PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Howa 1500 Tactical 308 Tomorrow(04/12/12)

STI
04-11-2012, 5:31 PM
Tomorrow (04/12/12) I'm going to Turners and purchasing a Howa 1500 Tactical 308 they have on sale for $570, and a Marlin 1894C. Before I go through with it, I thought I would get some opinions on the Howa. This will be my first Bolt action. I'm more into run and gun type of shooting so I'm not sure how much I will enjoy shooting a bolt action, therefore I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I may decide is not for me. My biggest draw to the howa is the detachable 10rd mag and the price. I hate constant reloading so I would like to avoid rifles that only hold 3-4 rounds. For under a $1000 is there another decent bolt action with a detachable 10rd mag, or should I just go for the Howa?

baih777
04-11-2012, 6:06 PM
i bought a savage fcp-k for $769 when it was on sale. its heavy. it has accutrigger, accustock, fluted 24inch barrel and already threaded for muzzle brake. the bad. a 10 rd magazine is $138.00:eek:. got one on sale from midway for $113.00. my first bolt gun and very happy i spent the extra $200.00. it was cheaper than trying to add a muzzle brake later.
adding a scope is another lesson. everyone told me to buy the ER shaw rail. glad i did. rings and scope. depends on you.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

milotrain
04-11-2012, 6:14 PM
I don't love boltguns with magazines sticking out below them but that's just a personal thing. What do you want to do with the Howa? From all accounts it's a great rifle.

I love that marlin and have wanted one for a long time.

ishootblindfolded415
04-11-2012, 6:25 PM
i just bought the howa .223 varmint super combo for $683 out the door.. its the heavy bull barrel, its a free floated barrel, can get the 10rd clip combo for 100. but ehh who needs it.. i pick it up this sunday.. im super excited.. from everything ive read on these guns, that its the top of the line gun however its competition is the rem 700 but most rem buyers buy the guns because they are american made, there are many people who have shot both and prefer the howa, some say its the best bolt action gun they have ever shot. but i liked the feel of the howa ALOT more than the rem. but just a preference thing and it is also much cheaper than the rem 700 :)

STI
04-11-2012, 6:30 PM
I don't love boltguns with magazines sticking out below them but that's just a personal thing. What do you want to do with the Howa? From all accounts it's a great rifle.

I love that marlin and have wanted one for a long time.

I want to practice "precision" shooting, see how small I can get my groups and be able to repeatedly hit all the steel targets at Angeles shooting range.

Divernhunter
04-11-2012, 6:41 PM
The Howa will serve you well. The Savage would also if priced right since you are comparing cost. Both rifles are excellent. Howa makes the Vanguard barreled actions for the Weatherby Vanguard rifles also.

STI
04-11-2012, 6:43 PM
i bought a savage fcp-k for $769 when it was on sale. its heavy. it has accutrigger, accustock, fluted 24inch barrel and already threaded for muzzle brake. the bad. a 10 rd magazine is $138.00:eek:. got one on sale from midway for $113.00. my first bolt gun and very happy i spent the extra $200.00. it was cheaper than trying to add a muzzle brake later.
adding a scope is another lesson. everyone told me to buy the ER shaw rail. glad i did. rings and scope. depends on you.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Wow, that is a nice rifle, but $113 for a magazine! The Howa mags are $40. I wish the Howa had a threaded barrel though. Thanks for showing me this model, I had looked on their website but was overwhelmed by all the different models that I lost interest in them.

pat4wd
04-11-2012, 6:59 PM
I owned the fcp-k.. It was a sub MOA rifle, But I will admit that the accutrigger and accustock are gimmcks for the most part, Also I felt the Brake that came stock was ineffective.. Never changed it out but that rifle had the same recoil as my SPS and tikka scout sitting next to it without the brakes.. As far as the Gimmik comment I believe both the Accutrigger and the Accustock may may make a slight difference but just give me a good trigger and a nicely bedded stock and I am happy.. Don't need little blades hanging off my trigger.. It will sell them more rifles for sure to the beginner guy getting into rifles..
I have found that my 700 sps tac and Tikka were better shooting rifles in this instance with the same ammo.. Ended up keeping the Tikka scout as it was the best for me no questions asked.. Very impressed with the Howas too but have not done anything other than hold them..

peter95
04-11-2012, 7:01 PM
Shot that howa before and it was awesome and accurate. You won't regret it. Howas has the smoothest action too!

Bug Guy
04-11-2012, 7:11 PM
the HOWA is a nice piece i have the 30-06 and love it

jptopz
04-11-2012, 7:44 PM
Building a Howa right now! One of the best rifles for the money!

STI
04-11-2012, 9:14 PM
Ok I feel a lot better about my purchase tomorrow, thanks!

Pete1979
04-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I have a Remington SPS TAC in 308 which is my personal favorite over both the savage and the Howa but my 223 is a Howa 1500 varmint. The Howa has a very nice fit and finish, for the money its a great rifle. The trigger was a little strange (Creeeeeep) but a little filing and stoning fixed it right up which is more than I can say for my remmy's X-mark which got replaced with a riflebasix unit...