PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts regarding SA SOCOM 16 M1A???

NewGuy1911
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi,
I do not have a clue about this rife/carbine. Just caught my attention. Would very much like to read your responses. Can this carbine hit beer (empty) cans at 100 yards? Would it be a good brush/pig type rifle? Would the Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 M1A require a steep learning curve? Would it be a pain to clean and shoot?

Many Thanks

gorenut
04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I really like how they look.. but if I were to get an M1A, I'd just go and get the Scout over the Socom.

greybeard
04-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Not a real problem to clean, pain to shoot that depends on what you are used to. Cans at 100 yards, how good are you and what ammo, you are using.

Travis590A1
04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
look on youtube...to my understanding they are gtg at 300 yards n beyond. Its been a while since I looked into them. I know they have a decent military track record.

r8dr rider
04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
I just picked up the Socom II...haven't shot it yet but its already my fav (and I have a good selection of rifles). I heard they are about 3 MOA with irons, so a beer can (empty of course) should be GTG. Many people recommend, he Scout due to the longer barrel but if you want a compact rifle with a punch then this is your rifle.

Vacaville
04-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Great rifle. Just beyond my budget.

Neptune
04-11-2012, 1:25 PM
Not cheap, really solid build, a little heavy on the front end balance wise, the front sight blade is wider than on standard models making small targets at distance hard to see, not the cheapest ammo around, reconfigured gas system that doesn't have interchangeable parts with standard models, and enough power to kill entire kegs of beer at 1000 yards. With the 16" barrel, try to keep your beer can kills within 500 yards. You can go longer distances more accurately by getting a longer barrel. They go up to 22" on traditional M1A models. More addictive than crack and heroin mixed together and served up in a Starbucks cup. If you buy this model, more will follow.

That about covers the basics.

__

b.faust
04-11-2012, 1:32 PM
Loud.

H2O MAN
04-11-2012, 1:40 PM
The SOCOM M1As that I have fired over the past several years have all been great... I decided I wanted one long ago, but I also wanted to run my sound suppressor on it so I waited for SEI's suppressor friendly SOCOM 16 muzzle device kit. It was worth the wait, but SEI also made their own 16.25" barrel available soon after so I ended up with a custom built CQB-16 EBR type SEI.

Back to the M1A, installing SEI's SOCOM 16 kit on a Springfield Armory, Inc. SOCOM 16 allows you to use a standard or NM front sight and gives you the choice of a flash hider, comp or brake. SEI also makes a higher volume SOCOM gas plug. These items make the stubbiest M1A a very capable rifle that gives up very little except long range reach when compared to the Scout and Standard.

I say go for it :)

Army
04-11-2012, 1:44 PM
An answer to a non-question.

While full of cool factor, the SOCOM retards the ability and reason of the M1A. If you need a rifle of that length, stick with a standard AR15 so you give up zero performance, and still hit as hard.

nitroxdiver
04-11-2012, 2:05 PM
There is a common misconception that the socom has a completely different gas system. A call to Springfield or an examination side by side with a scout or standard will prove otherwise. The gas port on the socom (and scout) is slightly larger than a standard. The barrel threads on a socom are different than on a standard or scout. The gas lock/muzzle brake/fsb is different than on a standard or scout. The gas piston, gas cylinder, cylinder plug, op rod, guide rod, spring, bolt, stock, and trigger group are all the same. The front sight is wider, and the rear apperature is larger in diameter. Old first gen socoms had 2 different types of gas plugs. They are now all the same for the last 6ish years.

It is a fine carbine length rifle that would serve you well as a pig gun IMHO. Hitting beer cans at 100yds would be limited not by the guns accuracy, but the thickness of the front sight and shooters ability.

Most will recommend a scout and I wouldn't disagree with that advise. The scout to me is prefered simply because of the sights. You also have a choice of changing out muzzle devices.

Have fun.

NewGuy1911
04-11-2012, 2:27 PM
Great responses!!!

Thanks

luchador768
04-11-2012, 2:28 PM
Whatchu got against beer cans?

nitroxdiver
04-11-2012, 2:56 PM
I forgot to add. Over at m14forum.com you can find a gold mine of information there. People that literally and figuratively wrote the book on the m1A. They are a ton of fun to shoot, just getting pricey to feed though. Best of luck, I doubt you'd be disappointed with any model.

Hoop
04-11-2012, 3:24 PM
If loud, low velocity and 2-3MOA groups are fine the socom is a good rifle.

r8dr rider
04-11-2012, 3:45 PM
^you forgot to add heavy, hard hitting, no BB needed, pre ban hi cap compatible and BADASS.....then yes its a great rifle

NewGuy1911
04-11-2012, 5:24 PM
Thanks Nitrodriver, will check-it out.

MrPlink
04-11-2012, 6:24 PM
big boom and short barrel, what is not to like?
Not a precision gun by any standard, but still "combat accurate" really.

H2O MAN
04-12-2012, 4:20 AM
There is a common misconception that the socom has a completely different gas system. A call to Springfield or an examination side by side with a scout or standard will prove otherwise. The gas port on the socom (and scout) is slightly larger than a standard. The barrel threads on a socom are different than on a standard or scout. The gas lock/muzzle brake/fsb is different than on a standard or scout. The gas piston, gas cylinder, cylinder plug, op rod, guide rod, spring, bolt, stock, and trigger group are all the same. The front sight is wider, and the rear apperature is larger in diameter. Old first gen socoms had 2 different types of gas plugs. They are now all the same for the last 6ish years.

Correct.

Most will recommend a scout and I wouldn't disagree with that advise. The scout to me is prefered simply because of the sights. You also have a choice of changing out muzzle devices.

The 18.0" Bush, Scout and MK14 are also my favorite general purpose - do most everything very well M1A/M1A variants.

AragornElessar86
04-12-2012, 4:49 AM
I was saving for one until I saw the Saiga .308. Same general size, waaay less recoil, and 1/3 the price. Just about as accurate too. Also a good bit lighter. Check one out before buying a SOCOM. Doesn't have the wow factor looks-wise, but it beats it almost everywhere else.

nyc71
04-12-2012, 7:58 AM
I own both the Scout & SOCOM, between the two the ladder comes out to play more frequently.

"Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy"- Alexander Hamilton

r8dr rider
04-12-2012, 8:56 AM
Saiga has less recoil? How it doesn't have a muzzle break.

AragornElessar86
04-12-2012, 9:02 AM

I have no idea, but my father in law's SOCOM definitely kicks waaay more than my Saiga. For that matter so does his National Match. I've shot both side by side and still have a hard time believing it.

greybeard
04-12-2012, 9:12 AM
Is not the Saiga, a 7.62 x39 mm compared to the Nato round of 7.62 x 51 mm. More power, more recoil.

Hoop
04-12-2012, 9:53 AM
I was saving for one until I saw the Saiga .308. Same general size, waaay less recoil, and 1/3 the price. Just about as accurate too. Also a good bit lighter. Check one out before buying a SOCOM. Doesn't have the wow factor looks-wise, but it beats it almost everywhere else.

The 16" saiga 308 is probably MORE accurate. I hate the feel of those hunting style AK's though so if I had one I'd convert it and then just live with a bullet button or monsterman grip.

r8dr rider
04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Is not the Saiga, a 7.62 x39 mm compared to the Nato round of 7.62 x 51 mm. More power, more recoil.

I meant Saiga 308 vs Socom. I understand the 762x39 will have less recoil.

NewGuy1911
04-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi, nyc71, "I own both the Scout & SOCOM, between the two the ladder comes out to play more frequently."

Can you explain this? It seems like many M1A/M14 shooters feel this way. Are the two rifles different, other than one having a 2-2.5" longer barrel?

Has Springfield's quality improved? A few SOCOM 16 M1A owners need to fine-tune/adjust there rifles. Shim gas tube, replace stock, front sight, clean/replace trigger, hand load for shorter barrel,...

H2O MAN
04-12-2012, 12:58 PM
The barrel on the SOCOM is 16.25" and the barrel on a Scout is 18.0". The difference in barrel length is 1.75", but once you install a muzzle device on each barrel the SOCOM's proprietary gas lock/muzzle device makes the difference in OAL greater than 1.75". Now install an SEI DC Vortex on both rifles and the difference in OAL between a SOCOM and a Scout shrinks to just over 0.50".

nyc71
04-12-2012, 1:03 PM
The only mod done the the SOCOM was the trigger, I send it to Triggerworks to remove the slack. My reasoning is because the Scout has the wood stock & I don't want to ding it. Beside sometimes I take the SOCOM to the range at work.
Btw I do reloading otherwise I would have a problem ($$$) feeding them. I've tried to post a pic from my phone but is not letting me.

"Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy"- Alexander Hamilton

HPGunner
04-12-2012, 1:17 PM
M14forum.com is the place to go. That's where I read up on everything I need to know about my standard m1a. If I were to do it all over again or buy another one I'd go with the scout because it's the best of both worlds. Not as clumsy as the 22" but can use the same gas block and front sight as a standard model if you ever are looking for USGI replacement parts.

I think someday I'll put some funds together and get an LRB rifle

And yes feeding it ammo is expensive. .50 to .75 cents a round depending on what you feed it. (Miwall reloads have worked well for me at $50 cents/round)

AragornElessar86
04-12-2012, 10:30 PM

We're talking about the Saiga .308. Same round as the SOCOM.

soulfresh
04-12-2012, 10:40 PM
hope this helps...visuals always work better for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ybkiUl30Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owqfEdj-WeE

IrishPirate
04-12-2012, 10:51 PM
http://www.nortonfirearms.com/ecom/images/AA9626-1.jpg
a6ybkiUl30Q

It's very high on my list of guns i need...

and what's with people complaining about how loud a gun is??? do you really expect guns to be quiet??? seems like a weird thing to throw out about a gun when asked for an opinion..."it's loud"...really? what about water?..."it's wet"....:cool:

Hoop
04-12-2012, 10:56 PM
and what's with people complaining about how loud a gun is???

Factory muzzle device on them is a bear. Too bad they can't have flash hiders here in cali.

joefrank64k
04-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Have a SOCOM and love it. Accurate, hard-hitting, great sights, 20-round mags. No problems at all. It just plain works!

A neat example of the M1A rifle. And, I'm partial to carbines! :)

NewGuy1911
04-13-2012, 9:59 AM
Hi,

Irish Pirate, thanks for posting the picture. A picture of both the SOCOM (what does that mean?) and Scout would be great. What is the difference between the two, barrel length and front sight? A fat/wide front sight would drive me nuts!

H2O, I have a feeling you pay more in taxes than I make (in a year!), don't take that wrong (I'm jealous). What is the SEI DC Vortex? Having about the same overall length as the SOCOM 16 M1A with a barrel length about the same as the Scout would be a winner.

I'm a very practical guy; that said I do like well crafted/designed tools (not crazy about plastic and blacked-out). Have no need, what-so-ever, to become a mall-neja or want-to-be marine; I have the greatest respect for the men and women that defend our Country.

After some 30-35 years the firearm bug has bit me. I now have a 1911 45 acp and it looks like I would enjoy a M1A socom 16/Scout/Bush Carbine/Tanker-type rifle.

Would prefer a "nice walnut stock," though!!!

Standard
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I want one, a Scout specifically. Wish I could afford it. Just about tired of dealing with grip wraps and bullet buttons.

r8dr rider
04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
^thats why I got a Socom II. In my opinion its to the M1A as the M4 is to the M16. Shorter barrel and modular.
Does one need all those rails? Probably not, but does one need all those rails on a midlength AR?

H2O MAN
04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi,

H2O, I have a feeling you pay more in taxes than I make (in a year!), don't take that wrong (I'm jealous). What is the SEI DC Vortex? Having about the same overall length as the SOCOM 16 M1A with a barrel length about the same as the Scout would be a winner.

Would prefer a "nice walnut stock," though!!!

I have attached and image (click on the link below) that compares the 16.25" barrel with SEI's SOCOM 16 kit and a DC Vortex with an 18.0" MK14/Scout/Bush length barrel that also has a DC Vortex installed.

Adding the proper GLFS and DC Vortex makes the SOCOM a bit longer and the Scout a bit shorter.

I recently replaced the DC Vortex on my CQB-16 with SEI's DC brake.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/1005-SS-Brake.jpg

Here is a SOCOM 16 in USGI Birch

http://www.athenswater.com/images/SOCOM16-Birch.jpg

NewGuy1911
04-13-2012, 1:47 PM
Thanks H2O Man!..........Any California State problems with any of the above improvements?

I imagine the handling would be the same.

nyc71
04-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Here are the scout & SOCOM

Mossy Man
04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
dad has one

shoots good, but feels a little weird compared to his standard M1A model

IrishPirate
04-14-2012, 1:59 PM
here's the link to SA's site that shows you all the tech/specs about the M1A's
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=22

Here's the Scout
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=36

Here's the SOCOM 16
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=35

I believe the stocks are interchangeable, but I don't know for sure...