PDA

View Full Version : Picked up 10/22 Takedown

exp0zure
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Picked up my 10/22 Takedown from Turners yesterday! Looking forward to see how this little guy shoots. Also added a BSA Optics 4-12x40 Special Series scope. Thinking about adding a automatic bolt release and a mag release as well. Finish it off with an Alangator Trimag. Any other good mods?

And yes the bag does not fully close because of the scope.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/exp0zure/20120411_113230.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/exp0zure/20120411_113259.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/exp0zure/20120411_113336.jpg

warpedlogic
04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Very nice. I got mine last night and am very impressed by how tight this thing holds together. I'm not sure if I'm going to scope mine or not yet, but just doing practice aiming with the iron sights is difficult (when compared to my pistol). I need a scope that will allow it to fit in the bag though, if I did get one. lol!

BBJohnnyT
04-11-2012, 1:31 PM
Congrats. I also picked up mine yesterday. I just outfitted mine with a Williams rear peep and front firesight (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/846604/williams-wgrs-ru22-guide-receiver-peep-sight-set-with-fire-sight-ruger-10-22-aluminum-black). Works and looks great, far superior to the stock sights. It's also much lighter and fail-resistant than a scope, perfect for my BOB.

exp0zure
04-11-2012, 1:37 PM
Nice, I’ll look into that for a back up sight.

MrExel17
04-11-2012, 1:39 PM
Need me to get one!

warpedlogic
04-11-2012, 1:43 PM
Congrats. I also picked up mine yesterday. I just outfitted mine with a Williams rear peep and front firesight (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/846604/williams-wgrs-ru22-guide-receiver-peep-sight-set-with-fire-sight-ruger-10-22-aluminum-black). Works and looks great, far superior to the stock sights. It's also much lighter and fail-resistant than a scope, perfect for my BOB.

How do you mount those?

BBJohnnyT
04-11-2012, 1:51 PM
It's a great sight, very fast to get on target and doesn't block the lower half. And it makes for a longer, more accurate sight picture. You'll need a brass punch (3/16" or 1/4") to drift the stock front sight out of the dovetail and then drift the firesight in. Took me just 10 minutes to install using a proper punch. Here's a video of the process...

GviVYt0QlfU

It uses very small screws to make your windage and elevation adjustments, so you'll need a small screwdriver like those used for eyeglasses. Also, after about 50 rounds, the windage adjustment screw worked loose. No problem, once I dialed in the sight, I put a bit of low strength "purple" locktite on it. I used the regular strength "blue" locktite for the mounting the peep sight to the receiver. You can find that at any hardware or auto parts store. Some hardware stores will have brass punches, but if not, Amazon has them for under 7 bucks.

warpedlogic
04-11-2012, 2:00 PM
thanks for the great post! :thumbsup: What's the sight picture like with this? How fast is target acquisition? Would you use it for small game or is it just for target practice?

HilaryForPresident
04-11-2012, 2:09 PM
scope seems kinda excessive...

Rule .308
04-11-2012, 2:24 PM
The magnification is not too much but size wise it is just too darn big but I'll bet it is nice to shoot. I have not decided just what I want to do with the sights on my 10/22TD I picked up but I think it will be something fairly spartan. I already have Ultimate 10/22's with big honkin' scopes on them and it would seem to be kind of self defeating to bulk that sucker up with huge glass as it is a "take-down" model after all.

usmcchet9296
04-11-2012, 2:58 PM
NoDak makes a great sight rail combo for the 10/22
http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm
but the are out of stock

emsalex
04-11-2012, 4:57 PM
You already have an extended mag release!Unless you want the long ones that contour the triger guard

exp0zure
04-11-2012, 6:30 PM
scope seems kinda excessive...

Just a tad bit overkill

The magnification is not too much but size wise it is just too darn big but I'll bet it is nice to shoot. I have not decided just what I want to do with the sights on my 10/22TD I picked up but I think it will be something fairly spartan. I already have Ultimate 10/22's with big honkin' scopes on them and it would seem to be kind of self defeating to bulk that sucker up with huge glass as it is a "take-down" model after all.

Yeah I didnít realize how big the scope would be, might get a smaller one and use that for my AR.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-12-2012, 1:59 PM
Tech sights would be perfect for these! I liked the bag, though it seems a bit bigish!

libertyordeath
04-12-2012, 3:19 PM
Yeah I just seen this gun in today's ad looks cool. Gives us a update how she performs.

Excaliburr
04-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I see someone already commented that it already has a mag release. I think all new Ruger 10/22 come with that now. The auto bolt release is a must and easy to do it with the factory part//nothing to buy. Another must is a trigger job, especially since you will have the trigger assembly off of the receiver already. Now if you could have just picked a different scope, your gun would have still fit in the tactical bag that it came in. I put a weaver 4 power on mine and the front of the scope just barely passes the front of the receiver. It still fits in the pouch it came in inside that tactical bag and I can barely close the flap. It seems people are defeating the purpose of a survival rifle/take down. May as well just have a regular carbine for less money if you did not want to make this gun as compact as possible.

exp0zure
04-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah I’m definitely looking into a new scope now, I didn’t think the scope would be that big. Haha!

surgical
04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
I just mounted tech sights on my 10/22 and i have gotta say, wow! Te sight picture is your basic peep sight. Looks kinda like an ar (i got the adjustable rear sight, they make 2). Sighted it for 50 yards, threw 10 golf balls out in front of me, and knocked them all the to the end of the range. Best 70 bucks ive spent in a long time.

DinoPJR
04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
why does everyone add scopes and stuff before even shooting it stock? When i get my two I am gonna shoot the heck out of it with normal sights. Plus that is a huge scope for the takedown, can't even conceal it all in the bag. seems weird to me....

USAbodypilot
04-19-2012, 1:07 PM
Thanks to all your good info I went to Turners in FV today and all is complete. While they didn't have any in the FV store the helpful guy I dealt with called the warehouse and got me a serial number to start the DROS. The actual gun will show up in the store in a week and I can pick up in the good old 10 x 24 hours :-)

Calguns coupon accepted with no problems and the total out the door price was $341

Thanks again!

exp0zure
04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks to all your good info I went to Turners in FV today and all is complete. While they didn't have any in the FV store the helpful guy I dealt with called the warehouse and got me a serial number to start the DROS. The actual gun will show up in the store in a week and I can pick up in the good old 10 x 24 hours :-)

Calguns coupon accepted with no problems and the total out the door price was $341

Thanks again!

congrats!

exp0zure
04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Try the small scope(Tasco may be?) at Wal-mart. They're always on sale for $6.xx? lol. It serves the purpose of a survival rifle, I'd tell youL, lol...Last time, I put one of those on a Winchester 190(tube-fed) and shot the whole day @ A.S.R. without any problems out to 100yds :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion!

em9sredbeam
04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
How much did the gun run you?

surgical
04-20-2012, 1:37 PM
why does everyone add scopes and stuff before even shooting it stock? When i get my two I am gonna shoot the heck out of it with normal sights. Plus that is a huge scope for the takedown, can't even conceal it all in the bag. seems weird to me....

If you have crappy vision like me, the military sights are a life saver. The ring and post sights are very useful for someone with poor vision because your mind automatically centers the post, making it very intuitive. I cant hit crap with the stockers...

Btw, i love putting a giant scope on my 10/22!

JackRydden224
04-20-2012, 2:38 PM
Man, all this 10/22 TD talk is making me want one as well.

I don't have a single 10/22 so maybe this is a good time to pick one up?

frdman
04-20-2012, 3:28 PM
I started DROS this past Monday on a 10/22 TD because of all the talk on here.

exp0zure
04-24-2012, 2:26 PM
How much did the gun run you?

340 out the door I think. Donít have the receipt on hand.

BTW Iím looking at the Simmons scope from Turnerís, the little $40 dollar one. Thoughts?

exp0zure
05-17-2012, 5:19 PM
In case anyone is still wondering I went with the Simmons Truplex .22 Mag Riflescope (4X32, Matte). Just came in the mail and fits perfectly in the bag. Gonna take her out tomorrow!

bombadillo
06-06-2012, 4:23 PM
Just get QD rings that hold zero fairly well and pack it in.

echo884
06-06-2012, 7:57 PM
Just did the paperwork for a 10/22 TD also. Finally found one (unexpectedly) in a Big 5 up here in No. Cal. Does anyone know if the tech sights will get thrown off by the take-down feature?