View Full Version : savage 110 action feels like sandpaper

04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Back Story: Unable to afford the Sako TRG42, I settled for the Savage 110 in 338 Lapua. Aside from looking like an ugly stick that's been spayed black, the rifle came with a lot of goodies: picatinny rails, muzzle brake, cable gun lock, and even a stupid sticker on the butt for me to peel-off.

I was content until I cycled the bolt. The experience is comparable to the punishment of when you fall off your bike and onto the sidewalk. After ruining a good pair jeans, I've slapped some grease on rail and tried again. But unless i angle the bolt in certain way when i pull it... it still feel like it's dragging on something.

Question: I'm thinking about polishing the bolt and the inside for receiver with some fine-grit-sand paper or something. Any tips? or words of caution? I'm used to the glass action of my Tikka sporting/hunting rifle; is it unfair to expect a similar level of smoothness in rifle that is not designed for similar application?

04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
yikes. I wanted to post this in the gunsmithing section. plz move this thread.

04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Mine feels the same way, gritty but you'll get over it quick once you see the results downrange (knock on wood)!

04-11-2012, 12:49 PM
The bolt drags on the magazine follower. Worry about the tiny groups downrange, not how slick it may or may not feel. Proof is in performance.

04-11-2012, 1:17 PM
It's not an issue unless you have junk built up on the bolt or receiver. Don't think about it and focus on those groups. I love my savvy.

04-11-2012, 3:57 PM
I bought recently a new Savage 10PC (.308 ).

The Bolt cycling feel is silk-smooth...

In your case, it may be as ARMY sez above; that the bolt drags on the Magazine Follower.

Maybe you should consider getting some Snap-Caps in your rifle's caliber, and cycle them a few times to see if the Mag Follower is the issue..

I have a set of these pachmayr Snap-Caps and I use them at home often to practice my trigger discipline

04-11-2012, 4:03 PM
My savage fcp-k is not as smooth as a tikka either. But it has the features and price that worked for me.

04-11-2012, 6:01 PM
Also, Sharp Shooter Supply has new fluted bolt bodies that eliminate about 70% of bolt contact with the follower and ammunition. And they look very cool :)

I've that blue one on my LRPV, a purple on my BVSS, and a green one on the way for my 110FP. All match their stocks.

04-12-2012, 11:13 AM
actually after awhile, it feels alright. haha. maybe after I paint the stock green or tan...the action will feel even smoother. :D

04-25-2012, 5:19 PM
is anyone else surprised at how pleasant the recoil is? I was expecting something like my 300wsm hunting rifle, but it feels like a 308.