns.com/california-guns?a=5728&k=other)

Or should I build my own?

Thanks!

I believe only the military has assault rifles.

Dhena81
04-11-2012, 7:20 PM
Assault rifles are a fully automatic or burst fire capable rifle that fire an intermediate cartridge.

A semi-automatic self loading centerfire rifle is not an assault rifle.

tujungatoes
04-11-2012, 9:22 PM
Ok Since the obligatory smarta** hairsplitting answers are already out of the way. BTW guys there are thousands of RAW's(AKA Registered Assault Weapons) that are not only semi-automatic but owned by civilians here in CA. The terminology is what it is deal with it.

The arsenal rifles are a pretty good deal considering the ammount of parts and labor put into them. They're solid reliable guns. I don't necessarily think they're as awesome as some people do, but still very good guns. There are also a number of other manufacturers out there so you may want to shop around and decide what you like best. If you just wanna buy one I say go for it.

If you want to build your own I still say go for it.:D Keep in mind it can be alot of work and generally won't save you any money, but it is IMO a hell of alot of fun and will give you a much better understanding/appreciation of your rifle. It all depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

Whatever you do just stay away from Inter Ordinance. Beyond that you really can't go wrong.

Dhena81
04-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Ok Since the obligatory smarta** hairsplitting answers are already out of the way. BTW guys there are thousands of RAW's(AKA Registered Assault Weapons) that are not only semi-automatic but owned by civilians here in CA. The terminology is what it is deal with it.

The arsenal rifles are a pretty good deal considering the ammount of parts and labor put into them. They're solid reliable guns. I don't necessarily think they're as awesome as some people do, but still very good guns. There are also a number of other manufacturers out there so you may want to shop around and decide what you like best. If you just wanna buy one I say go for it.

If you want to build your own I still say go for it.:D Keep in mind it can be alot of work and generally won't save you any money, but it is IMO a hell of alot of fun and will give you a much better understanding/appreciation of your rifle. It all depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

Whatever you do just stay away from Inter Ordinance. Beyond that you really can't go wrong.

I don't want to argue with you. By your own words a California shooter can't own a CA branded assault weapon unless it is a RAW.

I say screw Arsenal and save $150 and go with LegionUSA.

http://legionusainc.com/

Legion USA, Inc. is a an importer of AK-based Saiga rifles and shotguns produced at the Russian Izhmash factory, as well as authentic Russian parts and accessories designed specifically for these firearms. Legionís headquarters are located in Izhevsk, Russia. The American division of our company, however, is situated in southern Florida in the city of Hallandale Beach.

Izhmash is a weapons manufacturer based in Izhevsk, Russia. It is the main supplier of the famous Kalashnikov series of assault rifles to the Russian army. Along with conventional firearms the factory makes a wide range of other weapons, such as: cannons, missiles and guided shells. Today it is the largest firearms producer in Russia.

Jason P
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Buy Saiga, convert!

MrPlink
04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
eh, at least he didnt ask about a "sniper rifle" :D

Im a big fan of DIY. Basic Saiga conversion is going to the easiest to tackle on your own.

Building from kit can be a bit trickier. Its getting more expensive these days, especially for a quality kit with a com bloc barrel being not as common as they once were. Can be rewarding, or can turn out a nightmare. Check out the gunsmithing forum and look into a good build party for the best possible results.

BASE45
04-12-2012, 12:19 AM
If an AR is an option, and you want to build(assemble) something that's not too challenging for the average person, go for that. del-ton makes some inexpensive quality kits from what i hear. Putting this rifle together will spark a desire to do more challenging builds like an AKs, well at least that's how its going for me. :p

Go with whatever rifle you like as of now. More than likely you'll end up with both in the future if you like the military style, semi auto, box mag feds.

jbush
04-12-2012, 1:03 AM
eh, at least he didnt ask about a "sniper rifle" :D

Just had to laugh.

03ephatch
04-12-2012, 1:19 AM

for me personally i went with a ppt deal. i've been known by my friends to not finish projects due to time constraints and change of priorities. i'm already fairly familiar with the 15. i have adequate knowledge as to what parts are needed. from the pins on the hammer up to the barrel, etc. i'd say, if you get a real good deal on a ppt rifle, go for it. otherwise, you will have to devote time and money to get everything together. almost 90% of my friends who own a 15 tell me to build it by myself. it would be great to do so, but i lack the tools, and the time, especially when i have a newborn to look after. i do plan on building a second one from scratch.