PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Gripped Bolt Action Magazine Capacity??

Infidel
04-11-2012, 2:26 PM
A friend of mine is looking at the Accuracy Intl AX-338, and someone said that it wasn't Ca legal. FUD???

What is the Ca legal magazine capacity for a Pistol gripped bolt action with detachable mags?

Thanks!

kwansao
04-11-2012, 2:49 PM
I guess with a bolt gun the pistol grip and mag are ok.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Max capacity 10 rounds

stix213
04-11-2012, 2:58 PM
10 round capacity for magazine purchases doesn't matter what kind of gun its attached to, unless its a tube fed rimfire.

Bolt action rifles themselves cannot be considered assault weapons, regardless of mag capacity or pistol grips.

Two separate laws.

The gun you linked looks totally legal here to me. What did this "someone" say was a problem with it?

CHS
04-11-2012, 3:12 PM
A friend of mine is looking at the Accuracy Intl AX-338, and someone said that it wasn't Ca legal. FUD???

It's 100% California-legal.

What is the Ca legal magazine capacity for a Pistol gripped bolt action with detachable mags?

You can no longer purchase magazines of ANY capacity greater than 10rd's legally in CA, nor may you manufacture or import such magazines.

IF you already possess magazines of a capacity greater than 10rd's you can use them in any firearm they are legal to use in. You must have possessed these magazines in CA before the year 2000 started.

If you are LEO, you can continue to purchase, import, or manufacture magazines of a capacity greater than 10rds, and may also keep and continue to use those magazines after you retire.

The magazine ban is an entirely separate area of law that has (almost) NOTHING to do with firearms, except for the obvious part. No part of the magazine ban governs use or the types of firearms applicable to (except for lever-action or any rimfire tube-fed firearms).

With that said.

The firearm you linked to is a bolt-action rifle that is not covered by any of CA's "special" laws like the assault weapons ban or the .50BMG ban. There is absolutely no law in CA that limits the capacity of magazine that you can use in that rifle.

So, to answer THIS question accurately:

There is no limit to the size of the magazine you can use in that firearm, but you also can no longer purchase, manufacture, or import magazines greater than 10rd's unless you are LEO or an FFL with a large-capacity magazine permit.

bomb_on_bus
04-11-2012, 8:34 PM
makes you kinda wish they had hi cap bolt action magazines huh. But then try imaging shooting 338lapua out of a 20 round or even a 30 round mag LOL. I haven't heard anything above 10 magazines offered for most bolt actions that I have seen.

CHS
04-11-2012, 8:49 PM
makes you kinda wish they had hi cap bolt action magazines huh. But then try imaging shooting 338lapua out of a 20 round or even a 30 round mag LOL. I haven't heard anything above 10 magazines offered for most bolt actions that I have seen.

For the 338, yeah, I really can't imagine sitting back and tossing 30rd's downrange in a session. Ouch.

However, there are other situations where it's totally useful. There's a company that makes bottom-metal for Remington 700 short-action's in .223 that accepts mini-14 mags. If you're out in Colorado doing some prairie dog varminting, a 20rd magazine would make the day go by easier and faster :)

Merc1138
04-11-2012, 8:57 PM

It's not .338 lapua, but you can stick those 60 and 100 round surefire AR mags in a Mossberg MVP(maybe also a beta c mag, dunno how the fit would be with the stock though).
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Mossberg_mvp.jpg